Best consumer reference headphones
Sep 28, 2018 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

astralpen

New Head-Fier
i am a recording engineer looking for headphones that best represent the average consumer sound. I have reference headphones and monitors for mixing and mastering, but want something as a final check that has a consumer bias. I already have and use apple earbuds. I am thinking either Bose QuietComfort 35 or Beats Solo3. What do you all think?

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Might depend on the type of audio your editing/mixing?
If your into hard rock or metal, lots of bass might be your preference in a headphone.
For classical, more treble and bass type headphones (less mids)
Or if your more into vocals, more mids, less treble/bass.

I'm sure we can find you something like the Bose & Best, but for 2/3 the price.
Can't see you have presented any good reason for buying wireless headphones (Bose).

Also what exactly are you going to be plugging the headphones into?
Audio Interface or computer or other?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 8
i am a recording engineer looking for headphones that best represent the average consumer sound. I have reference headphones and monitors for mixing and mastering, but want something as a final check that has a consumer bias. I already have and use apple earbuds. I am thinking either Bose QuietComfort 35 or Beats Solo3. What do you all think?

No need to have a Bose QC35 or Beats for final check IMO. I'd check it on a Sony MDR-XB550AP for an average consumer headphone instead. If it thumps right on it, there's a good chance it will on the those two models

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 8
Might depend on the type of audio your editing/mixing?
If your into hard rock or metal, lots of bass might be your preference in a headphone.
For classical, more treble and bass type headphones (less mids)
Or if your more into vocals, more mids, less treble/bass.

I'm sure we can find you something like the Bose & Best, but for 2/3 the price.
Can't see you have presented any good reason for buying wireless headphones (Bose).

Also what exactly are you going to be plugging the headphones into?
Audio Interface or computer or other?

The material is broadly psychedelic, retro alternative rock. They will be powered by an iFi iCan Pro with a Crane Song Avocet IIa DAC/monitor controller.

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 8
The material is broadly psychedelic, retro alternative rock. They will be powered by an iFi iCan Pro with a Crane Song Avocet IIa DAC/monitor controller.

Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones (bassy), for a person who listens to any kind of louder or harder rock (or like thump in the audio), from their portable audio device?

Psychedelic music.........maybe headphones that offer more of a balanced and clarity........and more listened to in a quiet home environment.....fairly decent audio hardware (DAC/amp).
Maybe Audio Technica ATH-A990X or AD-900X headphones not really much bass, just enough (for me), and otherwise nice over all sound).
Or maybe Sennheiser HD598 headphones?

Massdrop/Fostex T-X0 and Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X, might be consider to be the "little brother", and at $150, almost most (very close) as good and well liked $300 headphones.

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 8
i am a recording engineer looking for headphones that best represent the average consumer sound.

As suggested above, listeners of different genres typically use different equippment.
You must know your target audience very well to be able to make an educated guess about that representative sound you're seeking.

Since the slightly warm and soft HD650 is liked (or at least not disliked) by most people, it should serve you well.

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 8
As an earphone consumer mass reference (sub $50) I'd recommend signature of the SoundMAGIC E10, RP-HJE125, Beyerdynamic Byron
for headphones I think of the Marshal Major and Sony 1000XM2/1000XM3 which represent something what is most commonly tuned

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back