Best Computer Speakers Under $200?
Sep 7, 2008 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

portaprostud

New Head-Fier
I am looking to replace my desktop speakers. My total budget is under $200 for a three speaker system or $250 total for a 5 speaker system surround sound. What is your speaker system? What's the best available at or below my price point?

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 15
Swans M10s are a good 2.0 choice, Klipsch promedia ultras good for 2.1. Neither is currently in production and you'd most likely have to find them used. Swans might have a 2.1 set out, but if so I'm not well versed in their quality.

My personal opinion based on my experience is that 5.1 isn't a good choice for computer speakers for a few reasons; 1) You'd have to go past your stated budget to get a decent set, 2) Like the 2.x choices I listed above, the good 5.1s are no longer in production, 3) I don't think 5.1 benefits games as much as films, and most computers aren't set up to be dedicated theaters nor are they in a room with acoustics suited for film watching and 4) If you -were- using a PC as a decidated home theater, you'd probably have a receiver and HT speakers.

If you're curious, I have Creative's Gigaworks (5.1) circa 2004, which at the time were rebadged Cambridge speakers. I think the sats are fairly nice while the sub is boomy. From what I've read, current Gigaworks are pretty bad, although their 2.0 set is ok if you don't mind bad bass.

Sep 7, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 15
I have a Logitech 2.1 system on my spare computer (paid $120) and they aren't designed at alll to be accurate.....

They subwoofer has a control for bass, all the way down it booms. It's sloppy, and over done.

I think most pc setups are designed for the kind of people with car systems with stock speakers except 10000watts of boomboom in the trunk.. lol

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 15
Sep 7, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much are Aego Ms and Klipsch Promedia in your part of the world?

The pro-media's go for around 120.00 here.

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 15
Just in case you run into this.. I have the Altec Lansing FX6021. Just recommending that you don't get them.

The mids are pretty nice but the hissing and anemic bass kills it. Not horrible but you can get better for the money.

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprostud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to replace my desktop speakers. My total budget is under $200 for a three speaker system or $250 total for a 5 speaker system surround sound. What is your speaker system? What's the best available at or below my price point?

If you ever come across some Monsoons (They're flat and wide, just google it if you need a image) I say they are really good. Some of 'em may need some work, but the planar satellites are probably good. Even at stock, the highs and mids are great, but the lows are a bit undefined.The better your source, the better they sound.

Of course, you can just get a better amp for the satellites and throw out the sub for a better one.

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by albinoazian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Engine A2s or Ma-Audio BX5as.

x2 on M-Audio, I have the AV40 and they work great as desktop computer speakers. I like them much better than the Klipsch Promedia I used to own.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 15
Yamaha HS7

Higher in budget I'd absolutely go for focal alpha 80, the big dome gives you a pretty good bass representation.

Lower in budget I'd go for mackie cr5.

It's all very personal. I'd say go to a shop and listen to the speakers.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 15
Did anyone notice this thread is from 2008?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back