best cans for female vocals
Feb 1, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahh...you know edwards and piper.
smily_headphones1.gif

it's my own but a derivative of theirs for sure.

Aha! I knew it!
tongue.gif

Well, in any case, I like it and agree with it heartily.
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha! I knew it!
tongue.gif

Well, in any case, I like it and agree with it heartily.
beerchug.gif

thanks...someone with the same view of life.
biggrin.gif

So you know by celebration it's meant: to know, taste and delight... giving towards boasting and glorying in.
And by worth, it's meant: glory and excellence

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hhhmmm. happiness is about an object? I can't say that I agree. I'd say they are distractions from unhappiness.

key is ultimate (infinite)
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #35 of 72
PRO 900 do really sound nice with female vocals compared to everything else I've tried. Though, depending on the track, the bass can get quite dominant if you are trying to focus on the vocals.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
key is ultimate (infinite)
wink.gif

What kind of object is infinite? I can't think of anything except the grado HP1000
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #37 of 72
HD800s or HD600s for high end listening. The 600 especially emphasizes the female vocal range; the 800 has a more realistic sound but doesn't emphasize the range quite as much as HD600s. I'd stay away from the 650s if this is all you listen to, although they are probably fine. I'm also a huge fan of AKG K701s, and if you go down a notch in price with cheaper associated eqipment the 271s are OK.

My recommendations are for people that listen at medium to medium-high volumes (anywhere from 70dB to probably 88dB), i.e. a notch or two lower than a live jazz performance in a club, but not that quiet.

I'm also a confessed Sennheiser junkie, so my bias runs deep.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of object is infinite? I can't think of anything except the grado HP1000
tongue.gif

I actually just laughed out loud in the café... ha!

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #40 of 72
The best I've heard for female vocals are the HE-5 and HD600/650.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and did not instantly think "The bigger the cans the better" ?

They've got to be nice and soft too, not like those Grado pads.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #42 of 72
Any price range? Then O2 Mk1 or HE90. The former is crisper sounding with more realistic texture, the latter is softer and more velvety, but both are very transparent and involving. R10 will shine here too but proper system matching is a must.

Also try the SR-003. Properly fitting these little things are absolutely stunning with vocals, you're not going to find such a combination of speed, delicate lushness, and warm tone at anywhere near the price.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #44 of 72
Thanks for all the replies.

I ordered the k701s because they are cheap and simple to do from Amazon. I'll look into the Ultrasones as well.

Few other notes:

1. I don't really know that much about headphones so some of the suggestions that just list model number leave me a little at a loss. For any future post can you also post the brand name of the cans. Thanks.

2. I don't mind my Denon D5000s on female vocals, but I'm shore something better is out there especially if price is no object. BTW these are overall nice cans. I don't reach for them first (that's my Grados), but every time I put them on I think to myself what a nice pair of headphones. My back handed compliment would be that they don't excel at anything, but they don't mess anything up either, and that's a good thing.

3. As for the recos on the Senns. I'm so jaded by the models I currently own which in addition to the hd650s include the 555s. They are boring boring boring, but apparently I have the wrong Sennheisers (595s, 600s, or 800s seem to work better for people). Money is no object but at present I can't bring myself to buy another pair of Senns.

4. As stated above, some post only included model numbers and I'm not knowledgeable enough to recognize the brand name. If you could post that up I would appreciate it.

Again, I'm looking for headphones that really make female (or male tenor altino / falsetto) vocals shine without sending me reaching for the volume down knob while not sacrificing too much elsewhere. Or, an easy combo for my Grados, but maybe it's best I search the Grado links for that.

Thanks again, and I look forward to other suggestions.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #45 of 72
my K701's have been my go to cans for female vocals for some time now. If you are looking for a grado sound signature however, check out the alessandro ms pro. I have one which is ultimate modded and it can very much hold its own in female vocals. The Ms ultimate and the k701 are similar. the differences are what make each phone unique. the smooth soothing sound of the k701 or the live sound of the grado, however toned down it might be in the alessandro enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back