Best DAC/Amp for HD600 for $200?
Dec 1, 2008 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sirmasterboy

New Head-Fier
I am purchasing a new pair of HD600s and am looking for recommendations for a good DAC/Amp to drive them properly. I really don't want to spend over $200 for it either.

I was told the iBasso D2 Boa was a great value for $187 and I like the portability option of it. I do not necessarily need portability so my question is what full-size desktop DAC/Amp can I get for under $200? And also how much better than the iBasso D2 Boa will the $200 full-side DAC/Amp sound and is it worth losing that small size and portability for.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't know If I prefer tubes or SS but I know that I would much rather get a SS DAC/Amp for my first setup.

So far all I have seen that is a good DAC/Amp in my price range is the iBasso D2 Boa and the Meier CORDA 2MOVE. Since I don't need the portability though it would be useful I'm sure, I would think a full-size DAC/Amp for the same price would be better sounding. If so, what DAC/Amp is full-size, SS and would sound better than the iBasso or Meier, because if there really aren't any clear choices I think either the iBasso or Meier would do great for my first DAC/Amp.

Also, I would really prefer to get it from some store that will have a warranty and not just from china via eBay.

So if there are options let me know and if not I think I'm leaning toward the iBasso for now.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 9
Dollar for dollar, a home amp will definitely be better than a portable amp. However, a lot of under $200 portable amps are quite decent and have enough power to drive a full headphone.

iBasso D2 is quite good as an amp. Other amp to consider will be Corda 3Move or Zero DAC.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 9
grab a good dedicated home amp. Something like DIY M3 would do a wonderful job, or Gilmore lite is another good choice. After that, grab a decent standalone dac when you saved up some more.

I advise against going with portable amps. HD600 is a completely different beast powered from well built home amps.

I for one, isn't going to bother HD650 until I get a zana deux.

If you're not willing to do either, grab another pair of headphones that can run rather easily.

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 9
The only problem is that I don't really have the ability to build my own M3 Amp. Also, the Gilmore lite is $400 for the base unit and I still have no DAC. Is there no decent home full-size DAC/Amp combo for $300 max?

Dec 1, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirmasterboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem is that I don't really have the ability to build my own M3 Amp. Also, the Gilmore lite is $400 for the base unit and I still have no DAC. Is there no decent home full-size DAC/Amp combo for $300 max?

You might want to look into the Octavart DAC/amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back