Best DAC/Amp Combo with a Cowon J3 and Westone 3?
Jul 1, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:
Regardless of what you decide to buy, I don't think it'll make a "huge" difference at all. The amp and dac section of the J3 is quite good, so if you want an additional amp to go with it, I reckon it'll be more like a change in sound signature.

Thanks,

I might just buy an ipod classic then rock box it then buy an amp/dac from there. I heard J3s dont have line out so an amp or a dac wont do much although I dont know that they mean by line out...

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Thanks,

I might just buy an ipod classic then rock box it then buy an amp/dac from there. I heard J3s dont have line out so an amp or a dac wont do much although I dont know that they mean by line out...

Like I explained in my previous post. A lineout signal is the signal straight from the internal dac, It's the same signal a cd player will have via the rca output. It's an unamplified signal in it's purest form. The headphone out is the signal after it's left the internal dac, then processed through the internal headphone amp. It's not the pure signal off the internal dac like a cd player or stand alone dac would have via the rca out. If you use a headphone out to another amp, you will be double amping the signal, which means a higher noise floor with higher level of distortion. And it may do more harm than good.

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Like I explained in my previous post. A lineout signal is the signal straight from the internal dac, It's the same signal a cd player will have via the rca output. It's an unamplified signal in it's purest form. The headphone out is the signal after it's left the internal dac, then processed through the internal headphone amp. It's not the pure signal off the internal dac like a cd player or stand alone dac would have via the rca out. If you use a headphone out to another amp, you will be double amping the signal, which means a higher noise floor with higher level of distortion. And it may do more harm than good.

+1

Thanks,

I might just buy an ipod classic then rock box it then buy an amp/dac from there. I heard J3s dont have line out so an amp or a dac wont do much although I dont know that they mean by line out

To be honest the price of a $700 amp/dac combo + an ipod classic would be $1000+, and in that price range I'd rather upgrade from a W3, which barely need that much amplification to sounds good, into a pair of custom IEM, like the UM Miracle, which is good to go with your J3. My point is you don't have to focus too much on your source. The IEM upgrade itself will almost always be more efficient.

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:
+1

To be honest the price of a $700 amp/dac combo + an ipod classic would be $1000+, and in that price range I'd rather upgrade from a W3, which barely need that much amplification to sounds good, into a pair of custom IEM, like the UM Miracle, which is good to go with your J3. My point is you don't have to focus too much on your source. The IEM upgrade itself will almost always be more efficient.

Well I dont know where to go to get my custom moulds here in NZ. and the only customs ill like to get is JH13 or JH16 but are way beyond my budget.

I think I might go with an ipod classic + RSA SR71A (just not liking the fact that its not rechargeable and have to change batteries every few days which is going to cost) or maybe the Pico Slim or TTVJ Slim. With a RSA LOD

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:
Well I dont know where to go to get my custom moulds here in NZ. and the only customs ill like to get is JH13 or JH16 but are way beyond my budget.

I think I might go with an ipod classic + RSA SR71A (just not liking the fact that its not rechargeable and have to change batteries every few days which is going to cost) or maybe the Pico Slim or TTVJ Slim. With a RSA LOD

You can just find an audiologist to get your ear impression and order a pair of custom online. But it's up to you 
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #23 of 30
You ask them to violate your ears with viscous fluid.

Or just call a few audiologists and ask whether they have experience doing ear impressions for CIEMs. 

I would finalize the CIEM order before getting ear impressions though. Deciding on colors, art etc can be time consuming. 

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:
You ask them to violate your ears with viscous fluid.

Or just call a few audiologists and ask whether they have experience doing ear impressions for CIEMs. 

I would finalize the CIEM order before getting ear impressions though. Deciding on colors, art etc can be time consuming. 

Lol what are ciems? And seriously what do I say? Fill my ears up with silicone?

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #25 of 30
My mom used to work for an audiologist. They take ear impressions all the time for custom fit hearing aids. Yes they will use a silicon or polyvinyl siloxane material. Just call around and tell them you need impressions made for custom inner ear monitors (custom fit inner ear headphones as most won't know what an inner ear monitor is).

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

I really think you're exaggerating a bit here. I've seen plenty of people around forums pairing their J3's and C2's with Pico Slims, Arrow's, and Mustang 51's and they have no issues.
Not everyone needs to have an Apple toy just to enjoy the quality you can get out of portable amps.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #27 of 30
No, I'm not exaggerating. And I never said you had to have an apple device. There are plenty of daps that have true lineouts, I never said anything about having to use an apple product. I also said some do use cowons with amps. And that you can get away with using an amp if you lower the volume control. Everything I pointed out were facts, no opinions. The j3 doesn't have a lineout...that's a fact. If you use an amp with it through the headphone out you  are double amping the signal....that's a fact. Using a headphone out in combination with a portable amp will have a much higher increase in distortion vs a true lineout.....and again all facts. And yes some people still use it that way and many don't because they see it's not needed since the built in amp is plenty powerful enough for most portable headphone/iems.....again all facts. Your post is pointless and baseless. And also putting words in my mouth by insinuating that I only suggested apple products.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

maybe, maybe not.  there are plenty of cases on consumer electronics where a line out and a headphone out could be identical.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 4, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #29 of 30
Of course, but those are the ones that don't actually have a built in headphone amp. The headphone out is actually a lineout with an attenuated circuit, basically a lineout with a volume control. The j3 from everything I've read actually have a headphone amp, so it's not merely a lineout with an attenuated circuit or volume control. There's a big difference between the two.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #30 of 30
well based on my experience..

TTVJ slim with a LOD out of an iphone sounds heaps crap compared to being paired with just a mini to mini connector on the Sony X player

This is with twags v2 paired with the sm3.

The 1st set up resulted in very digital sound which was cold and not enjoyable. soundstage was only slightly better, but the sound was off.
It sounded better from the iphone alone, which was more clear and cohesive

The 2nd set up helped enormously with soundstage and bass weight. Detail retrieval was higher too

This was using max volume on the x player and mild volume on the TTVJ slim amp.
The sound is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back