best budget soundcard?
Mar 25, 2006 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

muttyhc

New Head-Fier
currently I have an audigy 2, I've had it for quite a few years now so think it's time to upgrade, however I don't have alot of cash so can't afford really more than £50 for the soundcard.

I generally play lots of games, fps/rts etc. and also listen to alot of music, I occasionally watch a movie but not often so it isn't a priority.

My current headphones are senn hd555's, also in gaming I use a microphone for comms.

Help
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 11
I'd like to know this too, most people suggest the Chaintech AV-710 but it's not (as far as I'm aware) readily available here in the UK.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 11
I think generally it's the Chaintech AV-710 if you don't need/want a built-in amp, and the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 if you do.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by muttyhc
is the amp on the m-audio 5.1 rev strong enough to power the akg 240 studios and alike properly?

That usually is less of a problem than undersized coupling caps, limited output current and such, i.e. if in doubt I'd try to use a medium to high impedance headphone (100+ ohms). An Aureon Sky/Space / ProDigy 7.1 will drive even historic 600 ohm cans to ear-splitting levels (Senns, at least - haven't tried any AKGs).

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 11
I don't know about its availability in the UK, but I've had good results from the M-Audio DiO 2448. The card is discontinued, and I got a used one for $25 USD, or around 14 Pounds. I thought it was a pretty good deal. I found it on eBay.

The DiO 2448 has both optical out and SPDIF. I've been very happy with it.

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 11
re: DIO 2448

Not a bad card, just watch OS/driver compatibility.
I don't believe there are drivers for this card beyond Win2K.
Unless you download OEM type drivers for the chipset on it.
And even then I think you lose out on some of the functionality.

Better if you are in the market for a used M-Audio to perhaps step up to:
M-Audio Delta DIO 2496

This one has XP drivers, is part of the newer "Delta" family (and I think might even work under Mac OS X), plus higher sampling rates and all that.

cheers

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 11
The audigy2 is by far better for games than the m-audio or chaintech card. Instead of a new sound card, might I suggest an entry level amp, such as the PA2V2? My X-fi paired with a PA2V2 is really good.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 11
Of course one could also keep the A2 for games and use the new one for music exclusively... Those old pre-X-Fi cards really aren't too good-sounding. (Dunno about the current incarnations, SB0610 and such.)

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by muttyhc
is the amp on the m-audio 5.1 rev strong enough to power the akg 240 studios and alike properly?

I can't speak from experience with respect to the card itself (never owned it), but the K240S was fairly easy to drive back when I owned it, so I'd assume the Revo 5.1 could do the job reasonably well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back