Best Budget IEM (Under $300)
Mar 30, 2019 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

DankAudio

New Head-Fier
A bit about the type of music I listen to:
-Mostly EDM and bass heavy music
-I prefer a more vibrant open soundstage
-All my music files are either flac or dsd and are >1000kbps

The IEM should preferably be within my budget (<$300)
The IEM's should also be durable, built well and comfortable
Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 27
Do you have any experience with IEMs, or any points of reference? Like, what IEMs you had before, and what you did and did not like about them?

If you don't have anything useful, I'd suggest starting with something cheaper with a dynamic driver (for the bass). Let's say, Massdrop Noble Luxe for $90, but there are more options still. You can use them for a month or two, and if you are not happy (we, audiophiles, never are :) ), you can seek particular improvements. Having some relevant experience would greatly reduce the number of options - honestly, there are just too many for your description. You save $210 for a future upgrade, and you could probably save something over the few months.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 27
Moondrop Kanas Pro is amazing with electronic music, i love old DNB (Paradox) and the Kanas is my main earphone for that, i use also Final E5000, more bass heavy and darker sound

Apr 1, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 27
Moondrop Kanas Pro is amazing with electronic music, i love old DNB (Paradox) and the Kanas is my main earphone for that, i use also Final E5000, more bass heavy and darker sound
Wow if you think the E5000’s are dark the Kansas would be very bright then. Thanks for that.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 27
Do you have any experience with IEMs, or any points of reference? Like, what IEMs you had before, and what you did and did not like about them?

If you don't have anything useful, I'd suggest starting with something cheaper with a dynamic driver (for the bass). Let's say, Massdrop Noble Luxe for $90, but there are more options still. You can use them for a month or two, and if you are not happy (we, audiophiles, never are :) ), you can seek particular improvements. Having some relevant experience would greatly reduce the number of options - honestly, there are just too many for your description. You save $210 for a future upgrade, and you could probably save something over the few months.
My first IEM's were the v-moda zn and they were decent however this was several years ago and i recently started to look for an upgrade
I also have the Bose QC30's but they are hardly in the audiophile territory
The Massdrop Noble Luxe seems like a good option but i would prefer to find a more premium IEM
Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 27
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 27
Reviving an older thread instead of starting a new one. Did you ever find a pair of IEMs under $300? I’m in the same boat as you. Nowhere around me has any for me to try. I’m interested in the Tanchjim Oxygen as they are ranked decently on crinacle’s list. Ibasso seem to be recommended as well and they are a lot cheaper. Are those two iems apples and oranges? 11.11 sale is coming up and I’m not opposed to ordering from AE or from big name brands

At the moment I have a pair of Shure se215s. And in future looking to pair new iem with a shanling m2x.

Nov 7, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 27
There's a new contender in that price range, the Drop JVC FDX1.
SQ should be nearly identical to a modded JVC FD02 with the big advantage of having 3 different nozzles with different tuning to switch, and no need to modify the IEM yourself.

I have been using the modded FD02 next to my EX800ST and the Astell & Kern T8iE MKII for several months and I love it.
The $1200 T8iE is doing some things better but the JVC is really so clean and smooth, a good step up from the Moondrop KPE.

With A- Crinacle ranks the FDX1 one level above the Oxygen at B+.

I ordered the FDX1 despite already enjoying the FD02 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back