Best Buds for Pink Floyd
Oct 17, 2008 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wtruitt

Head-Fier
OK.. decided to simply use my Sony's for cycling.. now I am looking for the best earbuds (have very small canals, never been able to use canalphones.. never tried IEM's and DEFINTELY can't afford custom IEMs..
I would like to keep my total purchase down to around 100.00 (150 would be max), so that most likely throws out any bud / amp combo.
I'm guessing PK2's or OK2's.. then.. so what am I getting for double the cost for OK2's? Leaning PK2 right now, but don't want to "hit the button" w/o advice...

Be great to try these first.. but don't think that's going to happen... keep watching the forum for either to come up for sale, but they rarely do and when they do, they are snatched up quickly...

Thx folks.. Wayne

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 16
Have you tried smaller tips? My Shure's came in three sizes and the small ones fall out of my ears. Also the plastic flexible ones can fit much easier than foam.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandnewgame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried smaller tips? My Shure's came in three sizes and the small ones fall out of my ears. Also the plastic flexible ones can fit much easier than foam.

Yes... tried the smallest tip for every canalphone I've had.. Senn* C300's, Skullcandy Ink'd (cheapies), etc, etc...

Maybe my insurance will pay for an ECEP (ear canal enlargement procedure)
tongue_smile.gif

Wayne

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes... tried the smallest tip for every canalphone I've had.. Senn* C300's, Skullcandy Ink'd (cheapies), etc, etc...

Maybe my insurance will pay for an ECEP (ear canal enlargement procedure)
tongue_smile.gif

Wayne

The sennheiser's have the largest sound output nozzle.. thingy.. (the thing the tip goes on). Shure's and Etymotics are much smaller and allow for smaller tip sizes.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Best buds for Pink Floyd? Hmmm...I'm thinking either Northern Lights or Purple Haze.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HellaChinese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's a little above your budget, but have you thought about the q-jays?

it's a dual armature earphone thats TINY and has some decent sound. look around for some reviews

I definitely appreciate this advice.. though I have wasted more that the q jays trying out different canalphones only to be disappointed. I am too 'fearful' of doubling that loss in ordering something that I can't use..

Believe me, I wish my ears were different, but can't rectify that.. going to have to work w/ buds unless I end up w/ some unexpected wealth..

Wayne

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best buds for Pink Floyd? Hmmm...I'm thinking either Northern Lights or Purple Haze.

LOL.. not THAT kind of bud!! :0)

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 16
Oct 17, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Title was misleading. I'm thinking Golden Thai or Maui Puna.

And for something constructive, the AT sticks sound pretty good. The TI sticks are a bit pricier but I thought they had better bass. Micro Center has them here in Cincy for demo.

AudioCubes.com - Earphones

These look cool but they are clip ons.
AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-EM9d Ear-Fitting Headphones -

Thx.. again.. too much for my budget.. Wayne

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 16
well what are you looking for in an earphone? what sound range do you like the best?

do you really like the high frequency sounds, like in the beginning of Shine on you Crazy Diamond (Part 1)?

or do really like the rockin guitar solos and crunching distortion?

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 16
Funny you mentioned that... The beginning of Shine on You Crazy Diamond is superb... Here's what I'm looking for (in non audiophile speak).. I am in an MBA program and while studying like to listen to iTunes on the computer. I have Jazz, Country, Rock, Classical, and Rap (ie.. wide variety of music). I like the music to be crisp and clear (not loud and distorted). Don't need noise cancellation..

Thx HellaChinese..

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 16
hmmm by distortion i meant guitar distortion (as in using distortion pedals), not the speaker distorting the intended sound.

does bass mean a lot to you? if not, the er-6i might be for you. it's a very crisp, detail oriented headphone. however, it's lower frequencies are REALLY light, and often called a tight (as in accuracy), flat bass.

i haven't researched much into the pk2's; you might wanna search their sound signature and figure out what you like the best.

this might be hard since you're new to hi-fi audio and don't really know what sound signatures you like best, but try to think about what aspect of the music you like the best now: bass, mids, or treble, since most headphones in the $100-150 range focus on one or two of these frequency ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back