Best Camera Lens Bag?
Oct 29, 2008 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a backpack style bag that has room for an SLR and 3 lenses at the minimum.

Canon 400d, Canon 70-200 f/4, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

Bonus points if it's as compact as possible and well built.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 36
No bag is the "best" overall, it depends on your preferences and needs. For a compact backpack that can carry quite a lot, I recommend the LowePro Mini Trekker AW.

I have one myself, and I carry quite a lot inside it: 450D + battery grip + Tamron 17-50 attached, 70-200 f4L, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 90mm macro, 430EX + Omnibounce + Flip-It Diffuser, 77mm CPL, Giottos Rocket Blower, 2 extra sets of AA batteries, extra memory cards, other assorted bits that I can't remember at the moment... that's not counting the front pocket, which can expand quite a bit and carry a sandwich + a small bottle of water. There are also SlipLock attachment points which allow you to securely attach LowePro's line of accessory packs (extra lens cases, water bottle holders, pouches etc).

It's surprising how much gear you can actually fit into that little backpack, including a full-size tripod (comes with a tripod holder built in!). It's really small, too - I was surprised at its tiny size at first.

If you need bigger, there are lots more choices, but none that really match the MiniTrekker for size. The harness system is quite good, too. Comfortable for long(ish) periods.

EDIT: Forgot the product link. http://products.lowepro.com/product/...AW,1965,14.htm

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 36
I've become a huge fan of my Domke bag - I have the J3 and absolutely love it. I take it with me whenever I can and it holds up great. Still looks great after two years of use and it's totally convenient and well thought out.

I think Domke makes the OutPack and another model or two in backpack form. Take a look.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 36
compact and Well built doesn't go together, you can't have protection and small. You either wack it all together in your messenger bag with the lenses in a sock or get a well padded bag and accept that the bag weights about 2kg on its own.

p.s. roastpuff mentioned all those accessories you can carry in the bag..ie 77mm CP, AA batteries, rocket blower...etc...no offence but they hardly take up any space. The gear you have listed is on the small size for the focal length, if one were to put in a 1DMKIII, 16-35, 24-70 and a 70-200 2.8 IS, 580EXII, one would really struggle. What I am saying is that you can't take the actual quantities listed, rather look at what people have put into their bags instead.

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 36
Well Roastpuff has two of my exact lenses, plus much more that I don't have. Plus his camera is larger with the battery grip.

Well built doesn't mean having two inches of foam around it, I don't need that. I simply need a pack that has about a half inch of foam around the lens sompartments and is small enough. That seems reasonable.

Thanks for the replies, I'll be sure to check them out.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 36
Roastpuff hit the ball out the park with his opening comment, but...

The cheap Canon is brilliant for what it is. It's my store everything bag. I have basically the same lenses you do, but my macro is a Sigma. I also store a flash, 50mm, and oodles of accessories. However, I wouldn't hike the Appalachian trail with it. Its comfort limited, but I can grab everything, put it on my back and go.

Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Greenish Accent): Electronics

It really does depend on what you want the bag for. I have 4 other bags: Shoulder carry Tamrac, 2 Lowepro Slingshots, and a CompuTrekker. The Trekker is better made (barely), but it serves no greater function than the Canon.

Here's how it goes from me:

On the go. Don't know what stuff I'll need. Will be in and out of the car ---- Canon
Zoo, Park, Day trip, etc. I cut down to what I need ---- Lowepro Slingshot 100
3 day hike with everything --- none of them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently eying the Tamrac 5586 Expedition 6x for real backpacking needs.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 36
how about a great smallish bag that would not get too much in the way whilst bicycling: i mean on a road bike with massive headwinds, windy roads, wet conditions and is not going to impede maneuverability at all. any that mount on bicycle racks? i have been getting by with a deuter hiking/bicycling bag but it is not optimal at all.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about a great smallish bag that would not get too much in the way whilst bicycling: i mean on a road bike with massive headwinds, windy roads, wet conditions and is not going to impede maneuverability at all. any that mount on bicycle racks? i have been getting by with a deuter hiking/bicycling bag but it is not optimal at all.

I don't think there is a good waterproof camera bag that will work on a stand alone basis. You may be better off having separate cases for your camera and lenses and using something like this: View the Bike Box2 at http://www.ortliebusa.com

I've found Ortlieb products to be well made and when they say waterproof, they actually are.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 36
I am like the LowePro D100 AW I got. Used it on a week long holiday in Rome carried it with me everywhere. Quite comfortable to wear of the should and I believe it has enough room for your camera and lenses. It the D100 can't fit them you might want to go with the D200 basically the same bag only bigger. I am sure you can get good quality camera bags that suits your needs from both Tamrac and LowePro.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

To OP and shingzeo, have you guys considered Lowepro slingshot series. I have the 200, currently it fit my Nikon d300, tamron 17-50 2.8, nikon 18-200 vr, nikon 35 f/2, nikon 50 1.8 and tamron 90 2.8. I think I can still fit another prime there if I want to. It doesn't bother me while bicycling and it's easy to get the camera in and out from the bag.

41rHmHDIG2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

41b44WhUxIL._AA280_.jpg

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 36
The slingshot series looks about the size I want. Not too wide and just big enough for my minimum gear.

Though, does it stay secure while hiking/biking? Or does it slide around when you don't want it to?

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 36
those are good options actually... thank you. ill have to check out with my small setup. i can put my tripod in side bags and maybe get my 70-300vr, d200 50 1.5 and my 18-70 all in there... very good stuff. who knows though, it takes some serious time.

the slingshot looks great if i am not riding. that looks amazing for hiking etc but if it slips whilst riding, i am toast!

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

the slingshot looks great if i am not riding. that looks amazing for hiking etc but if it slips whilst riding, i am toast!

I am wondering the same thing. If it rotates around me while I'm walking around or biking, then it's a no go. That would drive me crazy to no end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back