CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 3, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #28,546 of 31,831
I heard TRN was started by ex-ATH & ex-KZ engineer, the tuning of TRN sometime reminds me of ATH sometime, to me TRN was a mix of KZ V + ATH Japanese V, may not sound very good to most of audience but they matches to some J-POPs.
might explain the two face of TRN, sometimes it have the more gentle Japanese V and sometimes it went to 11 on sharpass KZ V.
But its been awhile since the last great TRN, KopiOkaya's TRN V90, TRN BA5, and the last one being TRN TA1 which all is tuning moving away from KZ sharp.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #28,547 of 31,831
might explain the two face of TRN, sometimes it have the more gentle Japanese V and sometimes it went to 11 on sharpass KZ V.
But its been awhile since the last great TRN, KopiOkaya's TRN V90, TRN BA5, and the last one being TRN TA1 which all is tuning moving away from KZ sharp.
They are releasing new 7BA(TRN X7) and I hope it’s a Audio Technica style🤔
The shell looks nice.
5B49E464-EB40-45D4-8228-D19310D85639.jpeg

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #28,549 of 31,831
Hey all…you probably saw this posted elsewhere but jeez there are multiple threads where it seems relevant for me to post…

Full Aria Review with Sound Demos and Comparisons

Great job!! Recording signature😍

Just tried Aria’s recording vs Xenns UP recording, wow seeing is believing, hearing actual sound reproduction is so convincing on HQ recording equipment.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #28,550 of 31,831
Hey all…you probably saw this posted elsewhere but jeez there are multiple threads where it seems relevant for me to post…

Full Aria Review with Sound Demos and Comparisons

By the way the sound I heard from that Aria is stock tuning, it can open up alot by trying removing the iron hex filter and replace that stock cable to something else.

I suggest to Moondrop and they admitted the new iron filter was a bad idea, it was to fit to harman curve but it looses huge quality in timbre as you can hear from the recording. The sound is congested.

Just use a nail 🧷 to stick out the outer layer, and you will get true potentials of Aria, it’s an A- class IEM as a single DD as opposed stocked B- class.

Also Aria comes with 3 pairs of spare filters,
So feel free to attach and remove.
1E4D7DE5-BE93-4EDF-8DE3-2A661170835B.jpeg
69D8EE96-D6D5-45D7-8694-EADCBC01EE56.jpeg

D96B6227-BF6B-4703-B09C-13681B6AB25A.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #28,551 of 31,831
By the way the sound I heard from that Aria is stock tuning, it can open up alot by trying removing the iron hex filter and replace that stock cable to something else.

I suggest to Moondrop and they admitted the new iron filter was a bad idea, it was to fit to harman curve but it looses huge quality in timbre as you can hear from the recording. The sound is congested.

Just use a nail 🧷 to stick out the outer layer, and you will get true potentials of Aria, it’s an A- class IEM as a single DD as opposed stocked B- class.

Also Aria comes with 3 pairs of spare filters,
So feel free to attach and remove.

Oh! Well that’s all very interesting.

Now I have to do that! Thanks for sharing that! :)

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #28,552 of 31,831
"Famous" TRN X6 are also tuned by the same "tuner", and the same person who made Andy to close his amazing DAC thread here out of the ego issues :frowning2: Highly regrettable!

My limited experience with TRN is that given that their quality control seem not existent, I buy them only for spare parts.

I just got a pair of MT1 today - nice deal for under $10 Can ($8 US), really nice nozzles (the mesh looks bezeled) and connectors, and perhaps a useful shell. Not sure about the DD, cable and tips.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #28,553 of 31,831
"Famous" TRN X6 are also tuned by the same "tuner", and the same person who made Andy to close his amazing DAC thread here out of the ego issues :frowning2: Highly regrettable!

My limited experience with TRN is that given that their quality control seem not existent, I buy them only for spare parts.

I just got a pair of MT1 today - nice deal for under $10 Can ($8 US), really nice nozzles (the mesh looks bezeled) and connectors, and perhaps a useful shell. Not sure about the DD, cable and tips.
You can find his list here: https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #28,554 of 31,831

I tried tip and cable rolling on my 2 sets of MT1, but it is quite limited due to base tuning and driver performance. It seems to work best with my Limpid 8 cable and Radius Deep Mount tips. They cannot be inserted too deeply into my ear canal though- it is one of the rare cases where a light break in the seal (maybe vent like the GK10?) actually helps to reduce bass bloat

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #28,556 of 31,831
But compared with the Aria, I really did not want to listen to them. They are unable to reproduce the same level of treble/detail without sounding harsh, and vocals sound thin. Bass isn't as extended, tight and well controlled too. Still, for $8 I would say they aren't bad, but when stock sound has clear issues and nearly any cable/tip upgrade would be more than a 100% increase to its price with limited audible *improvement, it is something to keep in perspective

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #28,558 of 31,831
That is my bookmark now.
I may not agree with everything (with my mini "dongle madness", I am rather dumbfounded, dazed and confused,
and you are right about amps!), but it is great to see this perspective, and sad that the HeadFi is not the right place with those reviewers pushing $1000+ cables out of their "experience"...

I tried tip and cable rolling on my 2 sets of MT1, but it is quite limited due to base tuning and driver performance. It seems to work best with my Limpid 8 cable and Radius Deep Mount tips. They cannot be inserted too deeply into my ear canal though- it is one of the rare cases where a light break in the seal (maybe vent like the GK10?) actually helps to reduce bass bloat
Really good points!
No motivation to try them. CS1 and ST2 were unlistenable, and single DDs are not my tea.

M10 and STM so far temporarily escaped the parts bin.
STM surprised me, I Iike it more than the Lark (just brief inpressions, no direct conparison), the large BA in the nozzle feels weird, but it kinda works.
But compared with the Aria, I really did not want to listen to them. They are unable to reproduce the same level of treble/detail without sounding harsh, and vocals sound thin. Bass isn't as extended, tight and well controlled too. Still, for $8 I would say they aren't bad, but when stock sound has clear issues and nearly any cable/tip upgrade would be more than a 100% increase to its price with limited audible *improvement, it is something to keep in perspective

All my limited experience with "cable differences" point to source limitations.

Again, different DACs really dumbfounded me, cables are just conductors, and if their resistance is low - they should not be a factor for the sound, just to get the best of comfort and aesthetics.

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #28,559 of 31,831
That is my bookmark now.
I may not agree with everything (with my mini "dongle madness", I am rather dumbfounded, dazed and confused,
and you are right about amps!), but it is great to see this perspective, and sad that the HeadFi is not the right place with those reviewers pushing $1000+ cables out of their "experience"...

Really good points!
No motivation to try them. CS1 and ST2 were unlistenable, and single DDs are not my tea.

M10 and STM so far temporarily escaped the parts bin.
STM surprised me, I Iike it more than the Lark (just brief inpressions, no direct conparison), the large BA in the nozzle feels weird, but it kinda works.

All my limited experience with "cable differences" point to source limitations.

Again, different DACs really dumbfounded me, cables are just conductors, and if their resistance is low - they should not be a factor for the sound, just to get the best of comfort and aesthetics.
You can also find the original head-fi thread here:
https://web.archive.org/web/2021061...ted-and-ranked-subjective-impressions.958216/

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #28,560 of 31,831

Users who are viewing this thread

Back