Best closed back non amped circumaural headphones
Nov 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien269 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the 840 sounded good non amped!?!? Can anyone else tell me what they think?

What are the main differences between the 440 and 840? And would the 750DJ be better non amped?

440 was the best out of Fuze without an amp.
Even with the E5, the 840 is sluggish.

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #33 of 40
The ATH m50 can be purchased with two different cables. ONe is longer and straight, and one is shorter and coiled, which is better for portable use. They don't have any different sonic qualities as far as I know.
The 440 sounds great out of my ipod...but the 840, like a Pro 750, sounds much better with at least a portable amp.

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #34 of 40
Oh ok i thought the difference was more than just convenience.

I'm not sure if that is what you meant by Pro 750 but what do you think of the Shure srh750DJ? I heard the DJ headphones normally need less power to be driven therefore wouldn't need an amp. Is that true? Would the 750DJ be good without an amp?

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #35 of 40
http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-sh..._id2=2&s_id=70

is this amp good and decent for a Beyer dt880? it coast about 80 bucks, but i don't wanna spend too much

also, what cable wiring would i need so i connect the amp to my speaker or behind my computer?

is this amp good and decent for a Beyer dt880? it coast about 80 bucks, but i don't wanna spend too much

also, what cable wiring would i need so i connect the amp to my speaker or behind my computer?

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #36 of 40
I got the Shure SRH750DJ on Tuesday and it doesn't really do a good job of blocking out sound. Also, the headband doesn't curve very much so I have both sides at the longest position and I am 5'7" with a proportional head. Also, other more experienced audiophiles disagree with me but I am not impressed with the bass. I am looking at getting the Senn HD25 or ATH M50 and returning the SRH750DJ. BTW, I am not using an amp.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #38 of 40
So.. which would be the perfect choice for an iPhone and a MacBook Pro without amp? Is it HD25-1 II or SRH750DJ? I'm mainly oriented to Shure, because has lower impedance and offer high output power.. and the build quality is excellent.

I also have a pairs of earphones made by Shure, model SE530PTH and I'm very happy with them.

I'm waiting for your reply with interest!

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #39 of 40
The HD 25 I II is a wonderful portable headphone that does not need an amp. Works great with an iPod. It is on-ear rather than around the ear, though. The Shure 840 sounds fine IMO without an amp but is that much better with one. Both headphones offer great isolation.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #40 of 40
I'd agree with the posters who said the SRH840 is dull/lifeless without an amp. When I auditioned them, my Mini3 amp made a noticeable difference for the better. I would have loved to try them with my LD MKII desktop tube amp though.

Unamped, I would recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50. Fun, lively, a transparent/neutral quality with elevated bass that's not boomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back