Best closed back non amped circumaural headphones
Nov 17, 2009 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Damien269

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I'm new to Head-Fi and I am kind of new to the full size headphones as well.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones. I listen to music through my headphones about 4 hours a day, while studying mainly in a library. Therefore, I need some closed back headphones with good isolation. Mainly listening to Trance, Electro, House, but also Hip Hop and high bass music, I would want my headphones to give me good bass.
Now the main problem in finding the right headphones is to find the ones that cover all my needs but don't need any amplifier.
My budget is 250$USD
If I can find some really good headphones with a portable small amp for that price than that could be an option. I am open to any suggestions!!!!!

Here's what I have been looking at:
- AKG K271 or K272HD (not enough bass apparently)
- Sennheiser HD280 pro
- Denon AH-D2000 (a little out of my price range)

PLZ feel free to suggest whatever goes through your mind!

Thank You All

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 40
Welcome to Head-fi! Sorry about your wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

M50 (160), SRH440 (100)/840 (200), And D1001S(100) for small ears
wink_face.gif

You can get these at Headroom, along with a Total Airhead, a portable amp at $100. Great with iPods.

After about $200, sealed headphones are hard to find. Usually open. Ultrasone makes the DJ1, so look into that.

And WHY do you need to isolate in a library? [besides sound leakage]. GRADO

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien269 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone!

I'm new to Head-Fi and I am kind of new to the full size headphones as well.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones. I listen to music through my headphones about 4 hours a day, while studying mainly in a library. Therefore, I need some closed back headphones with good isolation. Mainly listening to Trance, Electro, House, but also Hip Hop and high bass music, I would want my headphones to give me good bass.
Now the main problem in finding the right headphones is to find the ones that cover all my needs but don't need any amplifier.
My budget is 250$USD
If I can find some really good headphones with a portable small amp for that price than that could be an option. I am open to any suggestions!!!!!

Here's what I have been looking at:
- AKG K271 or K272HD (not enough bass apparently)
- Sennheiser HD280 pro
- Denon AH-D2000 (a little out of my price range)

PLZ feel free to suggest whatever goes through your mind!

Thank You All

I just bought some Denon D2000's through Amazon today for only $220 shipped. I think that fits in your budget?

If you use the free amazon shipping it's like $10bux cheaper, but they take FOREVER to even ship out your stuff if you do in the first place.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tourman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought some Denon D2000's through Amazon today for only $220 shipped. I think that fits in your budget?

If you use the free amazon shipping it's like $10bux cheaper, but they take FOREVER to even ship out your stuff if you do in the first place.

With mods, the D1001(S) can be *almost* as good as the D2000. Besides, with the D2000, you'll need an amp, which is out of his price range.

Have you gotten J$ pads?

The GMP 8.35 are SOLID. Try to break them
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 40
Trance, Electro, House, but also Hip Hop it's like you said sennheiser hd 25 1 mkII. Unbelievable isolation, good comfort, balanced, punchy bass, ultra light !

Ultrasones are good option too but isolation is not on pair with hd 25 1 mkII

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 40
Thx a lot for all those suggestions.

I liked the Ultrasone hfi 780 as well as the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I also really liked the Shure srh840. I thought those were more expensive!

I believe the Sennheiser hd 25 1 mkII are on ear headphones. I would need around ear (circumaural) ones.

What do you guys think about the Beats by Dr.Dre? I think they are a little expensive but is the quality and performance to price ratio good? Those really cover all my needs.
And what do you think of the Sennheiser HD280 pro and the AKG K272hd or K271?

BTW! PLZ TELL ME WHENEVER SOME HEADPHONES WOULD NEED AN AMP!

Thx a lot! Keep the suggestions coming!

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 40
In a $250 budget, Shure SRH840 are hands down, no contest, the best closed headphones you can get that actually isolate well, D2000 are very good but their isolation is weak.

And DT880 are semi-open, they leak a lot, might as well be fully open. They also need to be amped unless you get the 32 ohm version.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 40
Regarding the Beats by Dre, I think it's pretty lame that you need batteries to run them. Forget any of the extra noise cancelling/bass boosting features, I think they should at least work as drivers without batteries. FWIR, this is not the case.

I myself have been recently very curious about getting the HD 25-1 IIs, despite their higher end price. (I'm thinking of returning my Klipsch S4s, to finance them, and can't decide whether it's a good idea.) I've read some very good things about them. You could probably invest in a pair and spend some extra money toward better cables (which I've heard can increase soundstage/clarity) for the $300 the beats cost. (I'm not sure about what cables go for, but I'm assuming ~$75-100 for basic ones.)

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 40
Ya but thing is the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II are not around ear, so not an option for me.

The Beats only need batteries if you use the noise cancelling thing.

For now I think the best option would be Shure SRH840

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back