Best Computer Audio Software (ripper, player, etc.)
Jun 11, 2002 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

wallstreet

100+ Head-Fier
I'm first and formost a computer person and I listen to all my audio and stuff from there. I'm interested in hearing your favorite software and such for music playback, and stuff like Ripping Cds. I am also interested in what format you guys ripp your cds too ... I know that playing straight from cds are better, but I just want to know what I should use to store my favorite cds on my HD. Thanks.

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 18
Ripping, EAC
Playing, Winamp w/ MAD plugin for MP3s.
Encoding to MP3s, Lame
Making a lossless copy, Monkey's Audio.

Jun 11, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 18
Hey Nezer; what is the MAD plugin? and for that matter Monkeys Audio?
All that other stuff is good stuff. I use winamp but I have never liked it. I still think everyone is short changing Musicmatch.

Jun 11, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 18
MAD is an MP3 decoder... The chances are, you won't be able the hear the difference between its output and that of the default winamp decoder.
And it has nothing to do with Monkey's Audio
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 18
Monkey's Audio btw is a media format that is lossless, which means that you shouldn't be able to hear the difference between the .ape files and CD's ... keyword being shouldn't. You'll need a hudge HD to store many CD's though as monkey's audio isn't a whole lot smaller than wav files, and will easily run you 200+ MBs per cd you ripp.

Jun 11, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 18
I found Monkey's Audio and downloaded it. I like the way it works. I will use it for storing some songs for short times. Maybe if I ever get that second hard drive, I could store a lot more music this way. Then again, I got those two portable mp3 players I gotta feed. Thanks for the tips.

Jul 1, 2002 at 9:19 AM Post #14 of 18
Ripping: EAC (Exact Audio Copy)
Encoder (lossy): MPC (musepack)
Encoder (lossless): Monkey's Audio
Player: Winamp with Enhancer plugin
Wave editor: Cool Edit

MPC (musepack) is an audio format like mp3. It was designed to provide transparency at bitrates > 160 kbs. I have used the format for quite a while and the sound quality of the encoded files has been very good (still the case after encoding over 500 CDs). In fact the quality is so good that generally there's a problem of finding samples where MPC does not perform satisfactory. Currently at > 160 kbs you won't find a better lossy format quality-wise.

-=Maxx=-

P.S. Greets to MTRH !

Jul 1, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #15 of 18
Ripping: EAC
Encoding: LAME (alt-preset standard)
Playing: WinAmp, w/ CD Reader input plugin, sometimes Shibatch SuperEQ or RTEQ.
Wave editor: CoolEdit Pro 1.2a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back