Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #91 of 9,368
Any of the HMV (EMI) recordings of the London Symphony Orchestra with Andre Previn from the 1970s are worth listening to. The Interpretations are top notch and the sound is glorious. One of the best recording Engineers of all time was Walter Clegg, husband of Elizabeth Schwartzkopf, who made many recordings for HMV - everyone a star.

Any recording by Weller on Decca is also good value.

Arthur Salvatore of High End Audio gives a comprehensive list of the audiophile classical recordings on his site. All vinyl of course but many of them have been transcribed to CD, Note these are the best recorded/sounding versions which of course does not mean they are the best interpretations. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #92 of 9,368
Previn's Schehrezade is my favorite. Hard to find now though.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #94 of 9,368
I have that one, and Beecham's. Previn's is the best. I have no idea why it isn't in print.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #96 of 9,368
It's pretty special though. There are a million average ones.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #97 of 9,368
By the way, the version of Schehrezade by Kees Bakels and the Malaysian Philharmonic is even better than Reiner's too, and it's dirt cheap. It might even be on one of the Amazon $1.99 special sets. It's a BIS recording.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #98 of 9,368
Wow, Malaysian Philharmonic.  I must have missed that one.   
happy_face1.gif

I just noticed that Andre Previn is actually featured on that very same Reiner CD, with very good renditions of Flight of the Bumblebee and Tsar Saltan.  

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #99 of 9,368
The Malaysian Philharmonic did a complete Rimsky-Korsakov cycle on BIS. It's some of the best orchestral recordings I've ever heard. The Antar Symphony is hands down the best version I've ever heard. Worth getting, and used copies of the whole cycle are pretty cheap at Amazon.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #100 of 9,368
While I mentioned Previn and the LSO one of my favourite recordings is 'Four Sea Interludes' from Peter Grimes. The music is very atmospheric - indeed magical - and the recording SQ of the highest order.

No one has mentioned Shostakovich here. One of my favourite composers. His music is chocked full of irony - very moving. Stalin must not have had a sense of irony or he would have shot the composer a thousand times. The 15th Symphony with Haitink won many awards in its time. The recording is superb and lovers of the William Tell overture will recognise the composers nod to Rossini.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #102 of 9,368
Do you have that box? It's VERY expensive. You can get everything Bach ever wrote in great recordings and performances for a fraction of the price of that particular box.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #104 of 9,368
I very much like the recording of La Traviata from Carlos Kleiber in SACD version.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #105 of 9,368
The filmed Traviata by Zefferelli is great too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back