Best cheap earbuds?
Aug 30, 2006 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

xelion

Head-Fier
Well, I've been wanting some nice headphones forever now, and now that I have a job, I've decided to get me some, though not really nice ones like some HD600's or whatever(I'm a noob) as I need to save up for a car still, but some decent earbuds for use at school and such.

I was looking to spend about 50-75 bucks on them, and if I could find them used I'd probably buy them that way, so take that into consideration when proposing the headphones to me and how much they would cost used.

I listen to a lot of rock, metal, and some blue'sy classic rock, so what would be the best earbuds/IEM's for my price range for those type of music.

Thanks.

Aug 30, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 26
With that budget in mind, and if u like rock/metal at all, I wouldn't go IEMs, maybe later and with a larger budget, but I think cheapies will just give u a (most likely negative) polarised view. I've heard only good things about the Koss KSC-75. My friend says they really have some nice kick in them, he's comparing to a Alessandro MS-1. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the Koss' yet, but it's way below your budget and would be a very nice starter set...

If however you're dead set on buds/IEMs, I hear the Sennheiser CX300 is good. I just bought the Sennheiser MX450 and found them to be both uncomfortable (too used to E4Cs now..) and also to have a sharper sound than the earlier model, rebadged Senn's that came with my I-River. I think they are MX300 or MX400, with the nice rounded ear buds, instead of the sharp edge like the MX*50 series. Just opinion of course, and I'm gonna let the 450's run a while and see if they mature at all (I don't expect them to).

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 26
Well I need the buds for school, they don't allow headphones, so I have to hide them to listen to them.

And I'm sure anything would be better than my crappy 5 dollar walmart earbuds.

What about the Shure E2c's? How do they sound? Or the ER6i? If they are a lot better than others, I wouldn't mind going a little out of my price range.

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind
With that budget in mind, and if u like rock/metal at all, I wouldn't go IEMs, maybe later and with a larger budget, but I think cheapies will just give u a (most likely negative) polarised view. I've heard only good things about the Koss KSC-75. My friend says they really have some nice kick in them, he's comparing to a Alessandro MS-1. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the Koss' yet, but it's way below your budget and would be a very nice starter set...

If however you're dead set on buds/IEMs, I hear the Sennheiser CX300 is good. I just bought the Sennheiser MX450 and found them to be both uncomfortable (too used to E4Cs now..) and also to have a sharper sound than the earlier model, rebadged Senn's that came with my I-River. I think they are MX300 or MX400, with the nice rounded ear buds, instead of the sharp edge like the MX*50 series. Just opinion of course, and I'm gonna let the 450's run a while and see if they mature at all (I don't expect them to).

The earbuds that come with iRivers are MX400s. Lovely earbuds-very balanced, crisp highs, but absolutely no bass at all-they sound flat.

My EP-630s destroy them.

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 26
Assuming you are listineing to an MP3 player Then you won't need and amp for buds/in-ears.

I think the Creative EP-630 is exactly what you are looking for and well within your budget.

Simon

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 26
I like the Panasonic HJE-50's over the Creative 630.

The Panasonic's are a bit more dynamic with better bass impact. Both characteristics are rare for a cheap IEM.

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 26
$50-$75? Sounds like enough for some im716's. real IEM's rather than just in ear phones like ep630. You would need an amp though. I think cmoy or something in that range is good enough for these phones, but I've never used them.

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
$50-$75? Sounds like enough for some im716's. real IEM's rather than just in ear phones like ep630. You would need an amp though. I think cmoy or something in that range is good enough for these phones, but I've never used them.

Or iM616s, no amp needed. But like nsjong said, if he's trying to listen to these at school and not get caught, IEMs might be a little too isolating.

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Well I need the buds for school, they don't allow headphones, so I have to hide them to listen to them.

so just how are you planning to hide the wires?

Aug 30, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 26
I hide my player in my hoodie, and make a hole in the pocket and run the cord up to my ears, where my hair covers it.

And I usually only listen to one bud at a time so that if the teacher calls on me I can still hear them, so the isolation is no problem, and would actually be nice becuase when I'm waiting for my bus at the bus terminal, with 5 or 6 busses I have to turn my mp3 player almost all the way up to be able to still hear my music currently.

And I've gathered a few questions, for anyone who has listened to both the CX300's and the EP-630's, which did you prefer? What did they both sound like?

Also, I was looking at the Shure E2c's, but I've not heard the best things about them, how do they compare to the above two headphones? I was also thinking about the Etymotic ER6(i)'s (is there a difference besides the color between the ER6 and the ER6i?) even though they are a little out of my price range, what do you all thing about those?

And these iM6/716's, whats the difference between that 616's and the 716's for the 716's to warrent the need of an amp? They are in my price range so I might get them if I see some favorable reviews.

Also another question I had, I've read a few reviews of the different phones talking about the noise the cord makes as it rubs on your clothes, is this just a problem with all IEM style headphones? Or is it just certain ones, and is there anything to fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back