Best can for up to $300 ?
Mar 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #62 of 148
Ok I look forward to hearing your comparison Trunks 159 ! I just got back from best buy and tested out a few headphones there. They didnt have much to choose from but I listened to the Pioneer Hdj2000s and I really didnt like those,hey were really staticy with rock music not at all enjoyable to listen too. I also listened to the Bose quiet comforts and those were probably my favorite there because I thought they were pretty comfortable, definetely noise canceling and sounded great with mellow music.. Now I didnt really get to test them out with other music but I would imagine they would lack bass, dont know for sure though. I think so far the MDR-1Rs are my favorite. I do like those Mad dogs but how nice of an amp would i need with those ?

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #63 of 148
Quote:
Ok I look forward to hearing your comparison Trunks 159 ! I just got back from best buy and tested out a few headphones there. They didnt have much to choose from but I listened to the Pioneer Hdj2000s and I really didnt like those,hey were really staticy with rock music not at all enjoyable to listen too. I also listened to the Bose quiet comforts and those were probably my favorite there because I thought they were pretty comfortable, definetely noise canceling and sounded great with mellow music.. Now I didnt really get to test them out with other music but I would imagine they would lack bass, dont know for sure though. I think so far the MDR-1Rs are my favorite. I do like those Mad dogs but how nice of an amp would i need with those ?

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #64 of 148
$100 is about the most I would pay for an amp. These look like very good headphones. What do they mean when they say its a modded headphone ? Also how portable is that amp you posted ?

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #65 of 148
Quote:
$100 is about the most I would pay for an amp. These look like very good headphones. What do they mean when they say its a modded headphone ? Also how portable is that amp you posted ?

Not portable, needs a wallwart, if you want portable: http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full Anyways, its a modded Fostex T50RP. There GREAT headphones though, wearing them right now. I own that specific O2 too, its a very nice combo.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #66 of 148
Quote:
Not portable, needs a wallwart, if you want portable: http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full Anyways, its a modded Fostex T50RP. There GREAT headphones though, wearing them right now. I own that specific O2 too, its a very nice combo.

What do they sound like ? Good for mellow music , rock, regge, and even hip hop ?

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #67 of 148
Also I just bought a ton of cds at best buy and im wondering if anyone knows how to import them without converting them into mp3s ? My objective is to put all of these cds onto an ipod without converting them into mp3s so I have some really high quality music to listen to with these new headphones !

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #68 of 148
Quote:

Yo dude probably sounds weird but would you test your Mad Dogs out with a band like Sublime or Red Hot Chilli Peppers ? They are probably the best representation for the music I will be listening to. They have vocals, guitar and bass in almost every song. I would test them out myself but I dont have any local store that carrys them, thanks.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #69 of 148
Quote:
Also I just bought a ton of cds at best buy and im wondering if anyone knows how to import them without converting them into mp3s ? My objective is to put all of these cds onto an ipod without converting them into mp3s so I have some really high quality music to listen to with these new headphones !

use apple lossless, dont use mp3, mp3 is lossy, meaning you are losing information when you import your cds to mp3. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #70 of 148
Quote:

use apple lossless, dont use mp3, mp3 is lossy, meaning you are losing information when you import your cds to mp3. 

Yes thats what im trying to avoid doing. I have downloaded a lot of lossless albums and also purchased many cds as well but I dont know how to get them onto my ipod. Also, right now im importing all these Cds into Realplayer as Wave files which is the same file type in a cd or very high quality nonetheless. Why apple lossless ? Isnt that for macs ? Im using a PC.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #71 of 148
guys i also want to ask, how much isolation does mad dog provide? because i listen to music on bart and bart is extremely noisy, the only satisfied solution isolation wise i have only had was from my etymotic research hf5 which is now broken and also i can no longer stand hf5's harshness. i think i will have to go ciem on this, or will mad dog be able to do the job? i dont have an amp since i gave my fiio e17 away along with my ipod classic to my little brother and i dont think i will be getting an amp anytime soon (headphone/iem comes first because i really need it) but i will be having an ibasso dx100 (technically i have it now, its just that my unit is broken so i will have to send it back) so power should not be a problem. iems wise that are worth mentioning (i have a lot of 10 bucks ones that i wont bother to mention here), i have ultimate ears trifi10 which i dont like the fit, klipsch x10 which has excellent fit, i dont like the harshness though based on memory, hf5 is still much harsher probably due to the sound signature. i dont use on ear headphones so dont even recommend on ear headphones to me. full sized headphones that are worth mentioning, i gave my brother my koss tbse1 which is now also broken so i will have to send it back to koss, too. i also have beyerdynamic dt990 pro 250ohm which is open so obviously not the portable solution. i also have sony z1000 which despite closed, still does not provide the isolation i need though sounds great (i dont dare to recommend the z1000 to op because first, its a discontinued model and i think they are selling it at retail 500 bucks so thats above op's budget, second, i love it and some love it too but its a very controversial headphone and some really dont like it.) i also have a fostex t50rp (stock, no mod) which is the most disappointing headphone in my inventory. some really like it, i struggle to find anything thats good on that headphone. so back to the topic, what should i do? ciem? 

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #72 of 148
Quote:
Yes thats what im trying to avoid doing. I have downloaded a lot of lossless albums and also purchased many cds as well but I dont know how to get them onto my ipod. Also, right now im importing all these Cds into Realplayer as Wave files which is the same file type in a cd or very high quality nonetheless. Why apple lossless ? Isnt that for macs ? Im using a PC.

apple lossless is for your ipod, pcs can store apple lossless files too. so use apple lossless, dont use wav, wav sounds the same as apple lossless except they dont display tags on your ipod and since its uncompressed lossless, it takes up more space. ipods dont support flac, i had an ipod so i know, just use apple lossless lol

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #73 of 148
Quote:

If you have a PC, I'd encourage you to actually test the difference between lossless and lossy - and then make up your mind on what format to choose.  This is especially so for an iPod / portable player, and also for something you'll be traveling with a lot.  To test:
[1] Download and install EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip your CDs.  Rip to either FLAC or ALAC (both lossless).
[2] Download and install Foobar 2000 - make sure you have the abx comparison plugin
[3] Use a transcoder (I use dbaudiopoweramp - http://www.dbpoweramp.com/) to transcode the lossless file to a lossy copy.  For this exercise (as you have an iPod) I'd recommend aac256.
[4] Volume match the lossless and lossy file using Foobar2000 (apply replay gain), then run the abx tool and see if you can actually tell the difference.
In a true blind test between lossless and aac256 - most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference - especially out of a portable device.  Yeah - sure - you'll get the usual comments from a lot of people that you must go lossy.  Rather than follow the masses blindly - find out for yourself - then you can make an informed decision.

For my own set-up at home (see my sig - while my gear is not high-end, it is by no means entry level either), after testing I found that aac vbr~200kbps is transparent (ie as good as lossless) to my ears.  YMMV.  For each new CD I buy, I rip to lossless (archive copy + what I use to play on my PC based system - as space no option) - I use FLAC.  Then I transcode to aac vbr~200 to put on my Touch 4G / iPhone4.  I only have a 32Gb - but so far have 294 full albums on it.

Quote:

If the difference is inaudible - then why would you need lossless on a portable space limited device?  Have you ever tested (abx) to see what you can actually hear?  It's enlightening 
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #75 of 148
Quote:

If you have a PC, I'd encourage you to actually test the difference between lossless and lossy - and then make up your mind on what format to choose.  This is especially so for an iPod / portable player, and also for something you'll be traveling with a lot.  To test:
[1] Download and install EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip your CDs.  Rip to either FLAC or ALAC (both lossless).
[2] Download and install Foobar 2000 - make sure you have the abx comparison plugin
[3] Use a transcoder (I use dbaudiopoweramp - http://www.dbpoweramp.com/) to transcode the lossless file to a lossy copy.  For this exercise (as you have an iPod) I'd recommend aac256.
[4] Volume match the lossless and lossy file using Foobar2000 (apply replay gain), then run the abx tool and see if you can actually tell the difference.
In a true blind test between lossless and aac256 - most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference - especially out of a portable device.  Yeah - sure - you'll get the usual comments from a lot of people that you must go lossy.  Rather than follow the masses blindly - find out for yourself - then you can make an informed decision.

For my own set-up at home (see my sig - while my gear is not high-end, it is by no means entry level either), after testing I found that aac vbr~200kbps is transparent (ie as good as lossless) to my ears.  YMMV.  For each new CD I buy, I rip to lossless (archive copy + what I use to play on my PC based system - as space no option) - I use FLAC.  Then I transcode to aac vbr~200 to put on my Touch 4G / iPhone4.  I only have a 32Gb - but so far have 294 full albums on it.

If the difference is inaudible - then why would you need lossless on a portable space limited device?  Have you ever tested (abx) to see what you can actually hear?  It's enlightening 
wink.gif

no i have not tested the difference but when you upgrade it will be a pain to rip your songs again, why will i use lossy in the first place? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back