Best Cymbal Response from a Mid-fi IEM?
Aug 3, 2020 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jenkinsontherun

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

After testing multiple IEMs, both expensive and cheap, I have found out what I want from an IEM, especially given my musical taste in classic rock.

As strange as it sounds, I want something that has a good treble response for cymbals. The underlying strengths of an IEM that will give a good cymbal response are quite obvious, and I am sure many of you know what it takes (eg. refinement, extension, the list goes on).

Rather than start a conversation about WHAT leads to good treble extension, I want to take the shortcut and ask for recommendations.

Budget $300-500. Ideally warm signature as well.

To give an ANTI-example, I bought the HD700's (not an IEM), and the treble is absolutely terrible on those. Sorry for HD700 lovers out there.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 15
Maybe u can check out the IBasso IT100.

It is a U shaped signature, with both warm subbass and slightly bright treble. The treble is very non fatiguing and non sibilant despite being airy and good in extension (I'm treble sensitive so YMMV). I find the treble threads a fine line well between having good extension without being harsh. I find cymbals sound very natural and not splashy/artificial on it. Bass is also fast for a single DD set, no midbass bleed that encroaches into the mids/voices.

So the tonality is quite good for this set. Cons wise, it has some driver flex and technicalities like soundstage, details, imaging are above average for a single DD set, but it might lose to multi BA/hybrids in this area. So it is not meant for critical listening or being overly analytical (you might need to look elsewhere for this), but more to really just enjoy the music for long listening sessions due to the fatigue free tonality.

U can check it out or ask the others in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...s-with-one-purpose-to-enjoy-the-music.934980/

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 15
Cayin YB04 - neutral and natural. Great extension and very, very easy sounding. The only con is it could use more subbass extension. For 350$ on drop or 400$ on occasion.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 15
Maybe u can check out the IBasso IT100.

It is a U shaped signature, with both warm subbass and slightly bright treble. The treble is very non fatiguing and non sibilant despite being airy and good in extension (I'm treble sensitive so YMMV). I find the treble threads a fine line well between having good extension without being harsh. I find cymbals sound very natural and not splashy/artificial on it. Bass is also fast for a single DD set, no midbass bleed that encroaches into the mids/voices.

So the tonality is quite good for this set. Cons wise, it has some driver flex and technicalities like soundstage, details, imaging are above average for a single DD set, but it might lose to multi BA/hybrids in this area. So it is not meant for critical listening or being overly analytical (you might need to look elsewhere for this), but more to really just enjoy the music for long listening sessions due to the fatigue free tonality.

U can check it out or ask the others in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...s-with-one-purpose-to-enjoy-the-music.934980/

They are amazing.
I can’t believe I let them sit for a few days before I tried them.
I’ve tried a few IEMs years ago...sold them all...figured I’d try these and glad I did.
My first impression: insane
Cymbals snap-crisp, Sub-bass...and everything in between.

Attachments

• F6000338-A63E-455D-8AF5-A108CF8DD9C8.jpeg
    F6000338-A63E-455D-8AF5-A108CF8DD9C8.jpeg
    902.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 15
They are amazing.
I can’t believe I let them sit for a few days before I tried them.
I’ve tried a few IEMs years ago...sold them all...figured I’d try these and glad I did.
My first impression: insane
Cymbals snap-crisp, Sub-bass...and everything in between.

Wow is that an IBasso CF01 wireless BT adapter???

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 15
Wow is that an IBasso CF01 wireless BT adapter???

Yes...beyond amazing...I came into both of these with no expectations before ordering...7 years away from the hobby...I wanted something “new”...I feel that not only is the IT00 incredible but this adapter/amp is beyond words...weightless on, comfortable...and how they drive the IEM...straight out of the box 📦
PROFOUND

Attachments

• B6D11A17-4CF2-4D07-A3F3-CD8D9C29E2CE.jpeg
    B6D11A17-4CF2-4D07-A3F3-CD8D9C29E2CE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 8, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 15
Yes...beyond amazing...I came into both of these with no expectations before ordering...7 years away from the hobby...I wanted something “new”...I feel that not only is the IT00 incredible but this adapter/amp is beyond words...weightless on, comfortable...and how they drive the IEM...straight out of the box 📦
PROFOUND

Where did you buy them?

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back