Best cans for a 7-year-old
Mar 26, 2006 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

guynamedjohn

100+ Head-Fier
My son just sweet-talked me out of my 3g ipod. None of my 'phones would fit his head very well. What do y'all think would be the best sounding and best fitting cans for him? Sub $100, natch.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
PX100's or KSC75's. No competition here.

I've never used clip-ons. Would the KSC75's work on kid-sized ears?

I was definitely leaning towards the px100, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 46
3rd on the Koss. Theyll be a bit big right now, but theyre definitely a phone worth growing in to.
580smile.gif

Its a really fun-sounding phone, and at an unbeatable price

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 46
PX100,

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 46
PX-100 or Koss Portapro(2)... IMO for a 7-year-old I'd avoid clip-ons... even if they fit he might find them uncomfortable, and they're supposed to be fairly fragile. Headband-type sounds like a much better idea.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 46
Actually come to think of it, how about a pair of these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007056H/

Headband-type with KSC-75 price. They're not too badly constructed either (except the cable, which is cheap, but the inline volume control might be useful for a kid as an additional way of turning the volume down quickly).

Edit -- complaints about them being too big (for adults) in the reviews, so maybe this is not a good choice for a kid.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Actually come to think of it, how about a pair of these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007056H/

Headband-type with KSC-75 price. They're not too badly constructed either (except the cable, which is cheap, but the inline volume control might be useful for a kid as an additional way of turning the volume down quickly).

Edit -- complaints about them being too big (for adults) in the reviews, so maybe this is not a good choice for a kid.

As a teen, I can seriously say a few years ago when my head was definitley considered small and kid-size, I was only able to wear earbuds comfertabley. I had a pair of pxc250's I believe which ended up being my dads due to uncomfort, I remember borrowing my cousins tirports (and ended up getting them unforteuntly last year I believe as a gift) and having them also feel uncomfertable. In the end, only the earbuds (not in ear earphones) were comfertable. I think sennheiser has some good sets relatively cheap.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
As a teen, I can seriously say a few years ago when my head was definitley considered small and kid-size, I was only able to wear earbuds comfertabley. I had a pair of pxc250's I believe which ended up being my dads due to uncomfort, I remember borrowing my cousins tirports (and ended up getting them unforteuntly last year I believe as a gift) and having them also feel uncomfertable. In the end, only the earbuds (not in ear earphones) were comfertable. I think sennheiser has some good sets relatively cheap.

(uncomfortable) <<<<

Um, I kind of agree with you on that, but it really depends on HOW BIG the head of the child is.

I would recommend starting with something cheap. (sony earbuds)
Then once he is ready... upgraditus? Or maybe not as he will help you dish out your wallet.

The PMX60's are also a nice choice. I suggest something that won't fall off his head so easily.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynamedjohn
Best cans for a 7-year-old

Unless your son is the only 7-year-old with already matured self control I can easily foresee a future thread titled:
Best cans and equalizers for a hearing impaired 10-year-old
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 46
Something closed, like HD201, so that he doesn't kill his hearing with insane volume due to "openness". Just my $0.02--my brother is 17 (a musician, too) and his listens at ear-bleeding (for me) volume
very_evil_smiley.gif
confused.gif

Plus, aren't HD201's really sturdy?

EDIT: cosmopragma, nice timing
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back