CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 23, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #27,661 of 31,831
Just received KBEar KS1, having time with KS1 with BTR5, and will do a quick turn around for sub$30 segments beasts DQ6/Lark/KS1/EDX/CSN.CE651B92-D1E0-4340-8D16-0B8A031379C3.jpeg6B0E657B-529C-4CCB-9D49-24C30E0333D7.jpeg0A39EF63-E152-4C55-9668-BA35D0FFD9B6.jpeg
Glad to know that you are enjoying your budget collection just as much as I am! They are a steal for the price and the majority can hang with my more expensive collection, too!
Cheers! :beerchug:

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #27,662 of 31,831
Hello headfiers.

I'm a noob in the world of ChiFi, but occasionally lurk the thread for recommendations.

I bought a pair of TRN V90 based off reviews that I read here, and I loved them, but sadly after close to one and a half years they have given up on me.

I'm looking for something similar or an upgrade. Are the TRN V90S a suitable upgrade or sidegrade?

I'd like a similar sound signature, bassy but not overpowering the treble and mids.

The one thing I disliked about the TRNs is that vocals (especially listening to rock) were very recessed. So something that's not as recessed would be nice.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #27,663 of 31,831
Hello headfiers.

I'm a noob in the world of ChiFi, but occasionally lurk the thread for recommendations.

I bought a pair of TRN V90 based off reviews that I read here, and I loved them, but sadly after close to one and a half years they have given up on me.

I'm looking for something similar or an upgrade. Are the TRN V90S a suitable upgrade or sidegrade?

I'd like a similar sound signature, bassy but not overpowering the treble and mids.

The one thing I disliked about the TRNs is that vocals (especially listening to rock) were very recessed. So something that's not as recessed would be nice.
KZs ZSN/ZAX/DQ6. Folks even like TRN TA1.

If you have an dac-amp/high powered source then SFR DeeeTeee6 Pro is also a good option

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #27,667 of 31,831
Just got a Whizzer HE01 IEM.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-25 at 15.58.50222222.jpeg

OOTB, very nice packaging and shell design, I think it is very elegant looking compared to the usual metal shelled IEMs. My wife who is usually anti earphones and was gonna scold me for getting another IEM, came over to check out the damage. Then she went silent for a minute. Her next grudgingly spoken words were along the line that this is not a bad looking set, and that she wouldn't mind having it LOL.

Accessories are rather generous for a budget set - comes with a round metal hard case, silicone eartips (both narrow and wide bore), cleaning tool and a nice braided cable. I find the narrow bore eartips tend to boost bass, the wider bore ones tend to boost the upper mids/treble, YMMV as we have different ear anatomies.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-25 at 15.58.50 (1).jpeg

Isolation is above average for a single DD vented set, fit wise, it is very light and comfortable. I liked that the Whizzer HE01 features a 2 pin connector, I've had my fair share of issues with budget CHIFI MMCX which spun like a helicopter after repeated cable changes (cough cough urbanfun, actually it isn't urban nor fun when that happens). Only thing to note though is that the 2 pin connector here is protruding and may not fit all aftermarket cables, so just a point to note.

At a sensitivity of 112dB/mW, the Whizzer HE01 is easy to drive, but like most other single DD types, it scales with amping.

But of course, accessories and looks are secondary to sound. Now on to the sound, OOTB impressions: The Whizzer HE01 is a mild V shaped set, timbral accuracy is good as per its single DD roots. Note weight is about average. Technicalities are very good for a budget single DD, soundstage is definitely above average to good in height, depth and width. Clarity, imaging, instrument separation and details are really quite good considering it is a single DD set. One thing that stands out immediately are the very fast transients. Music never sounded congested. Would have to do some A/B testing against some well regarded single DD budget sets like the BLON BL-05S, HZSound Heart Mirror, iBasso IT00 over the next few days to see who is the technicalities king though.

For more sound impressions, this set is not a basshead set in terms of quantity, but bass is definitely north of neutral with a great punch in the midbass. Midbass is more accented than the subbass, but this set can still extend quite well in subbass extension. Bass quality wise, while there isn't marked midbass bleed, the bass isn't the most textured and can be one noted at time, but that's something I can close one eye considering the rest of the tonality is quite good. Lower mids are midly recessed, not overly so. Upper mids are at the borderline of spiciness for me for some songs, but otherwise, it doesn't really get into very banshee shouty territory (cough cough Moondrop SSR) unless one jacks up the volume a lot (Fletcher Munson curve), or on some poorly recorded materials. Treble is moderately extended, though there's mild instances of sibilance. Microdetails are quite well captured and cymbals ain't splashy or unnatural.

I think due to the tuning, this set can be quite all rounded for most music genres. I'm a budget single DD fanboy and this set is really quite good, it seems to do well in most areas OOTB. Will do more A/B testing this coming week and report back soon!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #27,668 of 31,831
YJust got a Whizzer HE01 IEM.

OOTB, very nice packaging and shell design, I think it is very elegant looking compared to the usual metal shelled IEMs. My wife who is usually anti earphones and was gonna scold me for getting another IEM, came over to check out the damage. Then she went silent for a minute. Her next grudgingly spoken words were along the line that this is not a bad looking set, and that she wouldn't mind having it LOL.

Accessories are rather generous for a budget set - comes with a round metal hard case, silicone eartips (both narrow and wide bore), cleaning tool and a nice braided cable. I find the narrow bore eartips tend to boost bass, the wider bore ones tend to boost the upper mids/treble, YMMV as we have different ear anatomies.

Isolation is above average for a single DD vented set, fit wise, it is very light and comfortable. I liked that the Whizzer HE01 features a 2 pin connector, I've had my fair share of issues with budget CHIFI MMCX which spun like a helicopter after repeated cable changes (cough cough urbanfun, actually it isn't urban nor fun when that happens). Only thing to note though is that the 2 pin connector here is protruding and may not fit all aftermarket cables, so just a point to note.

At a sensitivity of 112dB/mW, the Whizzer HE01 is easy to drive, but like most other single DD types, it scales with amping.

But of course, accessories and looks are secondary to sound. Now on to the sound, OOTB impressions: The Whizzer HE01 is a mild V shaped set, timbral accuracy is good as per its single DD roots. Note weight is about average. Technicalities are very good for a budget single DD, soundstage is definitely above average to good in height, depth and width. Clarity, imaging, instrument separation and details are really quite good considering it is a single DD set. One thing that stands out immediately are the very fast transients. Music never sounded congested. Would have to do some A/B testing against some well regarded single DD budget sets like the BLON BL-05S, HZSound Heart Mirror, iBasso IT00 over the next few days to see who is the technicalities king though.

For more sound impressions, this set is not a basshead set in terms of quantity, but bass is definitely north of neutral with a great punch in the midbass. Midbass is more accented than the subbass, but this set can still extend quite well in subbass extension. Bass quality wise, while there isn't marked midbass bleed, the bass isn't the most textured and can be one noted at time, but that's something I can close one eye considering the rest of the tonality is quite good. Lower mids are midly recessed, not overly so. Upper mids are at the borderline of spiciness for me for some songs, but otherwise, it doesn't really get into very banshee shouty territory (cough cough Moondrop SSR) unless one jacks up the volume a lot (Fletcher Munson curve), or on some poorly recorded materials. Treble is moderately extended, though there's mild instances of sibilance. Microdetails are quite well captured and cymbals ain't splashy or unnatural.

I think due to the tuning, this set can be quite all rounded for most music genres. I'm a budget single DD fanboy and this set is really quite good, it seems to do well in most areas OOTB. Will do more A/B testing this coming week and report back soon!
Your description tallies well with my experience, I recently tested and reviewed the HE01 and the transients and technical qualities stood out for me as well. Soundstage and imaging were also above average. The HE01 holds up well against the Smabat NCO, Tin T4 and KBEAR Diamond which are three of my best single DDs.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #27,669 of 31,831
Just got a Whizzer HE01 IEM.

Your description tallies well with my experience, I recently tested and reviewed the HE01 and the transients and technical qualities stood out for me as well. Soundstage and imaging were also above average. The HE01 holds up well against the Smabat NCO, Tin T4 and KBEAR Diamond which are three of my best single DDs.

I'm with the HE01 since 14/04 and loving it more & more each day. I don't know but I find it's even equal to the Starsea in term of technicalities (resolution, details, notes separation, etc). Tonally, it's sure to be more enjoyable, even the Amazing Bass tuning of the Starsea is no match.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #27,670 of 31,831
I'm with the HE01 since 14/04 and loving it more & more each day. I don't know but I find it's even equal to the Starsea in term of technicalities (resolution, details, notes separation, etc). Tonally, it's sure to be more enjoyable, even the Amazing Bass tuning of the Starsea is no match.
I agree with you about the similarity to the Starsea, especially the soundstage and separation. In my review I mentioned Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 3, the detail retrieval there on the HE01 is really good. HE01 is a good choice for classical music.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #27,671 of 31,831
KZs ZSN/ZAX/DQ6. Folks even like TRN TA1.

If you have an dac-amp/high powered source then SFR DeeeTeee6 Pro is also a good option

DAC AMP is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED will turn your cheapo IEM into a rockstar.
if you like to exercise, get FIIO BTR5 bluetooth DAC/AMP/receiver, you can clip it to your shirt and go with it.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #27,672 of 31,831
Hello headfiers.

I would suggest to get KBear KS1, very good out of the box. You don't need to replace cable or eartips, it's just perfect for $20 IEM, sounded better than some $50 and $100 IEMs. Also if you use higher powered source, the resolution is amazing for $20 IEM.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #27,673 of 31,831
No, but I don't want to be redundant and buy more IEMs that will stay in the drawer not used as in time I tend to select my fav and do with it and the others will keep dust afraid....Are you telling that EDX are better than DQ6?

I really like DQ6 and maybe I will buy IEMs that have exactly the signature of them without these treble peaks I mention audible only in some songs (don't know what Hz is it)...What about TRN TA1 I heard they have a dip in the treble signature maybe it will work for that reason?

Try KS1 from KBear, sounds even better than DQ6 after burn in, just IMO.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #27,674 of 31,831
Just received KBEar KS1, having time with KS1 with BTR5, and will do a quick turn around for sub$30 segments beasts DQ6/Lark/KS1/EDX/CSN.CE651B92-D1E0-4340-8D16-0B8A031379C3.jpeg6B0E657B-529C-4CCB-9D49-24C30E0333D7.jpeg0A39EF63-E152-4C55-9668-BA35D0FFD9B6.jpeg
awaiting for your impressions...

I want to post KS1 impression here comparing with other IEMs, but I already started working, not enough time to have in depth review and comparison...

But KS1 seems like a giant killer to me.

Apr 25, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #27,675 of 31,831
DAC AMP is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED will turn your cheapo IEM into a rockstar.
if you like to exercise, get FIIO BTR5 bluetooth DAC/AMP/receiver, you can clip it to your shirt and go with it.
Well I do have a couple of amps including BTR5. I think it all depends on user's preference whether they need an amp or not, but I agree most IEM scale beautifully with amp with exception to some low impedance and BA/BA hybrids with high sensitivity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back