Best Cans for Hardcore/Metal ($300-500)
Oct 6, 2009 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm deciding if I want to upgrade my IEM's or my fullsize headphones, and I'm thinking I would end up with a better upgrade if I upgraded my full size headphones.

My only dilemma with high end cans is amping. I have a cMoy, and that's it. It has high/low gain and a bass boost. I would be running it through my computer primarily which sports a Creative X-fi XtremeMusic.

I love my Grado's and the bass boost that the cMoy gives it is a nice warm and not boomer, but FULL sound and I love that, so I guess I'm looking for an upgrade to that.

$500 is already expensive, so that's the maximum. I'm already not sure if I can justify the upgrade because these Grado's and cMoy seem like they couldn't get any better, and I almost feel spending $300-500 more won't get me that good of an upgrade. Prove me wrong?

Oh yeah, my music is either ALAC or 256 MP3/AAC and up files. Main genres: Hardcore, Metal, Acoustic, Indie, Alternative, and some Rap and Hip Hop. Open or closed doesn't matter, but I've always been lead to believe open is better, but I'm also in a dorm with a roommate, yet it's still no big issue.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 25
I know it's unruly to bump this early, but I posted this late and it's almost pushed back to page 3.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you checked out this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...hones-421192/?

It's a very interesting read indeed. It's a bit hard to find one though, heh.

What do you guys think about the AKG K701 for Metal/Hardcore?

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 25
Ultrasone PRO 900 is very good can, and easy to drive -- even a CMOY might do it justice.
And I have found that even the Grado SR80 is an upgrade to the SR60, if you like the Grado sound.
Both cans can live with a CMOY amp, if you want/need to delay the amp purchase for later.
Been there, done that.

PS -- I think you would be happier with the above cans than the K701, but that is only MY opinion.
I think the bass is good on both, a bit better than the K701, for what you want.
Others may think differently, of course.

And, with the (more $$$) PRO 900, you can sometimes even FEEL the bass -- WITHOUT it being overwhelming -- just great SQ all the way. Audiophile quality.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 25
I listen to alot of alexisonfire and SOAD through my k701's and have no complaints. I especially love it with alexisonfire because of the awesome vocals that are really heard with the k701's.

edit: If I were you I would get something from the sr325 series, from what I've read they are fairly easy to power unlike the k701's.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think about the AKG K701 for Metal/Hardcore?

Well, while being a true K701 admirer, I'd rather pick other cans (probably Ultrasone) for these genres. I'm not a great metal/HC fan, but when I listen Ministry on my home setup, I have a feeling that something is missing. Music flows, there's PRaT, but these cans cannot express raw, pure energy and "brutality", required for proper playback. They are much better for listening sublime music - baroque, jazz, ambient, choirs, etc. With punk/HC/trash they sound as if you went for a Slayer concert dressed in a tuxedo suit.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 25
When it comes to "brutality" -- the PRO 900 "takes the gloves off"!

If the music has sweet vocals, they will deliver.
If the music gets down, dirty, and brutal, these cans can be "Rated X".
L3000.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, while being a true K701 admirer, I'd rather pick other cans (probably Ultrasone) for these genres. I'm not a great metal/HC fan, but when I listen Ministry on my home setup, I have a feeling that something is missing. Music flows, there's PRaT, but these cans cannot express raw, pure energy and "brutality", required for proper playback. They are much better for listening sublime music - baroque, jazz, ambient, choirs, etc. With punk/HC/trash they sound as if you went for a Slayer concert dressed in a tuxedo suit.

That's a VERY helpful post, thank you. I've always admired the pure beauty of the pair, but never had the money nor equipment capable of maximizing it's performance.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When it comes to "brutality" -- the PRO 900 "takes the gloves off"!

If the music has sweet vocals, they will deliver.
If the music gets down, dirty, and brutal, these cans can be "Rated X".
L3000.gif

Although they look really nice, they're over my price tag. I already have a hard time putting my budget up that high, so anything over it is a bit much.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although they look really nice, they're over my price tag. I already have a hard time putting my budget up that high, so anything over it is a bit much.

What about PROLine 2500? These should be within your budget.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about PROLine 2500? These should be within your budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the Ultrasone PRO 750 and HFI-780 are almost as good as the PRO 900, but lower prices.

What are the pros/cons of each model? And the Grado SR325i seems like a nice choice and the main contender at the moment.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 25
I think if you buy some iBasso D10(USB DAC) and used SR325i willbe great upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back