Best Closed headphones?
Oct 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

OmarSy

Head-Fier
I was wanting to know what the best closed headphones for let's say rock music would be.
I was wanting to listen to rock music for the most part. and sound leakage is an issue with the open headphones.
So I was just wondering what you guys thought. My budget is around $150 give or take.

~Thanks in advance.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
I was wanting to know what the best closed headphones for let's say rock music would be.
I was wanting to listen to rock music for the most part. and sound leakage is an issue with the open headphones.
So I was just wondering what you guys thought. My budget is around $150 give or take.

~Thanks in advance.

Do you want these for mobile use or at home? Do you have an amp and/or dac? 

Off the top of my head I can think maybe:

DT770
V-Moda M80
Audio Technica M-50
If you are up for some modding Fostex tp50rp with modding sound epic. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Do you want these for mobile use or at home? Do you have an amp and/or dac? 

Off the top of my head I can think maybe:

DT770
V-Moda M80
Audio Technica M-50
If you are up for some modding Fostex tp50rp with modding sound epic. 

This headphone selection was for a friend he wanted to spend around $150 and I suggested the ultrasone HFI 680's without an AMP.
What would you suggest for home use?

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 8
I have heard the 770s once and loved them. Out of everything listed I think they are amazing headphones, and tough too. If he has not soundcard with atleast some type of amp they will be a little hard to drive being 80 ohms. the 680s are 75 ohms and are not bad. Granted the volume will still be pretty loud but if you like to blast music you MIGHT feel them lacking. For good sound I would say the m50s or m80s. m80s are on ear but isolation is really nice. 

another option is if you want the 770s (80 ohm version) or the 680s you can see if they are loud enough and if not you can get a cheap amp. Fiio has a 20 dollar e6 amp that would probably get the job done. Sorry if I have some bad grammer. I am kind of out of it after staying up all night doing work for a class lol. 

cheers

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I have heard the 770s once and loved them. Out of everything listed I think they are amazing headphones, and tough too. If he has not soundcard with atleast some type of amp they will be a little hard to drive being 80 ohms. the 680s are 75 ohms and are not bad. Granted the volume will still be pretty loud but if you like to blast music you MIGHT feel them lacking. For good sound I would say the m50s or m80s. m80s are on ear but isolation is really nice. 

another option is if you want the 770s (80 ohm version) or the 680s you can see if they are loud enough and if not you can get a cheap amp. Fiio has a 20 dollar e6 amp that would probably get the job done. Sorry if I have some bad grammer. I am kind of out of it after staying up all night doing work for a class lol. 

cheers

No problem at all!
You helped me and that's great!
Now you would suggest  the 680's with a fiio amp?
They are closed correct?

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
No problem at all!
You helped me and that's great!
Now you would suggest  the 680's with a fiio amp?
They are closed correct?

I cannot suggest the 680s as I have not heard them, but the 770s have a nice sexy sound that I just dont know how to explain. They are a favorite for many people for a reason, they just sound good. So my suggestion would be for the DT770s (80ohm because of no amp)

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Careful- 80 ohm in fact suffers the most without serious amplification. See zombiex's beyer roundup for an explanation. They are also the most unbalanced closed headphone I've owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back