Best dac/amp for PS4
Feb 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

samuelfox97

New Head-Fier
What are some good Dacs and amps that are compatible with PS4 via the optical in port on the PS4? Prefer high quality over cheap material. I am using sennheiser game one headphones and the controller does not provide enough power for these headphones to be loud enough.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 35
It really depends on your budget, but you can get good quality sound on the cheap. I recommend looking at what Schiit has to offer, such as the Modi 2 / Magni 2 stack. That'll have plenty of power for the sennheiser game one headphones without being overkill.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 35
Oh dear that's right, the mic
eek.gif
. I don't have any experience working with mics and headphone DAC's / amps, and I'm not having any luck researching that. Does the mic have a separate connector or does it all go through the stereo out? I don't even know if the optical out can take a microphone signal. I'm having difficulty finding anything else in that price range that takes optical, tho.

Edit: But, what you would do in the event of running a DAC and amp setup is connect the optical out to the DAC then the line out on the DAC to the line in of the amp.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 35
so my game ones have 2 seperate 3.5 mm jack. one is for the audio, and the other is for the mic. i have been using a Sennheiser PCV 05 Combo Audio Adapter that combines into one for my ps4 controller and everything works fine there. i know that lots of people have problems with their mics not working properly when using a dac/amp with the ps4 but i know it is at least capable of working good. i have heard of some custom rigged up things people have tried like a usb mic adapter thing but i would rather get a dac/amp that can do it all the mic and everything.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 35
Yeah, seems the issue is more complicated than I initially thought. I've never jerryrigged a setup with a mic + sound source through an amp / dac, and I haven't heard of anything that can work with this setup specifically. Here's a thread that's pretty close to what you're trying to do: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690663/ps4-with-3-5mm-x2-type-headset

It appears that the general setup is the pass the mic into the controller and PS4 optical -> dac/amp -> headphones, but it seems like everyone's having problems hearing themselves at the same time, as the audio from the mic isn't playing through the optical out to the mixamp / dac/amp. I don't know what the best solution is.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 35
What do you mean hearing themselves at the same time. Like when you talk into the mic you can't hear yourself talk? I don't care if game audio and chat audio are combined. In fact that's what I need. And idk if this is a fix but the most recent PS4 firmware update has a option where you go into settings>devices>audio devices> and then you have 2 settings at the top that say "input device" and another that says "output device" and when I have my headset connected to my controller and in "output device" i can either click on "headset connected to controller" or "Tv or amplifier" and I'm thinking that is what will fix this mic issue but I'm not sure cuz I don't have a dac/amp to test this

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 35
What do you mean hearing themselves at the same time. Like when you talk into the mic you can't hear yourself talk?

Yes.

I don't care if game audio and chat audio are combined. In fact that's what I need. And idk if this is a fix but the most recent PS4 firmware update has a option where you go into settings>devices>audio devices> and then you have 2 settings at the top that say "input device" and another that says "output device" and when I have my headset connected to my controller and in "output device" i can either click on "headset connected to controller" or "Tv or amplifier" and I'm thinking that is what will fix this mic issue but I'm not sure cuz I don't have a dac/amp to test this

I don't think that a dac / amp or dac or amp will be compatible with a microphone, tho, because the signal will have to travel in reverse to what it normally does. You'll have to use the optical out separately to get game audio to play through the dac / amp -> headphones. You could just connect an amp to the controller out thru the speaker part of your headphones but if your audio quality is already bad it won't be any better.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 35
  Take this with a grain of salt because rocket science and gaming are pretty much the same to me...
But what about the Astro mixamp? According to their website, they output 100dB at 125Hz

Easiest solution for sure

Yes.

I don't think that a dac / amp or dac or amp will be compatible with a microphone, tho, because the signal will have to travel in reverse to what it normally does. You'll have to use the optical out separately to get game audio to play through the dac / amp -> headphones. You could just connect an amp to the controller out thru the speaker part of your headphones but if your audio quality is already bad it won't be any better.

I think that is correct.

And to OP,you dont need a DAC too,just an amp.

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 35
So my best solution is to just get a mixamp then? Also I forgot to mention that I don't need any surround sound capabilities either. I am open to mixamp as long as it's still really good quality like the same as a dac/amp setup. I don't mind an Astro mixamp I just have heard of so many people having problems with them like hissing and from the amp itself and a slight buzz sound in your ear when you use your mic

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 35
So my best solution is to just get a mixamp then? Also I forgot to mention that I don't need any surround sound capabilities either. I am open to mixamp as long as it's still really good quality like the same as a dac/amp setup. I don't mind an Astro mixamp I just have heard of so many people having problems with them like hissing and from the amp itself and a slight buzz sound in your ear when you use your mic

most amp/dac combos are designed for music listening,whereas MixAmp Pro is designed for gaming,so if for whatever reason youre looking for audiophile quality,then Id go for an amp/dac...I just have zero idea how to incorporate one into a PS4 and make the mic work too.

As far as buzzing/hissing I hear no buzzing at all,there is a slight noise floor,but nothing to complain about,and the only time you hear it is when youre first loading up and the rest of the system is dead silent. 

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 35
So what mixamp should I get then? I don't need any surround sound capabilities. All I want is to be able to increase my max volume for my headset(sennheiser game one) using a mixamp or whatever is compatible with my setup and also be able to use the boom mic on the headphones flawlessly. I have heard that the best mixamp from astro is the old mixamp 5.8 but I have no idea where to find that. If you guys could include links to all that I would need for my certain setup that would be great

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 35
Try asking here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back