CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 14, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #22,756 of 31,831
well...now other NBBA member begin to praise the QKZ VK4.

''Mahir Efe Falay Hard to resist the hype of VK4. But you know the saying "sad but true"

ready?

...Its so sad to be hearing such good audio performance on a 10 bucks iem..So welcome to the micro review of a new iem Vk4:

Oldfield's Tubular Bells and Rush 2112 can give you many impressions about the earphone. Layering, decays, extensions, dynamics, soundstage and instrument seperation etc.

Sub bass is present but not in a Simgot en700 pro level. You can distinguish seconds of sub bass from others.
Presentation is bodied and only a notch warm yet with the full but not disturbing trebles. Mids are not crushed down under basses, especially vocals are easily heard. And treble is never piercing. Sharp when needed.

The only downside I noticed is about dynamics. Its hard to tell with my limited English but instruments dont have a high sense of depth. You can tell this in a bass drop moment or in a contrabass solo.

This is my instant recommendation for sub 100$ level. Unless you are not looking for a balanced or neutral iem under 100 you might enjoy this.

A clear NOBS ❤''

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #22,757 of 31,831
I think after reading through the list I'm even more confused about where I should go. I'm looking in the $25-75 range.

Sound preference is clarity, detail, separation above all.
Prefer speed in the low end. Don't hate a small midbass kick (normie).
Don't really like OVERLY dark and/or warm as that CAN conflict with my main preferences.
Mids clean and not overly recessed, present. Hate when the lower end of voices (male or female) sound thin.
Highs I like "glassy" (I use this word, I know nobody else does). I like cymbals to have detail and clarity. If anyone here plays the drums, I like to be able distinguish the tones of different types and sizes of cymbals (and snares) and their decay. I feel like not many speakers (or recordings for that matter) do this well.
Don't like a small soundstage. I feel it can go both ways with detail and separation. Too big and airy I feel can be non realistic outside of orchestral recordings and lose small detail. Too small gets congested in complex parts. Congestion bothers me greatly.

I know my budget probably will not hit all of these well but thought I'd ask. Reading recent-ish reviews seems like the blon bl03, tin t2, and kz zsx are the hype but none of them sound extremely fitting to my preference. Any help?

Is the **** **** though cheaper more fitting than those?? So many options haha

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #22,758 of 31,831
From what I know, Jade Audio representative told me that EA3 was based on Fiio FH1 but retune with more extension to both ends, and they want to market them cheaper than FH1. So they came out by Jade Audio name to keep Fiio iems on another class. So the FH1s should be better version of FH1, and most likely the EA3 themselves to complete the Fiio lines but maybe pricing is different. I bet they are sound similar. Btw my EA3 hasn't arrived until now, maybe in few days.
Yours haven't arrived too? I thought yours going to arrive earlier than mine :0

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #22,759 of 31,831
well...now other NBBA member begin to praise the QKZ VK4.

''Mahir Efe Falay Hard to resist the hype of VK4. But you know the saying "sad but true"

ready?

...Its so sad to be hearing such good audio performance on a 10 bucks iem..So welcome to the micro review of a new iem Vk4:

Oldfield's Tubular Bells and Rush 2112 can give you many impressions about the earphone. Layering, decays, extensions, dynamics, soundstage and instrument seperation etc.

Sub bass is present but not in a Simgot en700 pro level. You can distinguish seconds of sub bass from others.
Presentation is bodied and only a notch warm yet with the full but not disturbing trebles. Mids are not crushed down under basses, especially vocals are easily heard. And treble is never piercing. Sharp when needed.

The only downside I noticed is about dynamics. Its hard to tell with my limited English but instruments dont have a high sense of depth. You can tell this in a bass drop moment or in a contrabass solo.

This is my instant recommendation for sub 100$ level. Unless you are not looking for a balanced or neutral iem under 100 you might enjoy this.

A clear NOBS ❤''

I have the VK4 as well. They in my opinion are the best I have heard in the budget range and beat the Sony MH755 easily. They are a great all-rounder.

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #22,760 of 31,831
I think after reading through the list I'm even more confused about where I should go. I'm looking in the $25-75 range.

Don't really like OVERLY dark and/or warm as that CAN conflict with my main preferences.
Mids clean and not overly recessed, present. Hate when the lower end of voices (male or female) sound thin.
Highs I like "glassy" (I use this word, I know nobody else does). I like cymbals to have detail and clarity. If anyone here plays the drums, I like to be able distinguish the tones of different types and sizes of cymbals (and snares) and their decay. I feel like not many speakers (or recordings for that matter) do this well.
Don't like a small soundstage. I feel it can go both ways with detail and separation. Too big and airy I feel can be non realistic outside of orchestral recordings and lose small detail. Too small gets congested in complex parts. Congestion bothers me greatly.

I know my budget probably will not hit all of these well but thought I'd ask. Reading recent-ish reviews seems like the blon bl03, tin t2, and kz zsx are the hype but none of them sound extremely fitting to my preference. Any help?

Tin T2 probably isn't a bad shout for you actually. It's quite neutrally tuned and the bass is fast over loud. It doesn't go as deep as the Blon but it's not especially bass light.
Failing that, FAAEL Hibiscus maybe? I'll be honest I don't have enough time in it to really recommend it but based on what I've heard it could suit you. NiceHCK N3 is another that doesn't get huge amounts of love but might suit your needs. It's absolutely fantastic with Punk Rock, the bass is lightning fast and deep enough.

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #22,761 of 31,831
Jan 14, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #22,762 of 31,831

LZ A6 Mini pretty much ticks all those boxes. Some are complaining of male vocals being recessed, but Its only just very very slight IMO. Female vocals are ridiculously good with them though. Great IEM. Has different filters for different tuning options but black filter is my go too. Its a $180 IEM on sale for $75 so could be worth a look into reading more about them.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #22,763 of 31,831
Vk4 are good, but after covering back vent hole, and adding one layer of paper(from teabag) on nozzle. Before that they are bit bloated and dirty

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #22,764 of 31,831
Piezo drivers are good for LRAD to riot suppression, not for earphones...

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #22,766 of 31,831

Reading your list of preferences I would suggest the TRN BA5. It has the clarity, detail and separation you're looking for and is fast in the bass. It's particularly good with drums and cymbals, very life-like. Get yourself a Faaeal Hibiscus cable and you're good to go!

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #22,767 of 31,831
I have the VK4 as well. They in my opinion are the best I have heard in the budget range and beat the Sony MH755 easily. They are a great all-rounder.
Hhhmmmm... interesting. Are You sure they just aren`t KZ ZST re-branded clones?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #22,768 of 31,831
Reading your list of preferences I would suggest the TRN BA5. It has the clarity, detail and separation you're looking for and is fast in the bass. It's particularly good with drums and cymbals, very life-like. Get yourself a Faaeal Hibiscus cable and you're good to go!

Agree with @Nimweth trn BA5 will suits your preference and budget, be warned though about light sub bass oomph, but everything else seems like the one you are after. If BA5 too pricey. You can go with **** pro but technicalities still below BA5

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #22,770 of 31,831

Users who are viewing this thread

Back