Best Closed-Backs Money Can Buy
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Phronesis

Headphoneus Supremus
What are the best closed-back headphones you've heard, regardless of cost?

I currently have four closed-backs, none of which are great, though the M40X is good for an inexpensive headphone.

I'm not a big fan of the B&W sound, not even the P9.

I've tried the Nighthawk and Nightowl, and didn't like either.

Currently auditioning the Meze 99 Classics, which is quite good for the money.

LCD-XC seems to have somewhat mixed reviews.

Initial reviews for the CA Cascade are good.

ADDENDUM:

I'll try to keep up with the posts in this thread and maintain a compiled list in this first post.

AKG: K872
Audeze: LCD-XC
Audio Technica: M70X
Beyerdynamic: DT 770, DT 1770, T5P Mk2
Campfire: Cascade
Denon: AH-D7200
Focal: Elegia
Fostex: TH900, TH-X00
Meze: 99 Classics
MrSpeakers: Aeon Flow Closed, Alpha Prime, Ether Flow C
Sennheiser: HD820
Sony: MDR-R10 (Bass Light and Bass Heavy), MDR-Z1R, MDR-Z7, MDR-Z7 m2
ZMF: Atticus, Auteur, Eikon

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 48
hd820 although very few have heard it, I have a full mod th900 but those are a different animal.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 48
I would also say the TH900 and many of the Fostex line would be my go to for closed backs, very very pleasant and substantial bass. They are what I would call semi open but the ZMF Eikon / Auteur is pretty solid and actually has very nice isolation for what appears to be a semi-open design.

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 48
I’m really enjoying the Z1R. I use it at work and it isolates extremely well, I can listen for 6+ hours without any fatigue and it plays every genre I like without making the modern pop stuff I like to throw in one and a while sound like crap.

I would love to hear the r10.....

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 48
My fav is Audio Technica ath m70x. But the plastic peace that join the head bridge will break in a year time. I have 2 broken in 2 years.
Now my third m70x. Adding resin glue in the plastic peace before it break. Hope I can use it for 3 yrs

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 48
"What is the best..." with no actual criteria being given = pointless thread.
Best for you =/= best for someone else, especially regarding SQ, which is completely personal.

Please describe what kind of signature you prefer, and other expectations (build, design, ergonomy), or be prepared for very expensive disappointments. :wink:

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 48
My fav is Audio Technica ath m70x. But the plastic peace that join the head bridge will break in a year time. I have 2 broken in 2 years.
Now my third m70x. Adding resin glue in the plastic peace before it break. Hope I can use it for 3 yrs

I have it. Clarity is good, but do you not find it lacking in bass?

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 48
I would also say the TH900 and many of the Fostex line would be my go to for closed backs, very very pleasant and substantial bass. They are what I would call semi open but the ZMF Eikon / Auteur is pretty solid and actually has very nice isolation for what appears to be a semi-open design.
Does it seem like the Auteur driver performance is like the other Fostex? Auteur I'm guessing is utiling drivers made by Fostex?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 48
20180328_152649.jpg
I have it. Clarity is good, but do you not find it lacking in bass?
The bass is a bit on the light side, for most amplifiers. It is very clear and accurate, best mid range to my friend who own recording studio.
But with a properly designed amp, the bass is v powerful.
Be careful it broke the join between the ear speaker housing to the bridge quite easily. I broke 2 in the last 2 years and now on my third. So I add epoxy glue to the inside of the plastic join to reinforce

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 48
The MrSpeakers Aeon Open believe it or not is my favorite closed headphone. Unless you've heard it and judged just how "open" it is you won't understand. It is really a closed headphone with excellent punch, upfront mids for supper vocals, and decent extension when using the two-notch filters. Plus, how many other headphones of this caliber do you know of that can easily tune the sound signature? Build quality is excellent. Price: only $700 new.

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #15 of 48
Does it seem like the Auteur driver performance is like the other Fostex? Auteur I'm guessing is utiling drivers made by Fostex?
Honestly I'm not entirely sure. Auteur most definitely doesn't sound like a Fostex can and thu tonality is way different. I'm going out on a limb and saying I think it is a Fostex driver though. it's just hard to be sure since sound signiture is so different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back