Best Closed Can, Wide Sound stage, Good bass response Headphones? UNDER 250
Jan 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

ColinC

New Head-Fier
     I am currently running a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M 50's. They sound very good, but their sound stage is pretty much non existent, and I find the bass to lack quite a bit. I listen to a lot of atmospheric, chill step, mellow indie, dubstep, and trance music with a little bit of pop / rap thrown in every once in a while, but not much. Since I listen to mostly mellow music, I love laying in bed with the lights off, or just relaxing in a chair with my eyes closed, and enjoying all that music has to offer. The M50's are great, but I'm looking for a pair of cans that really widens the sound stage so I can literally 'get lost' in my music and have it feel like the music is surrounding me. Also a bit of added bass would be nice, as the M50's seem to lack that.

Another important thing though, they NEED to be closed can. Because i'll be using them on the go occasionally and they can't be leaking so much that other's feel like they're plugged in... That goes the same with isolation. Preferably headphones that block out an acceptable amount of outside noise. Thanks everybody for your recommendations. Remember Under $250! 
o2smile.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 72
For use at home, look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 or DT990.. The Pro versions are completely closed while the normal versions are semi closed. I wouldn't bring either of them out of home for on-the-go use though.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 72
Quote:
     I am currently running a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M 50's. They sound very good, but their sound stage is pretty much non existent, and I find the bass to lack quite a bit. I listen to a lot of atmospheric, chill step, mellow indie, dubstep, and trance music with a little bit of pop / rap thrown in every once in a while, but not much. Since I listen to mostly mellow music, I love laying in bed with the lights off, or just relaxing in a chair with my eyes closed, and enjoying all that music has to offer. The M50's are great, but I'm looking for a pair of cans that really widens the sound stage so I can literally 'get lost' in my music and have it feel like the music is surrounding me. Also a bit of added bass would be nice, as the M50's seem to lack that.

Another important thing though, they NEED to be closed can. Because i'll be using them on the go occasionally and they can't be leaking so much that other's feel like they're plugged in... That goes the same with isolation. Preferably headphones that block out an acceptable amount of outside noise. Thanks everybody for your recommendations. Remember Under $250! 
o2smile.gif

Heya,

Used Mr Speaker Mad Dog (and then start saving up for some SR007 Stax Pads to put on them)
AudioTechnica A900X
Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K167
Denon D2000 (find it used/sale if possible; it's discontinued)
Denon D600 (find a sale/used)
Logitech UE 6000

Very best,

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 72
Quote:
For use at home, look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 or DT990.. The Pro versions are completely closed while the normal versions are semi closed. I wouldn't bring either of them out of home for on-the-go use though.

Actually, all DT 770s are closed and all DT 990s are fully open. The DT 770 would be a good choice because it has a pretty wide soundstage for a closed can and has pretty good bass too and can be found for $200 - $250.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 72
Thanks everybody for the recommendations, it seems as though the DT series from beyer are being recommended to me left right and center lately. I have heard they have very good lows / bass response but their mids and highs are a bit lacking. Could anybody attest to this? 
Quote:

Heya,

Used Mr Speaker Mad Dog (and then start saving up for some SR007 Stax Pads to put on them)
AudioTechnica A900X
Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K167
Denon D2000 (find it used/sale if possible; it's discontinued)
Denon D600 (find a sale/used)
Logitech UE 6000

Very best,

MalVeauX, thanks for all these, is there any reason why I should choose the 80Ohm resistance of the 32Ohm or 250Ohm?

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 72
Quote:
Thanks everybody for the recommendations, it seems as though the DT series from beyer are being recommended to me left right and center lately. I have heard they have very good lows / bass response but their mids and highs are a bit lacking. Could anybody attest to this? 

I think you're partially right. The mids are a bit lacking in the 770 and 990 but the highs definitely are not.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 72
Quote:

I think you're partially right. The mids are a bit lacking in the 770 and 990 but the highs definitely are not.

My bad, I didn't mean to add the highs in there! Mids only 
happy_face1.gif
. Now, If I were to purchase these, i would be using them with my onboard sound card on my laptop, and my iPhone for portable use. Should I consider a little Fiio E6 to aid me in driving power to these things? I heard the bass is a bit muddy and mids recessed without the use of an amp. I didn't think 80Ohms would be a big deal to power for an iPhone or laptop. Then again I'm just learning! 

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 72
Quote:
My bad, I didn't mean to add the highs in there! Mids only 
happy_face1.gif
. Now, If I were to purchase these, i would be using them with my onboard sound card on my laptop, and my iPhone for portable use. Should I consider a little Fiio E6 to aid me in driving power to these things? I heard the bass is a bit muddy and mids recessed without the use of an amp. I didn't think 80Ohms would be a big deal to power for an iPhone or laptop. Then again I'm just learning! 

Typically yes an 80 ohm headphone would be sensitive enough to use without an amp (just barely) but the 770/880/990 are known to not perform quite to their full potential unless amped. An E6 would be a decent place to start.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

Typically yes an 80 ohm headphone would be sensitive enough to use without an amp (just barely) but the 770/880/990 are known to not perform quite to their full potential unless amped. An E6 would be a decent place to start.

I`m currently taking a look at the frequency response of the DT770`s compared to my ATH-M50's and it seems as though the 770's provide a little extra bass down low, and reproduce highs better as well. According to the frequency chart, the mids aren't much behind the M50's, so I'm wondering if may not even notice a difference in the so called 'recessed' mids when going from my M50's to the 770's. Overall, I'm liking the Beyer's more. Since the M50's have almost nothing of a sound stage, I feel as though the mildly recessed mids are worth the great soundstage the 770's have.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 72
Quote:
I`m currently taking a look at the frequency response of the DT770`s compared to my ATH-M50's and it seems as though the 770's provide a little extra bass down low, and reproduce highs better as well. According to the frequency chart, the mids aren't much behind the M50's, so I'm wondering if may not even notice a difference in the so called 'recessed' mids when going from my M50's to the 770's. Overall, I'm liking the Beyer's more. Since the M50's have almost nothing of a sound stage, I feel as though the mildly recessed mids are worth the great soundstage the 770's have.

I would agree with you there. The M50 is a V-shaped headphone as well so they will both have slightly recessed mids with the 770s being slightly more recessed than the M50. But I agree, if you are looking for a wide soundstage you'll most likely end up preferring the 770 to the M50. The 770 is also a superior headphone in other ways. I'm yet to try to the M50 so this is just based on all of the reviews I've read but I would be very surprised if the M50 could resolve as well as the 770. I would also be surprised if the tonality of the M50 was as accurate and natural sounding as the 770. Overall I think the general consensus is that the 770 is a step up from the M50 in almost every way aside from maybe the mids.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

I would agree with you there. The M50 is a V-shaped headphone as well so they will both have slightly recessed mids with the 770s being slightly more recessed than the M50. But I agree, if you are looking for a wide soundstage you'll most likely end up preferring the 770 to the M50. The 770 is also a superior headphone in other ways. I'm yet to try to the M50 so this is just based on all of the reviews I've read but I would be very surprised if the M50 could resolve as well as the 770. I would also be surprised if the tonality of the M50 was as accurate and natural sounding as the 770. Overall I think the general consensus is that the 770 is a step up from the M50 in almost every way aside from maybe the mids.

A safe conclusion, I'd agree. Thanks for your input man, it's appreciated. Although the 770's are just one consideration! Now it's time to see what other headphones in the same price range compare to the 770's but yet keeping the great soundstage and closed can design. So many possibilities, this is so difficult! On the other hand, I guess that's why I'm here 
beyersmile.png

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 72
Make sure you check out the following, which I think are definitely better choices that the M50:

Ultrasone Pro 750
and
Ultrasone HFI-780 - More balanced and refined, but still lots of bass compared to,
Ultrasone HFI-580 - More bass, less refined. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

The Dt770s 80 will have plenty of bass. Ive been listening to some of the same stuff you said you liked with mine and its really great. Put an amp on them, don't have to spend a ton, and they're even better. I just got an amp for mine and it cleaned everything up, made the sound fuller, brought out the highs even more and tightened up the bass and even opened up the soundstange. They're pretty good unamped too but the bass is a bit bloated at times and they can get a little muddy. I used mine for years without an amp though and I was totally satisfied. An amp on them really does make a world of difference though. They're definitely my gotos for anything rap and electronic.

If you don't mind used even you should'nt have a problem scoring a pair out of the FS section for less them 150 I bet. That would save some money for a pretty nice amp. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #15 of 72
Quote:
Make sure you check out the following, which I think are definitely better choices that the M50:

Ultrasone Pro 750
and
Ultrasone HFI-780 - More balanced and refined, but still lots of bass compared to,
Ultrasone HFI-580 - More bass, less refined. 

Thanks for the recommendations, I was already looking at the Pro 750's but how would the 780 compare to them? I would prefer more refined headphones, so the 580's may be out of question if everything sounds a bit bland.

EDIT: When looking at frequency response, it seems as though the M50's deliver more all around. Especially in the deep lows and highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back