Best closed bass cans, under $350
Aug 27, 2010 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Relleum

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I'm on the market for a new pair of headphones.  Here are the most important factors:

1. Closed and comfortable.  Seriously, I want them to be really comfortable.
2. Heavy, punchy bass.  I really want to be impressed this time.
3. Seksi looks.  These are for work, so they can't be weird looking beasts like my A900s, or giant michelin tires like the XB700s.

I currently own ATH-A900s, which I love because of their comfort and phenomenal sound.  However, they are really goofy looking, and lack bass.  I also own a pair of WS70s.  These are much better looking than the A900s, and the bass is pretty good too.  Unfortunately, they are so uncomfortable it's not even funny.  They are like head clamps that can't be worn for even 5 minutes.  I then spent time overbending them so that they don't squeeze my head, but now the bar bothers the top of my head.  Plus, it feels like the cups are a bit to small, as they partially rest on you ears (eventually leading to discomfort).

I have the Denon AH-D1100s on order now, but because they are so new, I'm having second thoughts.  It seems like I really know what I'm looking for... so buying unproven, unreviewed cans seems like a pretty dumb move.

So there you have it.  I *really* don't want to spend more than $350, but I'll entertain ideas slightly higher.  IEMs may also be a possibility, but could they ever compete with full size headphones for clean, heavy bass?  And could they ever be as comfortable as my A900s? Questions questions...

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 16
After reading the factors you listed, the D2000 came to mind. Or, the Denon headphone series in general.

Although, you mentioned you have the D1100 on order. If you decide to stick with those, you may not want the D2000.

I'm not entirely sure though. Nobody knows how those D1100 sound yet. Maybe they will be your perfect headphones.

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 16
Personal preference, but I'd probably never buy the 780s again after getting the 900s. The 900s just sound much more refined and smooth, and the bass is much more impressive than the HFIs. The 780s might be better than the 900s for rock genres, but if I wanted a rock phone I'd probably go for another vintage AKG or maybe a Grado.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Personal preference, but I'd probably never buy the 780s again after getting the 900s. The 900s just sound much more refined and smooth, and the bass is much more impressive than the HFIs. The 780s might be better than the 900s for rock genres, but if I wanted a rock phone I'd probably go for another vintage AKG or maybe a Grado.

I really like the looks of the 900s, and I've heard really good things about the bass of Ultrasone headphones in general.  But, just how comfortable are the 900s?  And are they closed?  As mentioned before, they are for work, so there can't be a large amount of leakage.

Edit: just read that they are closed, so that is a non-issue.  So really it comes down to how comfortable they are, and how impressive the bass really is.

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 16
I don't know how effective this chart can be at evaluating the level of bass a headphone is capable of, but let's put it up for discussion:

Based on the comparison, clou91 seems to be on point by stating that the 900s are more impressive than the 780s.  I threw on the sennheiser IE8s, just because I am gravitating towards the idea that I can have IEMs that cover my work requirement, and maybe even double as my choice for other major parts of my life (i.e. gym/airline/running scenarios). According to the chart, they have the bass that I'm looking for.

But, all I really have for comparison is my stock iPhone buds, and the comfort and bass response make me weary of any IEMs.

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm not going to lie but the AKG K 701 is amongest the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried...and I'm not going say they aren't because probably are the most comfotable headphones in the world. For bass, I wouldn't recommend...For wide 3D sound stage, detail, clairty, and everything else I quite frankly wouldn't have any other choice!

beyersmile.png

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 16
There is no leakage and they block out a surprising amount of noise as well. The Pro900's might be uncomfortable initially but I find my pair to be very comfortable so it is just a matter of wearing them in. I'd also recommend doing the Kees mod: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/396267/how-bright-is-an-ultrasone-pro-900/60#post_5248583

Quote:
I really like the looks of the 900s, and I've heard really good things about the bass of Ultrasone headphones in general.  But, just how comfortable are the 900s?  And are they closed?  As mentioned before, they are for work, so there can't be a large amount of leakage.

Edit: just read that they are closed, so that is a non-issue.  So really it comes down to how comfortable they are, and how impressive the bass really is.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
I'm not going to lie but the AKG K 701 is amongest the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried...and I'm not going say they aren't because probably are the most comfotable headphones in the world.

Until you try on the AD700...
wink.gif

The Ultrasone Pro 900 likes like a good bet. Do you still have your D1100 on order Relleum?

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 16

Until you try on the AD700...
wink.gif

The Ultrasone Pro 900 likes like a good bet. Do you still have your D1100 on order Relleum?

Yep, as of right now they are still on order. The Ultrasone 900s are starting to sway me, although I don't like hearing about how uncomfortable they are. But who is to say that the 1100s will be more comfortable?

Edit: I just checked, and the 1100s already shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back