Best CD player under $1000?
Oct 17, 2009 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all:
I foolishly ripped all my CDs in a lossy format, and have decided to buy a CD player instead of re-ripping everything to FLAC. Can you recommend something for under $1000?

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 21
Assuming you want to stay balanced (based on the equipment in your sig), I'd recommend either the Apogee Mini-DAC, Music Hall DAC 25.2, or the PS Audio DLIII DAC, and an inexpensive CD/DVD player with optical or coax outs to use as a transport.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 21
My recommendation would be an NAD C542. I've used it for a while now with my RSA HR-2 and Senn HD-600's and the combo sounds great. The DAC section in the NAD compares well (I prefer the NAD) to my DAC Magic. The NAD C542 should sound good in your setup.

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 21
Are you willing to consider used players? Your dollar will go a lot further. Check Audiogon - there are usually quite a few good ones at good prices.

Also, do you have any interest in SACD? If you listen to much classical or jazz, you might want to pick up something that supports the format. I've been into the format for almost three years and am very pleased with the sound quality.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 21
Interesting timing Uncle Erik, as my 3-year old Marantz SACD player has just started playing up and I dont relish the thought of spending several hundred on a new laser for it. That would be my main concern with buying used - ensure that you aren't about to buy someone else's problems, or make sure the player is priced accordingly.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 21
I had a Rega Apollo before I upgraded to a Saturn. I compared it to many cd players, including the Onkyo 7555 mentioned above. It was more musical than all of them, by a considerable margin.

For an inexpensive player, though, I think the Onkyo's are a good deal. But if you've got a grand to spend, try and listen to an Apollo in your home system. I have a local dealer who sells them for $800.

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming you want to stay balanced (based on the equipment in your sig), I'd recommend either the Apogee Mini-DAC, Music Hall DAC 25.2, or the PS Audio DLIII DAC, and an inexpensive CD/DVD player with optical or coax outs to use as a transport.

X2, an used Oppo dvd-player for under $200 (less if used) would make a very nice transport coupled w/ a PS Audio DLIII DAC or an used Monarchy Audio NM24 (I have seen it in Audiogon for as low as $780 used).

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2, an used Oppo dvd-player for under $200 (less if used) would make a very nice transport coupled w/ a PS Audio DLIII DAC or an used Monarchy Audio NM24 (I have seen it in Audiogon for as low as $780 used).

I've wondered what an Oppo dvd player would sound like with a V-DAC or something similar...

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #14 of 21
Another vote for the Rega Apollo.
Before I switched over to a squeezebox plus DAC I had this CD-player for 3 years; I loved it; it has a very pleasant musical sound, the only CDP I could actually enjoy and afford I ever heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back