Best Components /w Senn Hd595 PURELY for Gaming
Nov 20, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #31 of 37
This is not quite correct. Amplifiers are made to produce a clear signal and reproduction fo what is at the input. What signal you send to it doesn't make a difference in that sense. If you want to play games using cans that require a seperate amplifier then you need to use an amplifier it will not hurt the imaging or sound just because you are using a amplifier for your headphones.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #32 of 37
IMHO no amp required for those cans.

Settings you NEED:

Game Mode:
CMSS 3D - ON

Speaker Configuration - HEADPHONES (optimize speaker output for headphones)

Crystalizer - ON (especially for Senns - try it at 50% but you may need it higher to make out footsteps properly)

Next step if you're playing competitively:
New cans, AT's are hard to beat on value here. Then sound card upgrade, ideally Auzentech Prelude but cheaper Xfi (proper Xfi) card will do.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not quite correct. Amplifiers are made to produce a clear signal and reproduction fo what is at the input. What signal you send to it doesn't make a difference in that sense. If you want to play games using cans that require a seperate amplifier then you need to use an amplifier it will not hurt the imaging or sound just because you are using a amplifier for your headphones.

Most amplifier were made/tested with certain music styles in mind, not games. Getting an audiophile amp to play CS, it's a waste of money - IMO. I doubt, CS developer used a high class recording studio when recording footsteps or gun fire. So no, even if you use a 90.000 $ amplifier you won't get a realistic reproduction, cause there wasn't any to begin with.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #34 of 37
I understand what you mean using a amplifier for this task is a bit of overkill. I just meant that if he needs to use a amplifier because of his particular heapdhone choice the amplifier won't hurt the imaging etc.

Most games out are 16/44.1 or 16/48 sound files or even Mp3 or other lossy compression, that being said I would rather have the best reproduction of those files I can then have a cheaper low grade soundcard or low grade cans knocking down the quality of the signal.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #35 of 37
grk: What clan? I don't play TF2 competitively anymore, but I was in FR and pure.
I'm sure many gamers will recommend the ATH-AD700 or similar audio technica headphones to you, but I honestly don't like them much for TF2. They're great for other games, but I think TF2 has a pretty crappy sound field in terms of pinpointing where people are exactly - especially for gauging distance. The ATH headphones exaggerate this because they have a massive soundstage that isn't controlled as well as some of headphones, IMO. I much preferred my DT880's for TF2 (and pretty much all games, it's just a bigger difference in TF2). With the 880s I definitely found it easier to track sounds in TF2. They're also pretty neutral cans, so explosions and other sounds won't easily overpower sounds that are important (jumping/footsteps/swimming/sg swivel/AC revving/etc). I think running your XFi with 880s would be a great setup for the money. Lemme know if you need help with anything.

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by grkbigpoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah im in cevo atm for TF2 and well be joining another league soon. I started out with CS 1.3, years ago and then gradually went through CS 1.3/.4/.5/.6 CS:S, COD1-2-3-4, BF2142, and more = /

ATM im focusing on TF2 so i want any hardware/software that can make me excel at that game.

The weird thing is that at one point, i got fed up with the creative drivers and i uninstalled everything from drivers to volume panel and all taht stuff. And then i restarted the comp and it found the oldest drivers for creative which was like from 2005 and i tried playing TF2 with that, and i put the game settings to 2.1 speaker and i actually had some sort of a 3D environment for like 2 hours. People would run past me and up steps and i could hear exactly where they were. then i closed the game and started playing the next day and it wasnt there anymore. and i havent been able to reproduce that since. So maybe its my card malfunctioning? i dont know.

or maybe its my settings, cuz i read that you have to play around with the:
1)windows sound settings +Bass + Treble
2)Soundcard settings + 3DSS + Crystallizer
3)ingame settings

try installing the latest x-fi drivers and use these settings

game mode , cmss3d ON, snd_digital surround 1(snd_legacy_surround 0 for orange box games), speakers 2.1 mode (NOT headphone mode, much clearer audio and positioning especially when using quality headphones, use this audio file as a test if you don't believe me Holophonic Sound - 2Loop.com ) game and xp control panel options set to 5.1 ( Guru3D.com Forums - View Single Post - X-Fi CMSS-3D Headphone )

please note that you need first to install THX console (found in the drivers cd) and launch it at least once in order to tweak your thx.ini file located somewhere in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Creative\Spi , once you find it use these values
[Spatializer]
2=89
3=1
4=89
5=1

then set your x-fi control panel speaker mode to 2.1 instead of headphones and reboot, DON't open the thx console again or your speaker angles will be back to +60/-60,for more info about this tweak check these links out, [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D better for surround gaming? X-FI 3D positional sound through headphones with CMSS 3D. - nV News Forums

If you want to play games like BF2 prey and ut2k4 where elevation filter is vital and works flawlessly switch back to headphone mode and set macroFX and elevation filter to ON instead of auto.

btw crystalizer EQ and svm should be disabled from the game console when using quality headphones too, hope i helped
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back