Best computer soundcard for source with phones?
Mar 11, 2006 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
Going to use full computer as source for my burned cds with dt990.Could someone tell my what best soundcard i should buy to upgrade my sound.May be buying a laptop soon and would like advice on best one for laptop also. Thanks Matt

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 16
ESI Juli@.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 16
I really like the M-Audio Revolution 5.1, as it has superior output characteristics to the Revolution 7.1 and includes a headphone out with an op-amp driving it so doesn't require an amplifier with most headphones. It remains one of the best jack-of-all-trades cards around, with good recording, good playback, good 5.1 output characteristics, and a particularly high quality DAC in one of the positions for great stereo as well.

However, the Emu series of sound cards by Creative are made for recording and as such are excellent stereo sound cards, with better input characteristics (though not, on paper, better output ones) to the M-Audio Revo and most other sound cards I can think of right now.

The X-Fi Music is overpriced, in my opinion, but is not objectively a bad card at all, and presumably would do you well if you wanted to play games as well since it has positional audio options from Creative's giant patent pool that the Revo (or any other card) can't match.

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 16
Yeah, you'll be needing to run into an external amp with some high-end cards.

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 16
I have both Emu 0404 and ESI (or now EGO) Juli@ soundcards (1 in each of 2 computers). The 0404 seems to work best in conjunction with k271s, I much prefer Juli@ with all others (eg. my k340 modded, k240, dt770/80 modded). It's my feeling that overall, the Juli@ card is the most desirable below the more exalted price range of the RME, and Lynx cards.

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 16
10099-mini.jpg

Its one sexy looking soundcard too! As you can see in the picture you can switch the 4 balanced TRSs and the 4 RCAs around.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got mine from eBay.

Not connected, but I ordered it on a Monday and it came Wednesday from Germany.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
I really like the M-Audio Revolution 5.1, as it has superior output characteristics to the Revolution 7.1 and includes a headphone out with an op-amp driving it so doesn't require an amplifier with most headphones. It remains one of the best jack-of-all-trades cards around, with good recording, good playback, good 5.1 output characteristics, and a particularly high quality DAC in one of the positions for great stereo as well.

However, the Emu series of sound cards by Creative are made for recording and as such are excellent stereo sound cards, with better input characteristics (though not, on paper, better output ones) to the M-Audio Revo and most other sound cards I can think of right now.

The X-Fi Music is overpriced, in my opinion, but is not objectively a bad card at all, and presumably would do you well if you wanted to play games as well since it has positional audio options from Creative's giant patent pool that the Revo (or any other card) can't match.

I agree that the Revo 5.1 is probably one of the better cards out there for people running their systems unamped, but now that I have an amp, I'm looking to get an external DAC.

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
I agree that the Revo 5.1 is probably one of the better cards out there for people running their systems unamped, but now that I have an amp, I'm looking to get an external DAC.

That bottom hand covers a lovely optical out. Which I'll be using with a DAC in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 16
Cant really compare with other decent cards, but my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sounds great to me and is supposed to have a good digital out if you want to use an external DAC. You´ll need an amp though, no amp in the card to prevent degradation of other outputs. Should be able to find it at a good price second hand.

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 16
got my Juli@ at djdeals.com it is $129. incl s&h there.

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 16
I have an Audigy2 ZS with the internal breakout box. Would these cards mentioned be better as a headphone output?

Wouldn't the optical out be pretty much the same on any
card for an input into a DAC?

When I use the headphone out jack on the breakout box there is some noise, mostly low level hiss but if I used the optical out that would be totally removed anyway so why should I go for a different sound card in this situation?

I'm already spending a crapload of cash on headphones, amp and a Dac but if the soundcard change would improve things some I'd be all for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back