Best closed headphone for electronic based music
Sep 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

DefQon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all....

Posted this a long time ago in the non-summit fi section but was told I'd get a better response in the summit-fi section.

What is the best closed form factor headphone one could buy that is excellent for electronic based music, my budget is $2k, and please no Denon and Ultrasone recommendations or any other one's if you have not heard them yourself.

Thanks

EDIT: With electronic music, I mean anything electronic based, EDM, house, trance, techno, hardcore etc etc as I listen to all of them, so sorry for being a bit too broad.

I haven't heard the Fostex TH900 but have a gut feeling that it would do well with electronic based music.....Muppetface can you confirm with this, if it is true?
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 23
Yes I am looking for a closed headphone and I've pre-owned the SR-507 and they didn't do that well with electronic music. My current SR-Lambda Pro bias has better bass response then them.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 23
I essentially asked MF this at one point (without the closed requirement) and the TH900 was the only closed headphone she mentioned. It's next on my list.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 23
What are you worried about when looking for a closed can? Isolation or just not wanting tons of sound going out?

The D7000 would probably get a nod from me but it's at the same place the TH900 is as far as isolation goes. Which is to say...not good.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 23
Pretty much just want good sound and some isolation as my current inventory of headphones all leak like hell due to their open-design. My current best closed headphone for electronic listening is the CD950 + E11 with H gain and equaliser 2, blows all my flagship headphones to dust. I'm now itching to try something a bit better or a lot better.

Isolation doesn't have to be perfect, I've heard the Denon D2/5/7k range and suffice to say that I wasn't impressed with the sound quality they boasted same goes for the Ultrasone LTD ED8 wasn't impressed with it either due to the price/sound ratio it offered. It's either the DX700/1000 or the TH900 and I can't decide yet because no one else has chimed in what they are like with electro based genre's.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 23
What were you pushing the D series with, just wondering?

Quote:
Pretty much just want good sound and some isolation as my current inventory of headphones all leak like hell due to their open-design. My current best closed headphone for electronic listening is the CD950 + E11 with H gain and equaliser 2, blows all my flagship headphones to dust. I'm now itching to try something a bit better or a lot better.

Isolation doesn't have to be perfect, I've heard the Denon D2/5/7k range and suffice to say that I wasn't impressed with the sound quality they boasted same goes for the Ultrasone LTD ED8 wasn't impressed with it either due to the price/sound ratio it offered. It's either the DX700/1000 or the TH900 and I can't decide yet because no one else has chimed in what they are like with electro based genre's.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 23
Some fast DnB, dub, trance, electro and hardcore. Hard to name what songs it was because it was a long time ago. Amp was the Fostex HP1 or something, silver portable rig bit smaller then an ipad, so it elimnated the sound of the Denons being more bloated. Source was mine Rockboxed Gigabeat FLAC files

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 23
The V-Moda M80 and P70 match well with genres music.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 23
Without sounding like a fanboi....Sig Pro FTW

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #14 of 23
Actually I think it retails for $1299 unless you want issues then you can grab it for $900.  So you have never heard the Sig Pro? If you have the scratch then definately why not grab the TH-900?  The DX-1000 is nice if not a tad to funky in some situations, you either love or hate the sound signature.  As your aware, in this hobby "price/performance ratio" dont always meet. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:
Actually I think it retails for $1299 unless you want issues then you can grab it for $900.  So you have never heard the Sig Pro? If you have the scratch then definately why not grab the TH-900?  The DX-1000 is nice if not a tad to funky in some situations, you either love or hate the sound signature.  As your aware, in this hobby "price/performance ratio" dont always meet. 

I haven't purchased the TH-900's yet because:

1. They are hard to find to buy (ebay has them over $2.3k and I'm not exactly reluctantly of dropping that much money over ebay to a seller who can disappear almost instantly, should I run into any troubles/defect's).

2. There aren't much who own the TH900 as compared to other more mainstream high-end can's, which is why I made this thread for other's to chime in on opinions and/or recommendations,

Again the DX1000 is another hard one to find, especially one to locate and listen to where I'am. Same applies to the TH900.

It is true that price/performance ratio don't always meet, but the Ultrasone's (and Final Audio) as stated by MF at one stage, are more of a collectors item, those that seek unique one of kind appealing aesthetics and material used rather then pure focus on sound, these are more suited towards a different sector of audiophile's who want more 'bling' then sound, if you get where I'm coming from.

The Ultrasone LTD 8 for a retail of what? $1800 or something didn't sound good at all to me, although they do look nice, I've heard less then $500 headphones that sound heaps better. I've also heard and pre-owned the Pro 900, 780 and 580's and they all sounded crap, dark, muffled and bloated with muddy bass. Worse then the bright end's of Beyer's DT770/990 range, but at least the sound from them is more spacious and controlled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back