Best cables for Alpha Primes?
Jun 25, 2015 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dunkyboy

100+ Head-Fier
What are folks' favorite cables for the Alpha Primes?  (Or Alpha Dogs?)  Do cable upgrades make much of a difference? 

I'm currently using stock, but am curious.  The Primes are wonderful, but not faultless.  They could use a bit more top-end sparkle and openness...

Thanks,
Dunc

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 8
Some say cable upgrades make a real difference for headphones. Some people say that they don't. It's a big debate that you might want to do some research on before moving forward with a purchase :)

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 8
Oh yes, I've been in the audio game a long time...  I'm generally very skeptical of a lot of audiophile products, but I've experienced significant improvements from cables before.  But IME it's very dependent on the components involved.  Some components don't seem to be affected by cable swapping much at all, while others see big changes/improvements.  

Speaker cables tend to make a big difference IME, but I'm not sure about headphone cables?  I remember upgrading the stock cables on my Senn HD600 (really flimsy, steel cable) to the HD650 stock cables (much more substantial, copper cable) and it seemed to make a big improvement.

So that's why I'm after people's specific experiences with the MrSpeakers T50RP mods.  How do these cans respond to cable swaps/upgrades?  There are a lot of options out there - which ones do people find work best, if any?

If it makes a difference, I'm driving them with a Schiit Lyr (tube-rolled).

Thanks,
Dunc

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Probably looking in the wrong place. Most discussions on Head-Fi about cables for a specific headphone happen in the main discussion thread for that headphone. Try searching this thread for "cable": http://www.head-fi.org/t/676095/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-revealed-the-worlds-first-production-3d-printed-headphones

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 8
I have Norne Zoetic Audio cables on order. Not sure if they will improve the sound but Nornes look and feel fantastic (I have Vanquish cables for my Audezes).

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 8
  I have Norne Zoetic Audio cables on order. Not sure if they will improve the sound but Nornes look and feel fantastic (I have Vanquish cables for my Audezes).

Great, please do post your thoughts when you've tried them. :)

Dunc

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 8
I've purchased the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC cable and I'm waiting for the Cavalli LC to arrive in order to try it. I will update you as soon as the amp arrives, but a friend of mine who uses this cable in a similar setup swears about the improvement in sound this cable made for the Primes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back