Best cables to tame digital nasties on poor recordings.
Oct 30, 2008 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Lornecherry

100+ Head-Fier
With good recordings my system is nicely balanced between being revealing with a touch of warmth and midrange bloom.

Yet, I have this propensity to some 80's CDs and poor rock recordings with enough digital grit to pave main street in a spaghetti western.

Whereas I realize that a bad recording is bad and there's nothing I can do to make it better, I want to make it is bearable as possible. The steps I've taken so far (Chord DAC 64 being the main one) have helped a lot, yet I feel there is still some room for improvement, especially with cable choices.

Here is the system: Sony XA777ES or Pioneer DV-38-A serving as transport to Chord DAC 64, to Stealth Silver cables to modded SinglePower MXP-3/Supra Hybrid serving as preamp, to more Stealth Silver Cables to Stax SRM-T1 to Stax Lambda Nova Signatures.

As the system is "par excellence" with SACD, XRCD, DVD-A or other high resolution recordings ...I'm going to assign blame to the silver cables. I have used Cardas Golden Refs in other systems and liked them ...but I'm looking for alternatives that may be better for the same money.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 24
Garbage in, Garbage out.

You really can't expect cables to alter the signal that much. 2% maybe, but cables do not perform miracles and just turn a crappy signal into a great one. There are a lot more components in the audio chain. The recording probably plays the largest role in your system and no cable is going to change it that much or you wouldn't have an accurate system. Your whole system is great at reproducing the signal it is given as accurately as possible and that is what it is going to do.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 24
Try a copper IC from Enigma Audio. I find silver tends to highlight the bad detail in poor recordings. A different cable likely will not be the ultimate solution but that will help.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i say try a NOS dac.

here is something else of interest:
meier analoger

The DAC is not the weakest link. It is one of the best one can expect to find out there in fact.

To the OP, I doubt very much that a different cable will achieve what you seek considering the level of gears you are using. Still, if you must, copper-cored cables are your best bet as they can be less "stark" than silver ones. IME Van den Hul cables (I have used The Bay C5) tend to have that smoothing effect. Try it.

Cheers!

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

You are right it is a steal , though perhaps not the way you mean it , this guy is strongly suspected of selling fakes, see this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/do...nk-1-a-360857/

did it come in original packaging ?

or perhaps cables really do not make that much difference, fake or genuine

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 24
Sorry for the bad recommendation, I got mine from Crutchfield, I had people coming over and they wanted to check out my setup and so I had it sent next day air. Cables do make a difference, and anyone who says other wise is not speaking from experience.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 24
And what about a Shunyata "King cobra"?
wink_face.gif

product_124281.jpg

Quote:

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 24
If my original post contained a link to a counterfeit cable why do you guys insist on copying it so other people can see it?

BOS, its a great cable for your purposes and even at 225 it sounds fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back