Best closed design headphone - use at home, for Jazz and comfortable
Oct 29, 2008 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
My family just get an additional memeber, and she is crying all the time.
Well, I need a closed design headphone used at home, which must be comfortable and sounds good for Jazz. Any suggestion? I am willing to pay upto $1000 for used unit.
R10 will be nice, and the price of R10 rise up to sky....
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 10
used ultrasone edition 9s I here are great. I just saw someone on the FS forum list a pair in the $1000 price range.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 10
The edition 9 would be great for this plus they also have nice isolation.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 10
You actually have a lot of options. I presume that you want closed phones for the isolation. The bargain of the bunch is actually the AKG 271s (the old model is basically the same as the new model). You'd want the velour ear pads (a great improvement). When baby wrecks the cord, you can cheerfully order up another one (it detaches). You'd want to amp these phones--they'd probably work nicely in your home stereo kit running out of your integrated amp or preamp. A nice amplifier for them is the Decware Zen Head (big, but really musical). Or if you want a DAC too, run with a Pico.
AKG 271 + Decware Zen Head = approx $450.
AKG 271 + Pico with Dac = $650.
Now going used, you'll get better bargains. I think that someone is advertising a Decware Tube amp for headphones. Add the AKG 271 or Beyerdynamic DT770 (big sale at Amazon) and you'd have a nice set up.

Eventually, an AKG 701 with the Deware tube amp would be stellar (500 hours break in the the 701--really--I'm breaking mine in).

As a jazz head, I like the 701's, but the verdict isn't out yet. I did buy a used pair of AKG K340's and I did see a modded pair on sale here (and I wish that I had bought them--I'm buying a stock model) for $350. I think that they are closed cans and are supposed to be magiical. Now get a Decware amp and you'd be in bliss. (I like Decware stuff--great customer service and really fine gear).

BTW, I am big into jazz (my favourites are John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Ornette Coleman, Pharoh Sanders, Courtney Pine, Cecil McBee, Herbie Hancock, John McGlaughlin, Jeff Beck, Jan Hammer, Jean-Luc Ponty, Frank Zappa, and many, many others). Oddly enough, I write and have preformed what I call "post-modern caberet" music. I'm really an old folkie, but I have written some classical and some jazz.

I have great speakers (Quad active 12L) and first and formost believe that a good home stereo is most important (headphones are for serious listening, an escape, work in my case--I need to listen critically for lectures and criticism). My favourite speakers are Harbeth PL--3s. I'm a big British monitor fan. The Quad 12L's come close if not right on the money.

Headphones are interesting beasts.
The AKG 271s's are polite, but really fine (accurate, some warmth, honest bass if a bit lean--velour pads help) with a great midrange. They like to be amped.
The Beyerdynamic DT770 consumer model (250 Ohm so amp 'em) gets rave reviews and are seen as better than the pro models. I just ordered a pair. I hear that they are very comfortable.
The AKG K340's (some are always availalbe here at Headfi or Ebay) are closed, dynamic/electrostatic, modifiable in a big way, and are supposed to be very good. I have a pair on the way and I'm really excited about getting them.

Open phones leak sound, but I doubt that this would disturb baby. But she or he will be heard (which may be good--so buy the AKG 501 or 701 or 601--do your homework--for when you are monitoring the kid and a closed pair for when you are blocking out sound).

I've heard that the Denon AH-5000 are killer (and not cheap). I know they are closed, but I don't know how well they isolate. Anyway, they mate well with the Decware Zen Head. They'd probably be killer with the tube amp by Decware for phones.

You've go a lot of options. I might be tempted by the Denon AH 5000 and a tube Decware headphone amp. And I'd try to get them used.

An AKG K340 with suitable amplification might be cool.

You have oodles of choices. Lucky you. Of course, if I had 1K to spend, I'd probalby buy an G&L electric quitar (used, of course). But I have oodles of headphones and amps.

Cheers!

P.S. Good luck with the crying baby. Both my boys were colicky and cried a lot. Listening to Frank Zappa helped, but what really turned the trick was that my wife (who was breast feeding--I tried to get her to make ice cream out of her breast milk, but she didn't like that idea--pity) stopped eating and drinking dairy. She switched to soy milk, gave up reluctantly cheese and pizza, and the kids stopped being colicky. Amazing. I actually like soy chocolate milk now and rice dream ice cream.

Cheers!

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard that the Denon AH-5000 are killer (and not cheap). I know they are closed, but I don't know how well they isolate. Anyway, they mate well with the Decware Zen Head. They'd probably be killer with the tube amp by Decware for phones.

If the d5000 isolates like the d7000 then they are pretty weak in this department.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Aprox 3/4 of my listening is Jazz.........for open I have learned to prefer RS-1/flats, with tube amp............BUT, for closed have turned onto Terminators (Headphile) and plug the open hole next to yoke pivot on left ear housing. edit: found I prefer to reduce or semi-close that hole, otherwise it reduces bass to a shade or two less than v.3 Darths with hole fully plugged. I consider them the closed alternative to RS-1. You'll be very happy. Wonderfully balanced in that config. (using Corda HA2 MkII [or Prehead mkII in another location] with them). Just for convenience/fun also have been plugging them into iMod/Xin LE AD8616/8656 and it also works very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back