Best Closed-Back Headphones for Music, Gaming and TV shows in the $200 - $400 range
Jul 9, 2020 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ChronLofi

New Head-Fier
My Logitech G35 headset broke and I'm looking to replace it. I used it nearly everyday for gaming, music, TV shows, anime, movies and more.

I like the G35's surround sound but I think the Windows sonic/dolby atmos option should be good enough to use with any headphones. So they don't necessarily have to be 'gaming' headphones. Also I've read that a good soundstage makes it easier to pinpoint positional audio.

Anyway, I need the headphones to be closed-back because I want them to isolate as much noise as possible.

For gaming, I mainly play FPS games and Rocket League.

For music, I mainly listen to Lo-Fi, Chill music, and game OSTs like FF13.

Good bass is also rather important for me.

Lastly, I prefer headphones that come without faux leather as they tend to disintegrate over time.

The closest headphones I've found for my needs are the beyerdynamic MMX 300, but for some reason they're $500 on Amazon.ca. They also seem to suffer from poor build quality. I live in Canada btw.

What headphones would you recommend for me?

The DT 770 seems to be a decent pair, but I read that the Custom Studio is a better version of it. However, I cannot find any place in Canada that sells them.

Jul 9, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 29
Are you willing to buy used? You could get some really, really nice stuff in that price range if you go used, just just 'pretty good' if you buy new. I do realize that import duties in to Canada can be a pain.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the material of the pads, cause most good headphones in that price range will have replaceable pads.

All my current sets are open back except for the ATH-M50 (original) which I don't think are up to the task, given what you're looking for. I'm also more familiar with open back in general.

If you are willing to go used, Maybe Mr. Speakers / Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Closed? That would be about the top of your budget, but they're really nice and (so far as I can tell based on reviews at least) do everything you're looking for well.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 29
You can get the Hyper x orbit S for $329 which is a re-branded version of the Audeze mobius. It will lack the bluetooth function of the mobius but overall its a really nice set for mic quality as well as listening to music or watching something with. Has the really neat head tracking if you care for it as well. The original mr speakers aeons in closed have little bass presence and might come off as boring or lacking. That used with a mod mic might get you close or just under $400 however.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 29
Are you willing to buy used? You could get some really, really nice stuff in that price range if you go used, just just 'pretty good' if you buy new. I do realize that import duties in to Canada can be a pain.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the material of the pads, cause most good headphones in that price range will have replaceable pads.

All my current sets are open back except for the ATH-M50 (original) which I don't think are up to the task, given what you're looking for. I'm also more familiar with open back in general.

If you are willing to go used, Maybe Mr. Speakers / Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Closed? That would be about the top of your budget, but they're really nice and (so far as I can tell based on reviews at least) do everything you're looking for well.
No, I don't want used headphones. Hm, I read that the Aeon headphones lack bass or at least are too neutral. Because of that they're not very 'fun'.

You can get the Hyper x orbit S for $329 which is a re-branded version of the Audeze mobius. It will lack the bluetooth function of the mobius but overall its a really nice set for mic quality as well as listening to music or watching something with. Has the really neat head tracking if you care for it as well. The original mr speakers aeons in closed have little bass presence and might come off as boring or lacking. That used with a mod mic might get you close or just under $400 however.
The hyper x orbit headphones seem decent but are around $500 in Canada and seem to suffer from poor build quality.

The Nightowls aren't bad headphones.
Those appear to be out of stock on Amazon.ca. How much do they cost?

I really like my HyperX Cloud Alphas. Great for gaming, decent for music, and are built like a tank.

Thanks for the suggestion but they appear to be using faux leather for the earpads and these tend to disintegrate with time leaving black bits falling and sticking to my skin.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 29
The new Aeon “rt” Dan sells has a lot more low end than the originals. I find them pretty fun. Though not as good as some of the other closed back planars. Much better overall though and it’s no longer lean. Still expensive at $500 here. I’ve had the audeze mobius for over a year I think and they are really fine but definitely not worth the price they sell them for there In Canada.

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 29
The new Aeon “rt” Dan sells has a lot more low end than the originals. I find them pretty fun. Though not as good as some of the other closed back planars. Much better overall though and it’s no longer lean. Still expensive at $500 here. I’ve had the audeze mobius for over a year I think and they are really fine but definitely not worth the price they sell them for there In Canada.

The Aeons are $500 US which is about $677 in CAD and out of my budget.

I have no idea what pair of headphones to buy. The DT 770 is out of stock on Amazon.ca. Plus, they're quite old, though I don't know if headphone technology has evolved over the years like let's say TV technology. Has there been significant improvement in terms of sound quality or do new headphones just improve in some areas slightly? Seeing as how the DT 770s are always being recommended I'm guessing it's the latter?

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 29
Strongly recommend going used -- only way I can see getting something of real quality at your price point. You can always replace pads if that's the concern.

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 29
Would you consider going with a Philips Fidelio X2HR with a vmoda boom pro mic? It's open back but is a really great all arounder especially for gaming.
For strict closed back I also agree with DT 770 PROs. They are my favorite "mid tier" closed backs hands down.
I always hear from my "audiophile pals" that the HyperX Cloud Flights are as good as it gets when it comes to gaming headsets with integrated mics. Built like tanks and actually sound great in their own right.

Good luck in your search!

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 29
Would you consider going with a Philips Fidelio X2HR with a vmoda boom pro mic? It's open back but is a really great all arounder especially for gaming.
For strict closed back I also agree with DT 770 PROs. They are my favorite "mid tier" closed backs hands down.
I always hear from my "audiophile pals" that the HyperX Cloud Flights are as good as it gets when it comes to gaming headsets with integrated mics. Built like tanks and actually sound great in their own right.

Good luck in your search!

The problem is I live in a noisy environment and I want as much noise isolation as possible so closed-back headphones are all I can consider.

Honestly, I don't care much for integrated mics as they're usually low quality. I can always buy a dedicated one if I need to, but at this point my main goal is to get good sounding headphones.

Are there any other good closed-back headphones within my price range besides the DT 770?

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 29
Ws1100is? i had a pair for about a year and really liked them for my first headphones over 100$, i unfortunatley broke them from dropping them a number of times.

They look good but seem to suffer from poor build quality, specifically the connection between the headband and the speakers can break. Actually, this is what happened to my Logitech G35.

Jul 15, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 29
The DT770's are fantastic for noisy environments... I use my DT770 Pro 80s everyday... with my wife working from home and on conference calls allllll day... the DT770's really cut out that background noise so I can get work done..

The are old (my pair is like 7~yrs old... don't remember exactly) but they are nearly bomb proof. Also pretty comfortable, I can't wear most headphones for more than 1/2 hour before they start bothering me.. the DT770's I can wear quite a bit longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back