Best closed headphones under $50
May 21, 2005 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

seiferoth10

New Head-Fier
Basically, I want to upgrade from my lacking set right now (Plantronics Audio .90s
frown.gif
).

I've been doing a little research, and kind of narrowed down my options, but by no means have I considered every set in this price range...

The ones that really attract me are the Sony MDR-XD200s because of all the reviews of it right now.

Oh, and closed would be preferred, but if there is an overwhelming difference between the best closed and opens, I'll no doubt take the better sounding set.

May 21, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 21
No, the SR-60's arent closed. But if you read the thread, it said between open or closed, they would take the better sounding one. And if it's between the hd-201 and the sr-60, the sr-60's look like the better investment.

May 21, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 21
but then...
Quote:

Best closed headphones under $50

Quote:

Oh, and closed would be preferred

I wont argue that the SR60 is good.
But then the poster said/preferred closed, so i suggested the DT231 w/c is cheaper than the SR60's ($59 for the DTs, $69 for the grados @ todd's).

May 21, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 21
I love my DT231s (well, DT234 Pro as they have a mic too) but I really wouldn't call them closed in anything more than the design. They've got very little isolation and leak quite a bit, not the Grado style of having mini speakers strapped to the outside of your cans but I wouldn't put them in the same league as any other closed cans for isolation.

Still a great buy though, if supraaural is your thing. Me, I find it uncomfortable after a couple of hours as I wear glasses and they push my ears into the arms.

May 21, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaack
but then...

I wont argue that the SR60 is good.
But then the poster said/preferred closed, so i suggested the DT231 w/c is cheaper than the SR60's ($59 for the DTs, $69 for the grados @ todd's).

Ah, the DT231. Nice recommendation. Yeah, as far as the HD201's go, they are a great price for the sound, but dont offer that much isolation.

May 21, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 21
the HD201's are senns

here's a review

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ap...st-headphones/

These are only recommended because your looking for headphones under $50. Dont let the price fool you. Check out the thread from above from people who've had em.

On a side note, if you can't find the ones recommended here for under $50, but are just a little bit more, it's really worth your money getting the ones you think are best.

But for $27 shipped how can you go wrong?

May 21, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 21
people here say its no good.

Thread on HD202's:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=hd202

I'll admit, the HD202's look sleeker, but turns out are a waste of money.

You'll also have to take into account from the first post in this thread from me that in the HD201 link that while they are good, you should consider paying the extra to get a better set of headphones. For the $50 mark, the HD201 are a great bet, but for $69 the SR-60(not closed) are an even better bet:

SR-60 Appreciation thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back