Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #46 of 9,368
I love Mackerras in everything he does, except Brahms.  He's too even handed, to beautiful for Brahms.  IMO, Brahms needs searing emotional intensity or he falls flat. 

For Brahms, check out Szell, Toscanini, Levine, and Dorati for the Symphonies.

The Piano Concerto's are best served by Pollini or Gilels. 

The Violin Concerto is well served by many performers, with Heifetz, Oistrakh, and Grumiaux being first among equals, IMO.

I wish I could give you good recs for his chamber music but most interpretations I've heard either completely suck, or get really close and are thus even more frustrating. 

Last, but not least, with the solo piano stuff, Radu Lupu is great in the late piano pieces, and Katchen is great in everything else.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #47 of 9,368
Quote:
HIP is fine, but it should be remembered that in the early eras, it was pretty loose. Left up to the performers. Any HIP conductor who claims otherwise or says there was no vibrato or crap like that is full of it.

perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but modern performance of pre-romantic music has moved way past the "vibrato" question (which may have been a question on David Hurwtz mind anyway). Today's HIP conductors understand that Toscanini's "as written" does not apply to pre-romantic music, and are more and more adventurous  with decorations, and, more recently, outright improvisation. Just compare the early HIP performances of, say, Monteverdi or Handel (let's simply forget about the non HIP ones), with the recent work of Alessandrini or Jacobs to see how things have changed for the better...

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #48 of 9,368
But there are still HIP recordings with violins that sound like shoeboxes. Perhaps HIP doesn't mean much any more.

I like expressiveness (vibrato, rubato, etc). Perhaps that is HIP now.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #49 of 9,368
I really enjoy the Richard Goode Beethoven Piano Sonatas. Really, really love them. Too bad the sound quality is sub-par.

Can someone recommend a better recorded Beethoven Piano Sonata set or select Sonata's from certain pianists. Also, maybe is there any other piano sonatas anyone would recommend other than from Beethoven.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #50 of 9,368
What's wrong with the sound? Is the piano sound unnatural?

I have Barenboim, Arrau and Schnabel, but I don't know if the sound would e better. (Especially Schnabel which is my favorite anyway.)

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #51 of 9,368
The Kempff recordings on DG are quite fine, and the newer set with Paul Lewis on Harmonia Mundi is great, too, with superb sound.

For other sonatas: Schubert's are a must. Kempff again is my choice. There are lot's of sonatas by lots of composers - so many that's it's hard to tell where to go next. Some of the ones I enjoy the most are those by Rubinstein and Bax. Not everyone's choice, but I like them quite a bit.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #52 of 9,368
No, the piano sounds great. There is a lot of strange sounds like breathing etc, but it is not breathing. It is kind of spooky. Other than that it is recorded a little quiet, turning up the gain raises the noise floor substantially. The piano and performance is outstanding. It is a shame.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #53 of 9,368
Oh man! Stay away from Glen Gould!

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #55 of 9,368
I really enjoy the Richard Goode Beethoven Piano Sonatas. Really, really love them. Too bad the sound quality is sub-par.

Can someone recommend a better recorded Beethoven Piano Sonata set or select Sonata's from certain pianists. Also, maybe is there any other piano sonatas anyone would recommend other than from Beethoven.

There is Schubert with Alfred Brendel as its most dedicated performer.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #56 of 9,368
Quote:

Speaking of Gardiner I have been recommending this live recording of Beethoven 5th and 7th  http://www.wqxr.org/#/programs/carnegie/2011/nov/16/

Give it a try and let me know if that 5th is emotional enough for you :)

these are now available for purchase (CD, flac, mp3) at http://www.monteverdi.org.uk/shop/albums/other-releases/beethoven-symphonies-5a7
There is a 20% discount code I used succesfully a few minutes ago BSSP2, BSSP2FLAC, BSSP2MP3

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #57 of 9,368
Quote:

For recorded sound and overall performance, I would recommend Schiff's cycle. His series of lectures are also quite illuminating:
http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #59 of 9,368
Pentatone has great sound, but to be honest, most classical recordings have great sound.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #60 of 9,368

I'm not a fan of classical music, but there was an album I  particularly enjoyed:

Isao Tomita interpretation of "claire de lune" by debussy , is just unforgettable.

I liked a bit the "Grand Canyon Suite" by aaron copland, interpreted by Isao Tomita too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back