CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 24, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #27,016 of 31,809
How important is timbre to you? The TRN BA5 sounds like what you're looking for, but their timbre is a bit mechanic.. Tonality wise they're neutral and dry, with bass that's probably too tight and fast. It's an all-BA unit.

I just ordered the TRN BA5. I was looking for a more neutrally tuned IEM and it was between this or the Moondrop SSR. Decided to go with the all-BA unit as I’ve never tried one before. Hope it doesn’t disappoint!

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #27,017 of 31,809
Looks good but a gamble. Wonder why one is a pound more than the others?

£15 looks cheap enough for a gamble.

EDIT: Ordered and arriving Monday.
Impressions ASAP please!

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #27,018 of 31,809
I really don't want to spend hours modding. I was hoping for a recommendation on a similar sounding IEM with detachable cable.

I've tried Vsonic GR07s, Shure SE215's, Hifiman RE 400s, Etymotic HF3, KZ ZS10 Pro, Sennheiser CX 300 and a handful of others i can't remember off the top of my head.

I mainly listen to metal/rock and they sound so musical and fun without being fatiguing while still having a little spark in the treble to keep me interested for long listening sessions. Also, I like bass but I can't stand bass bloating. The Duozas are punchy, tight and fast in bass. My KZ ZS10 Pros have an insane amount of sub bass compared to them which I don't find enjoyable for the music I listen to. It feels like "droning" in my ears after a while. I don't know how else to describe them.

They just sound very balanced to me, nothing overpowers anything else but they are not overly analytical or boring.
KZ BA10 should suit you. Great timbre for an all BA set and nicely balanced.

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #27,019 of 31,809
I just ordered the TRN BA5. I was looking for a more neutrally tuned IEM and it was between this or the Moondrop SSR. Decided to go with the all-BA unit as I’ve never tried one before. Hope it doesn’t disappoint!

If the timbre doesn't work for you and you prefer DD, then the original Tin T2 is pretty neutral and still very likeable. The T2 Plus is a bit bassier, it's great but I personally prefer the BLON BL05S which has a hefty, weighty presentation but doesn't have stupid levels of sub bass.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #27,020 of 31,809
I wish I had time to dig through all 1800 pages here, but I don't. I learned a long time ago that the knowledge base hear is amazing. I hope you all can help me find something decent out of the box, unmodded that has a mic (gasp) Working remotely has my using my computer for music, calls, and meetings. I am tired of having to switch between customs for music and cheapies with a mic for calls. I just need something that I won't hate. Neutral to warm sound with true, tight bass (not overdone or boomy)forward vocals, and highs that are not fatiguing. Yes, I want a unicorn, for under $100! I know nothing is perfect, but I am hopeful you all can steer me in the right direction. Amazon reviews are useless :) THANKS!

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #27,021 of 31,809
I wish I had time to dig through all 1800 pages here, but I don't. I learned a long time ago that the knowledge base hear is amazing. I hope you all can help me find something decent out of the box, unmodded that has a mic (gasp) Working remotely has my using my computer for music, calls, and meetings. I am tired of having to switch between customs for music and cheapies with a mic for calls. I just need something that I won't hate. Neutral to warm sound with true, tight bass (not overdone or boomy)forward vocals, and highs that are not fatiguing. Yes, I want a unicorn, for under $100! I know nothing is perfect, but I am hopeful you all can steer me in the right direction. Amazon reviews are useless :) THANKS!

Which cheapies with a mic are you currently using?

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #27,022 of 31,809

Ibasso IT00 with an aftermarket cable with mic will fit into your budget and requirements perfectly. I have demoed them and totally agree with the community's general consensus. You'd still have a good $10-15 to spare that. Hope that helps.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #27,023 of 31,809

Does your computer have the traditional, separate 3.5mm Stereo Earphone and Mic Jacks?
If so, you'll need a "Y-type" adapter cable, to connect (Mic/Audio Control*) earphone cables that are made to plug into a phone (*and the Audio Controls may not work with the PC).
Another option is to get a USB type of adapter (like this SoundBlaster - https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-70SB173000000-Sound-Blaster/dp/B06XBZ38ZJ/ )

Using a LunaShops LN004900 - 4-ft cable w/Mic & Remote Volume (3.5mm TRRS Plug -to- MMCX), would allow you to pick any earphones or earbuds that have MMCX connectors.

Jan 24, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #27,024 of 31,809
The BA5 has a "safer" tonality IMO. I love the SSR but I wouldn't be comfortable recommending it to someone without knowing their tastes. A lot of people complain they're shouty, though I don't get that myself.

Why not just change the cable to one that has a mic? If you're using customs the cable should be interchangeable I reckon?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #27,026 of 31,809
Does your computer have the traditional, separate 3.5mm Stereo Earphone and Mic Jacks?
If so, you'll need a "Y-type" adapter cable, to connect (Mic/Audio Control*) earphone cables that are made to plug into a phone (*and the Audio Controls may not work with the PC).
Another option is to get a USB type of adapter (like this SoundBlaster - https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-70SB173000000-Sound-Blaster/dp/B06XBZ38ZJ/ )

Using a LunaShops LN004900 - 4-ft cable w/Mic & Remote Volume (3.5mm TRRS Plug -to- MMCX), would allow you to pick any earphones or earbuds that have MMCX connectors.
Using a laptop so that is not an issue, it has the combo jack.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #27,027 of 31,809
Why not just change the cable to one that has a mic? If you're using customs the cable should be interchangeable I reckon?
My customs are 10+ year old Freq's that do not have removable cables. Additionally, I have to pop them in and out a lot while working and that is just not as easy with the custom fits.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #27,030 of 31,809
Well, I tried a pair of cx300's. They were awful, I returned them. Vocals were reassessed and muddy, no sound stage, and the bass was overdone.
Just got some mh750's and I am blown away. for $15 theses things are killer. Vocals are present and not too forward, highs are crisp and clean, bass is good and natural. Only complaint would be the mid bass is a little muddy and mixes with the low vocals. Hopping some burn in wil help this. But damn, for $15 I feel ripped off with what I have paid for others!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back