Best DAC/AMP option for Sennheiser HD650
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Mompy7777

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, its my first time on this great forum

By no means I consider myself an audiophyle, I feel more like an enthusiast with basic knowledge about this hobby

Saying that, I will be gettin on december one of the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX edition (basically a HD650) for $200, I also own a pair of ATH-M50x and a Sennheiser HD 518, for both of them I have been using them without any AMP or DAC equipment thanks to their relatively low impedance.

It seems it will be not the case with the HD 6XX and its demanding impedance of 300 ohm and I need your expertise on this matter

I usually use my cans in my laptop from work and on my Samsung S7 Edge, I need a DAC/AMP combo since this laptop provides really plain and boring sound for some reason (urgently needs a good DAC) and my smartphone handles this much better

• I have been thinking about the AudioQuest - DragonFly Red, how does it handle the HD 650s??? Also I read some claims about thing not runny properly on Android

41Gcy2ox6zL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

• Also I have been reading a lot of recomendations about the Mojo - Chord as the best solution, but the price of $500 worries me a little bit since its more expensive that any of my headphones, but still I can consider it if you guys tell me that is the only proper way to power the HD 650s on the go and unlock its true potential

mojo-optimized_1_1.jpg

What do you guys think? Any other suggestion that wont blow up my wallet and still justifies having a pair of HD 5XX?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 26
If I was to spend $500. I'd definitely look into a Schiit modi multibit for a dac. And possibly a Vali2. There's a lot people that will suggest the Project ember as well.

If you don't mind something that takes up a little space. I'm currently using an Emotiva Basx a-100. I sold much more expensive amplifiers as I preferred the emo to them.
https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/100

For less than $500 shipped to your door new. You can't beat this combo.

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 26
The Mojo is probably the best portable-style piece of gear for you, but I agree it is a bit expensive.

Consider this though: Many people, perhaps even a majority, of new HD650 owners go straight to the Magni2/Modi2 stack like I did. That stack is about $200 to $300 new depending on if you get the Uber versions. The Schiit stack, O2 ODAC, and JDS Element are considered by many to be the "acceptable minimum" for running an HD650, and I would agree. Any less money and you aren't getting very much performance from the headphones, and will likely sell the setup when you realize how much better the headphones can sound with a small increase in budget.

That being said, a lot of people go from there and upgrade once more to something like the Bifrost/Asgard. This combo, along with others like Valhalla 2 or Jotunheim (pardon my excessive Schiit examples, but I think it makes good sense), are endgame for a lot of audio enthusiasts. It makes sense also, stopping at Valhalla 2 and Bifrost, because although the 650's scale well, at that point you're paying so much extra money to go from 92% to 95% as good as the cans will ever sound. It's not practical.

Aaaaand since the Bifrost/Valhalla 2 combo is $750, and people STILL recommend getting the Chord Mojo and staying there, that makes the little portable Mojo a pretty good deal.

/end 5 mile long train of thought

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 26
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I was checking the items at Amazon and spending something like $300 in a DAC/AMP combo seems reasonable, I have just one inconvenience: I travel a lot with my laptop and I wish something more easy to move, like a 2 in 1 solution for dac/amp such thing exist apart from the MOJO (doesn't need to be that small)
Also, the Dragonfly Red it's out of the question?

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 26
Well if you can waits couple of days I'll have a Mojo in hand and can give a better assessment on how it does over other things I have. It does very good with the dap I have the QP1R and also what I think is probably the best amp I've heard with the 650's the Bottlehead Crack.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 26
Thanks,
Have you guys heard about the ifi iSDS? It's supposed to be the MOJO killer at better price
I've heard good things, I think either one would be fine for your needs!

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 26
Thanks,
Have you guys heard about the ifi iSDS? It's supposed to be the MOJO killer at better price
I have not heard of a iSDS is this something new? idsd yes but not a iSDS.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 26
Jul 5, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 26
I have not a/b'ed them so can't say for sure but I don't think it's a Mojo killer. It might have more power but I don't think it beats it in sound quality but that is just my recollection of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back