Best Closed Headphones with Wide Sound stage under $300
May 30, 2020 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

KING DRANZER

100+ Head-Fier
I am searching for Best Closed Headphones with Wide Sound-stage which I know is hard without spending bit high. But what is the best we can get for under $300 range. Are there any recommendations. Use gaming, streaming and recording. Most importantly it should have neutral, clean and flat audio profile. Comfortable for long sessions.

Edit:
List I already considered:
Beyerdynamics DT-770 Series
Sennheiser HD 569
SONY MDR-1AM2

Sadly SONY MDR-7520 is discontinued in Europe(Netherlands) which had very decent sound stage for a closed back and had neutral and clear sound profile. I am trying to find something better than that.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 25
The Mod House Argons are going to be the widest you can find under $300 in my opinion, and they're really good planar headphones.
Checkout their site: https://www.modhouseaudio.com/argon-mk3

The MDR-1AM2 will sound somewhat wide, but that's because of its weird tuning. It's still an enjoyable set of headphones, but they have a very warm and thick sound. Great for EDM, hip-hop, pop, and R&B.

The DT770 sound good and will have decent sound stage. The DT770 is a good all-rounder with a pleasing tone for all genres. I would choose the Argons, followed by the DT770, based on sound stage. Though, you can't go wrong with any of these options for that price range.

May 30, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 25
May 31, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 25
I own the A900X, the model that came before the A990Z and the soundstage is really wide, the widest of all the headphones I own and have heard.
But they have less soundstage depth or 3D staging if you will compared to my Sony, Denon and AudioQuest pairs.
The few reviews I have read (Reddit and Amazon) all favor the A990Z over the A900X, but I am not sure if the soundstage is similar in width or better.

May 31, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 25
I own the A900X, the model that came before the A990Z and the soundstage is really wide, the widest of all the headphones I own and have heard.
But they have less soundstage depth or 3D staging if you will compared to my Sony, Denon and AudioQuest pairs.
The few reviews I have read (Reddit and Amazon) all favor the A990Z over the A900X, but I am not sure if the soundstage is similar in width or better.
Yeah but some where I read that Z990Z is narrower than Z900X. But yes I am unable to find any reviews from major sources or discussions on forums like this. There is not even a discussion thread. Why it has already been out for 4Yrs and still no big discussions or reviews.

May 31, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 25
Why it has already been out for 4Yrs and still no big discussions or reviews.
The obvious answer is that very few people on this forum care about this pair of headphones. Considering the vast amount of brands and models I am not that surprised some pairs just don't get the attention. It may be because they were introduced when more affordable planar headphones came out. The A900 and A900x were pretty well known and liked, but to many the difference between those pairs wasn't that big. So why bother with the A990Z if you can get the next big thing. planar for a similar price?
Not saying I agree with that last statement, I would pick the A990Z over any entry level planar headphones, I felt the Oppo PM3 was boring as hell.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 25
Only width? AKG Q701 has really wide unnatural and hollow stage. And no depth.

The best stage I had with closed headphone is TH-900.
Depth is equally important. I was talking about width specifically because that the main drawback of many. There are lot many closed-back headphones which have very decent depth but width is lacking. For examples MDR-1AM2 have very decent imaging based on depth on as how far or close the instrument is but when it comes to covering width it is not that great.

May 31, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 25
The obvious answer is that very few people on this forum care about this pair of headphones. Considering the vast amount of brands and models I am not that surprised some pairs just don't get the attention. It may be because they were introduced when more affordable planar headphones came out. The A900 and A900x were pretty well known and liked, but to many the difference between those pairs wasn't that big. So why bother with the A990Z if you can get the next big thing. planar for a similar price?
Not saying I agree with that last statement, I would pick the A990Z over any entry level planar headphones, I felt the Oppo PM3 was boring as hell.
Which model had planar drivers. Were they better and were they closed-back.

May 31, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 25
Oppo PM3, Audeze Sine, Hifiman HE-400i. The Audeze and Oppo were closed-back. The Oppos were universally liked and praised. (But then came the Meze 99 Classics who took the crown for best headphones under 300-400 USD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back