Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone?
Nov 23, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #47 of 82
  If SONY still have R10... it would be so good.

Even better, R10 would be the best closed headphones. I asked Sony if they would consider restarting the production of R10 but they are not interested, the Sony executives are pygmies with no vision. they are at the moment chasing the Beats nightmare headphones vision. Sony is retooling its trade mark natural sound and following the Beats by making bass colored headphones with weak treble.

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #48 of 82
  TH900 do not have balanced frequencies, they are only for limited use, for bass heavy music and for music where vocals are not that important. The middle frequencies and vocals play from few steps behind bass. TH900's strength, its bass, is at the same time its weakness. Sometimes it floods the middle frequencies and pushes them into background. Th900 are not for music genres where human voice is supposed to be in the front of the stage and fully shine. TH900's quirky treble also does not help. Headphones that do not have balanced frequency bands, bass - mids - treble, cannot be ranked as the best. The best for bass centered music - yes, but not the best for all music types. Right now the title belongs to Audio Technica W3000ANV, with consideration to Audez'e LCD-XC.

The TH900 also sounds incredibly closed in and has almost no sound stage at all.  So I agree, it has really limited use.  

I wish I listened to the LCD-XC when I had a chance.  Maybe next year.  I haven't heard it but the Audio Technica ATH-A2000X is another one that's probably worth trying.  I guess it's their current closed flagship?  I like my A900X quite a bit, it doesn't sound nearly as confined as the TH900.

I really need to audition an R10.  Preferably the bass light one.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #49 of 82
  Even better, R10 would be the best closed headphones. I asked Sony if they would consider restarting the production of R10 but they are not interested, the Sony executives are pygmies with no vision. they are at the moment chasing the Beats nightmare headphones vision. Sony is retooling its trade mark natural sound and following the Beats by making bass colored headphones with weak treble.

maybe a "z10" next year will keep us happy ? :)

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #51 of 82
The Audeze LCD-XC are phenomenal closed back headphones, the best I have ever heard. They are much better than the TH900 IMO. The bass in the Audeze is just so amazing.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #56 of 82
Wh
Which aftermarket pads?
Thanks.

There are a number of options out there... Currently I'm using the Brainwavez HM5 memory foam pleather pads... $19.50 on Amazon.

Previously, I used Beyerdynamic foam/gel real leather pads, which run about $89, although I managed to find my set for $59. Both significantly outperform the stock pads in terms of comfort of sound in my opinion. Personally, I strongly prefer the cheaper Brainwavez to the pricier Beyerdynamic pads. 

There are other options too... JMoney,  Mr. Speakers Alpha and Dog pads, and I even read something about Audeze pads being used, although I'm not sure how that would work, as I thought they were clamp-on pads, not stretchy slip-on pads...

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #59 of 82
Check out this thread/review I did

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771289/the-closed-wars-mrspeakers-ether-c-vs-audeze-lcd-xc-vs-fostex-th900-vs-mrspeakers-alpha-prime-vs-fostex-th-x00-comparison

But I ended up going custom IEM instead and much happier than closed back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back