1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Best Closed Backs at various price levels

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by joesuburb, Jul 29, 2019.
Next

Last
  1. joesuburb
    I can’t use open back headphones because I use them in public places mostly.

I spent way too much money on Stellias and want a pair of headphones at a cheaper price point for travel. Any suggestions? Ideally under $1000 and that sound great.

Doesn’t seem to be a lot of info on the best closed backs.

Prefer the are efficient enough to drive with a dragonfly cobalt

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Mightygrey
    I travel with the Beyerdynamic DT1770. It can be driven to full-volume with a Dragonfly, but if you're looking for something more efficient, perhaps the Campfire Cascade or Meze 99 Classics?

Kukuk likes this.
  3. joesuburb
    Rtings actually rates the dt1770s higher than the Stellias for whatever that is worth. I’ve really been thinking of getting a set.

4. pstickne
    Well, what sort of “signature” do you enjoy? Bass U/V? Neutral reference? What kind of drivers (probably standard dynamic)? What sort of music do you listen to? How do your ears cope with treble?

There is an almost infinite selection - so input needed if anyone is going to provide useful targeted feedback.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  5. joesuburb
    I love my Stellias. Rather new to head-fi since my office space changed to an open plan.

Basically, I love the perfect vocals of the Stellia but also enjoy a bit of bass bumb.

pstickne likes this.
  6. joesuburb
    I was thinking either Aeon closed or dt1770s but couldn’t decide. I was leaning towards the Aeons.

pstickne likes this.
  7. Mightygrey
    They're VERY different cans - the Aeons are lean, neutral, and bass-shy. The 1770's rumble, and have pretty sparkly highs. I'd call them a 'tie' with regards to comfort, the 1770's probably isolate a little better.

pstickne likes this.
  8. joesuburb
    I want the Stellias in a form factor that is cheap enough that if they are damaged I won’t freak out. LOL

9. Mightygrey
    I assume you know about the Focal Elegias!

10. arielext
    I didn't like the comfort aspect of the dt1770, though other beyers were perfect (dt770, t5p).
    The Dt770 is cheap enough not to freak out.
    I'm a Stellia owner and have always liked the older beyerdynamics as well.

11. Kukuk
    I really love the Beyerdynamic closed-backs. The DT770 Pro 80, the DT1770, and the T5P all represent great value at different price points. I might recommend a used T5P first gen over the DT1770 at your price point, though. It's insanely easy to drive, offers a bit better isolation, plus you can find it cheaper than a new DT1770.

12. gringod
    What about the Beyer DT 250s

13. DenverW
    While I think both headphones are great, I would take rtings with a grain of salt. There is useful info there, but the overall ‘number’ that headphones get is based on a lot of different things, where many here look first at sound quality. I’d rank the Stellia over the 1770.

14. woodcans
    I find, for the price, the Neumann is hard to beat.

15. Audio Aficionado
    My first recommendation would be the B&W P9 Signature, don't know how it compares to the Stellias, but i'd give it 5 stars for portability and not just sound quality.
    I used to own a T5P and that would be my second recommendation. T5P is less portable than the P9 Signature but very comfortable to wear.
    Both headphones have different sound signatures, i'd rate the P9 Signature above the T5P in overall sound quality, but the T5P is a more neutral/analytical headphone. It does have deep bass but can't hit as hard as the P9 Signature. P9 Signature has crisp clear high frequencies whereas I found the T5P to be sibilant.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
Next

Last