Best/Cheapest Stores to buy Headphones (Online or not)
Feb 25, 2003 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

JiPi

500+ Head-Fier
I was wonderring. I've been on this cheap headphone search
for a while already and I just can't seem to find what I want for
good prices. Either they're too expensive (buying new from well-
rated online stores) or suspiciously low priced (at not so well-
rated online stores).

Then there is the For Sale/For Trade forum here, which is a pretty
good idea imo but then again you don't always find what
you're looking for (especially if you're not looking for a $900 pair
of headphones.. for, say, newbies
wink.gif
, like me.). Most headphones
for sell here are high-end like HD-600 and such but I don't see
much portable headphones (like V700 for example). Obviously
this is not a bad thing at all.. hehe. But it all depends on what
you're looking for.

So anyway, I wanted to ask a few big buyers (or first timers)
where they got their cans and if they thought it was a good
deal. And maybe if it was possible to make a review of online
stores, so newbies like me won't get caught into paying for
headphones that they won't ever see :\

Thanks a lot, would be very helpfull
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,
JiPi

Feb 26, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 24
I bought my Sony V6's from MillionBuy.com. Good prices and fast shipping. They stock a lot of Sony cans.

My Beyer DT770's were gotten from BHPhotoVideo.com, which also had very good prices and fast shipping. They have a very large selection.

I have purchased other computer stuff from NewEgg.com. They stock some Sennheiser headphones at very good prices, also.

Feb 26, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 24
I bought my HD580 phones at www.hififorless.com and my amp at www.hcmaudio.com I'm happy with the service at both of these retailers.

Whereas I never bought audio equipment from them, I do all my photography equipment shopping at www.bhphotovideo.com They are a very reputable company. In fact, if you're in NY, check out their store. It's incredible!

Feb 26, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 24
I've bought most of the interesting stuff from this forum or headwize. I just bought a pair of ATH-M30 (45$ but they're already to sell
wink.gif
) at Kraftmusic, perfect service, and a pair of SR60 at Hifi.com (55$) but the shipping was terrible as the customer service. They offered good discounts
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 24
most of my great deals I got from the gear to sell forum here, I got a few sweet deals on ebay, audiocubes is like one of the very few amount of vendors where u can pick up eggos or audio technicas, and then there's always meier audio and headroom that offer decent deals (and support our sponsers as well)

Feb 26, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 24
I think the Gear For Sale/Trade has plenty of deals for portable phones that pop up. I wouldn't really call the V700 a portable headphone though, nor do I doubt it's hard to find a good deal (considering it's overpriced). Nor do I think many people on Head-Fi would buy that headphone in the first place (with the exception of the gone but not forgotten Magicthyse).
smily_headphones1.gif
So I'm not surprised you haven't picked up a deal on those. As for the iMP-400 you're looking for, that's pretty new and I don't think many people have had it very long or if they didn't like it would just end up returning it (I'm an exception I suppose - I decided I wanted to return it a day after the 30-day return period expired
rolleyes.gif
)

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-580's from the forum here. It was great deal. The phones were in great condition, no problems involved... I've bought some Discmans on ebay without hassle. A lot of great deals pop up here of the Gear For Sale/Trade forum, you just have to be watching and waiting. If I had more money at my disposal I would have bought way more headphones than I need from there
tongue.gif
If you don't go for that, bargain hunt some on the web, and if the prices are still too high...obviously your time would be better spent earning some cash.
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2003 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 24
hi,
my general advice for online shopping is the following.

Do some basic research everytime you are buying something. I am talking a 10 minute search over the net and you will know where the prices are; soon enough you will develop a sense as to which prices also make sense (remember the generic rule, too good to be true ... it tends to apply).
That is why you want to have a range by eliminating the absolute lowest prices and pick the low you feel is "valid". This way you can hardly go wrong. Just try to stay away from completely unknown vendors (which usually show ridiculously low prices).

One site that I often come across is newegg - I just got the Sennheiser 580 from them and the price seemed a lot better than most audio specialized sites.

good luck

Feb 27, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 24
Thanks for the replies.. As for the V700, I know they're not rightly
priced and this is why I'm looking for someone who's willing to
sell them for cheap
wink.gif

As for them not being portable.. Do you really mean that? I mean,
compared to PortaPro's they might not be the most portable cans
ever but them being foldable makes them portable and they're
not the biggest headphones ever either (even though they're not
as small/delicate as PortaPro's..). And their being sexy makes
them easily wearable in public so that's a plus too.

Even though they might not sound soooo good, I'm
guessing they're not so horrible (if you can get them at a good
price that is). It's not like I'd be only listening to these 'phones
anyway, I'm going to get a pair for home use after I settle on a
portable one first
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 24
Jipi,

I didn't mean to say that couldn't use the V700's portably, rather that I think that's not what they're primarily designed for. If you say Portapros or PX200, I think of those as designed for portable use, whereas a V700 is more for DJ applications (the full model # is actually MDR-V700DJ).

Feb 28, 2003 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 24
I was wonderring if it really was safe to buy from eBay... I see
some 'kinda' good prices on there (even though some people
are stupid enough to bid 4 days before auction ends.. <sigh>).
I might buy some headphones from there but I have to be sure
it's really safe and maybe get some tips as of how to not be
ripped off.. or something
wink.gif

Thanks,
JiPi

PS. Most headphones I see on eBay are about the same price (or
close) as they are on etronics.com .. What should I go with?

Mar 1, 2003 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 24
it is going to have to be your decision, because if you ask me, I have not and never will buy from ebay. But I have successfully sold a few items. Each time I was surprised how many people out there are just willing to send their money (I am talking expensive stuff, between $500-$2000 - but I guess that it the way it is, lots of people there are happy as ebay buyer as well.

Mar 1, 2003 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 24
I've had a very good track record with both selling and purchasing items on ebay. I've never bought headphones though, or really much electronics. That's a riskier business there...I think you have a much bigger chance of your item not working or for something to go wrong with it. I'd go with buying from a store over ebay.

Mar 1, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 24
I've purchased two electret units that were well over 20 years old and work perfectly. I've bought various records, cds and dvds, never had a problem with ebay at all.

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:51 AM Post #15 of 24
if you're even thinking about the V700, go buy a pair of D66 eggos.

closed, portable, sexy and sound good.

I'd have a pair by now, but I'm waiting for exchange rates to suck less, and find the US money I put in a safe place, and then forgot about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back