Best CD recording of "Kind of Blue"?
Oct 31, 2008 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
Can someone suggest the best CD recording of Kind of Blue? I have an old CD that I love and would like to get a "definitive" recording.

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 10
I can recommend LFF's remastering. If you really want the definitive recording, find a good copy of the LP and send it to Luis
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 10
I love the SACD version. If you want to test the waters, the Sony CE595 is a great way to test the waters. They retail around $100, but you can find them around $60 used or refurbished.

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.com: Kind of Blue: Miles Davis: Music

DO NOT buy this version. It is not speed corrected and the music, on the whole, is a tad too bright. Stay away from the recent vinyl re-release put out by Columbia. If you want the best version on vinyl - look for the out of print Stereo version released by Classic Records on 180 gram vinyl.

My personal favorite is my own remaster but I am biased and spoiled as I have remasters of the mono, original stereo and the pitch-corrected stereo.

For standard retail issues, I believe the Japanese SACD is the best one you can get. If that is too pricey, then get the British Hybrid SACD.

Hope that helps.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this any good?: Amazon.com: Kind of Blue: Miles Davis: Music

It's cheap...

It's the current standard issue - remastered with tubes and speed corrected. It's not bad but it's not the best. I'd rather order the British Hybrid SACD.

You could probably pick this version up at a used CD store for $4.00 though.

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks folks. Looks like I'll be getting the current standard issue remastered....as I do not own an SACDP and....um....I'm cheap. It'll be fun to run it side by side with the one I already own.
Final question: Which is closer to the original release?

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks folks. Looks like I'll be getting the current standard issue remastered....as I do not own an SACDP and....um....I'm cheap. It'll be fun to run it side by side with the one I already own.
Final question: Which is closer to the original release?

That a tough final question.

The stereo release has always been off speed due to a faulty tape machine. So the closest to the original stereo release will be the original CD issue.

The mono release was released at the correct speed but the tapes have been lost. There is no way to get a mono of the original unless you find a mint mono 6-eye copy and do a transfer yourself.

The new version, first released as the Gold Sony SBM CD version, has quite of bit of dynamic range and less hiss but sounds nothing like the original mono or stereo. The Gold version was mastered using solid state electronics while the standard re-issue was remastered using tubes. There is still much debate as to which of these two sounds better.

Hope that helps.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back