Best CD player under $1000?
Dec 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #16 of 21
x3 on getting a cheap cd player as a transport and getting a good dac. I will also recommend the DLIII. Now mine is modded and I absolutely love it, but I've also read nothing but positives on the stock model. Plus, if you do want to transfer stuff to FLAC, you can hook up your PC to the DLIII via USB if your soundcard doesn't have an optical/coax out.

I was in your shoes earlier in the year and was really considering getting a new cd player in the 1-2K range. After doing much research, I decided to go with the stand alone DAC, and as stated above, couldn't be happier with the choice.

Now, if you really want to go the CD route, I will recommend as another did to look at the C542. I was very happy using that as my source for a while and you can find new ones for $299 now (I paid $475 for mine.) Good luck with your search.

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If used, then a Linn Classik or a Meridian 506 or a Unico CDP.

Funny you should mention the Meridian 506, I have a 506.20 which I have been thinking of selling to get a Marantz SA11S1. Have you had an opportunity to compare them? I realize that an used 506 will probably sell for around $650 and an SA11S1 for around $1,500 so kind of a lopsided comparison but it would still be good to hear your opinion.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rerip everything in FLAC and get a nice Dac =b

I'm with Redo here. The DAC is just much more flexible. If you're really not into re-ripping your CD's for the moment, just run any old disc spinner as a transport for the CD's into the new DAC until you're prepared for the inevitable re-rip.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #20 of 21
I decided to get an expensive CD player and a good DAC. So, tell me how I did. . .

The CD Player: I got a Rotel RCD-02 for $100 in the FS forums. It supports HDCD. Its also been modded with a new clock. Here is info on the specific mods: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...d-02-a-436854/ I think it sounds pretty good, but, this is my first quality CD player (hopefully), so I have no basis for comparison.

The DAC: I got a Parasound 1100 D/AC for $430 in the FS forums. Based on my research, this price is a little over what they have gone for recently on Audiogon, but its in pristine cosmetic shape, and it not the rack mount version, which I disfavor. It also supports HDCD, which hopefully means it will mesh well with my Rotel.

So, only $530 spent. What do you guys think? How'd I do?

My next acquistion will be a pair of HE-5s. I am also considering purchasing a CD player supporting SACD, but would like to find a good bargain as I only have maybe 20 SACD (Shostakovich's SACD syphony cycle, and few other classical recordings). If anyone has a good deal on a SACD player, please let me know.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #21 of 21
marantz sa8001 are great sacd player..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back