Best canals/IEMs for isolation & comfort?
Mar 18, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 29
Probably the sf5p since it doesn't go in too deep, but i think it doesn't isolate that well. The etys will probably provide the best balance between isolation and comfort.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 29
It depends a lot on which tips you're using. At any rate, I think ety's are probably the best isolation you're going to get. I find them nice and comfy, but I know lots of people don't.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Do Etys w/ stock foamies isolate better than Shures with their stock foam? Or is it just a matter of the flange providing more isolation?

Good question. I don't recall ever seeing any data on the amount of isolation that the Shure stock foamies provide.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 29
Comfort award goes to, imo, Westone UM product line. The UM1's are nice and i hear the UM2's are even better.

Being a pretty standard working IEM, their nature alone makes them isolate well. The Super.fi 5 are comfortable but don't isolate as well as say...an Ety, just because it never enters your ear canal.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 29
A lot of people dont consider it in comfort, but I cant stand IEM's that dont go in deep or have at least some pressure when inserted. I've found IEM's that dont go in deep often feel like they could fall out at any second, which is very annoying, IMO.

My E2c go in deep and isolate extremely well while music is playing. I've found all IEM's to offer very little isolation (about on par with closed headphones) when they are not being used playing audio.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 29
How many people actually own more than one brand of IEM so they can comment on this? I have the ety er6i's and the ety4S's so I can say the foamies with the 4's isolate more and are more comfortable than the 6i's, but I have no idea about the shures. I used to listen with the triple flange with the 4's but, out of curiosity, I tried the foamies and never went back. But for the gym I use the triple flange with the 6i's. I tried their foamies but they are different than the 4's and seemed much worse. Does anyone here have multiple IEM's that can respond?

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 29
depends on what sleeves you use

-foamies are the most comfortable but are not the best isolators, maybe except for the very expensive comply tips
-triflanges isolate very well, but some find them uncomfortable because they go very deep in your canal
-silicone tips fall in the middle of the two

but of course, custom is the outstanding champ of comfort, isolation and sound

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 29
I have the Shure E3C's and the Etymotics ER-6's.

I haven't tried the Westones or UE's, but I find the Etymotics with the foam tips to have a good combination of comfort and isolation -- they don't insert as deeply into the ears as they do with flanges, and they're smaller than the UE's, so there's less "Shrek Effect" ... still somewhat low profile, as they're so small and light.

I first had the Ety's and used the two-flanged tips they came with, and was very impressed with the isolation ... but the fit/seal/sound changed slightly with yawns and moving my head up and down on plane flights (and they were somewhat tricky to get out of my ears, due to deep insertion).

I then got Shures and used stock foamies all along, really liking the "low tech" effect of using the foam tips. There is still isolation -- just not as impressive as the Ety's with the flanged tips. On a five-hour plane flight a few days ago, I enjoyed good isolation with the Shures in the (noisier) back of the plane. Whether playing music or just leaving them in my ears with no music playing, the ambient roar of the airplane cabin was reduced significantly, making for a less fatiguing flight. No discomfort, aural or physical.

I've switched to stock foamies for the Etymotics, but have not used them on a plane yet (which I consider the real test). The dark Etymotic foamies seem to be a little larger than the yellow shure foamies, and depending on one's ears, might create slighly better isolation. Even if they were less isolating than the Shures with foamies (and I think they're a little more isolating), they would be very comfortable for me -- and easier to put in and take out -- with the foam tips.

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 29
I guess ideally if you're looking for the best isolation and comfort and money is no matter, then custom fits are the way to go.

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 29
My ER6i + foamies are super comfortable. Isolation is also great. Cable is nice and light. The IEMs themselves are also very small and very lightweight. I love them for portable use!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back