Best Cheap Headphones (under $100)
Sep 13, 2009 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jbarendt

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a cheap pair of full sized headphones, preferably around $70-$80, but will go up to $100. I listen to mainly Metal (Dream Theater, Metallica, Slipknot, Symphony X, ect.), rock (Twisted Sister, Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, Pink Floyd), and punk (Casualties, Sum 41, Rise Against). I need a pair of headphones with an excellent, but not artificial, bass respnonse (not like those junky "Subwoofer" Skullcandy ones). I want a pair that has powerful mids and great hi's for those face melting solos. Also, I plan on using these cans with my iPod, not any fancy studio equipment. I'm not going to be using these for 8 hours a day, but i want a pair that doesn't scratch or hurt my ears. I'm not worried about how they look (if i was, i would get a pair of skullcandies) so any type will do. I don't travel much, so I don't care about noise cancellation (if it is, that's just a bonus). Also, i want a durable pair. If it's a foldable pair, so be it, but I would rather take years of usage over portability. I hope you can reply as soon as possible. Thank you!

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 27
Unrelated: Does it irk anybody else that users sign up, and the first post they make is "recommend me a headphone"? Does nobody do their own research any more?

Related: AT M50?

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 27
Thanks. I'm mainly looking inot grados. ive heard better things from them over bose, sennheiser, or any other good brand. ill probably go with the sr60is or 80s. is there any noteable diff? Yes, I know that i pretty much made this acc to get a pair of headphones reccomended, but any reply is greatly appreciated.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100$ will get you MS1s or SR-80s.

I would say MS1 is the best deal within this price range! Everyone seems to like these phones!

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 27
how about Denon D1001?
(the creative aurvana live's are actually the same thing in a different housing, so if you can get them cheap, these will work as well.)

In any case, I think these would very well for you.
Nice midrange.
Very comfy.
Sweet highs
Bass is a bit muddy, but completely acceptable.
durable? maybe not horribly durable..

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unrelated: Does it irk anybody else that users sign up, and the first post they make is "recommend me a headphone"? Does nobody do their own research any more?

Related: AT M50?

Thats exactly what I did three days ago
icon10.gif

I think people do do their research and then post asking for others opinions. Well, thats what I did, anyway.

I would also suggest the M50s btw

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about Denon D1001?
(the creative aurvana live's are actually the same thing in a different housing, so if you can get them cheap, these will work as well.)

In any case, I think these would very well for you.
Nice midrange.
Very comfy.
Sweet highs
Bass is a bit muddy, but completely acceptable.
durable? maybe not horribly durable..

Denon D1000 is a good closed phone, but if isolation is not that important, the Grado phones and MS1 is much better in terms of SQ IMO.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 27
To the OP: the Alessandro MS-1 are Grados. They are basically SR-125 that have been slightly tweaked for a more neutral frequency range. Truly iconic cans and the only real full-sized "gem" in that price category.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP: the Alessandro MS-1 are Grados. They are basically SR-125 that have been slightly tweaked for a more neutral frequency range. Truly iconic cans and the only real full-sized "gem" in that price category.

Plenty of vintage Orthos can be found for that price range. Let's not forget that there are plenty of cans that nobody's heard about (Fostex, dbi Pro700, etc)

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D1000 is a good closed phone, but if isolation is not that important, the Grado phones and MS1 is much better in terms of SQ IMO.

I guess I wouldn't know

I've been meaning to try a Grado... but it just doesn't seem like I would really use them all that much.. I like my sound stage >_>
IDK, if anyone wanted to let me barrow a pair of grado's I'd more than happy to accept.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 27
MS1s - can't really touch it for under $100.00 which includes worldwide shipping.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back