best budget home amp for hd600
Sep 14, 2002 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Aboogwa

New Head-Fier
I've tried the search function but even if I search "Best budget home amp for hd600" or some synonymous phrase a lot of somewhat unrelated results come up. Even so I have accumulated bits and pieces of information about the topic. Unfortunately sometimes this information is vague and sometimes contradictory (different people with different opinions)

So this is my effort to dig up some more information

Basically what is the best $300-ish or under Solid State amp for the hd600?

Maybe something like the Headroom little or Creek OBH-11SE?

Which one of these two do you think sounds better?

I really wanted to buy a Corda HA-1 but it seems too much of a hassle to order it all the way from Germany and it seems like it will be difficult to return it if I don't like it... is there another more reliable and convenient source for these amps?

Maybe a META42 but the ordering/payment process seems complicated and slow, and again it seems like returns will be difficult

And to compound the problem I really don't have the much experience selling stuff informally over the net.

The source is going to be a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card or maybe an old kenwood 5-disc changer.

The types of music I listen to are classical/pop/rock and less frequently rap/hip-hop

Sep 14, 2002 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 16
Also how bad is the tube maintenance/warm up issue?

Is it practical to have a tube amp on 24/7 ?

How fast do the tubes "burn out" so that they need to be replaced?

How bad does the amp sound right after power on and how drastic is the change in quality after a certain time?

If these issues are not too big of a problem maybe I will consider something like the MG Head

(What's the difference between OTL and DT)?

Sep 14, 2002 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 16
Well Headroom has a 30 day return policy. That might come in handy. Also, would you consider any second hand amplifiers?

Sep 14, 2002 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
Well Headroom has a 30 day return policy. That might come in handy. Also, would you consider any second hand amplifiers?

Yeah, are there any other reliable dealers with a good amp selection other than headroom?

Wouldn't I run into the same types of problems buying second-hand as I would if I were trying to buy a Corda HA-1 or a META42?

Why, is there a particularly good deal available?

Sep 14, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Maybe a META42 but the ordering/payment process seems complicated and slow, and again it seems like returns will be difficult

The individuals that build amps for others do this as a hobby and for the enjoyment of the build process. Certainly there is a fee involved for the time spent, but it comes down to the satisfaction that we get of the process. That said, I feel confident in saying that any of the builders on this forum would be more than happy to tweak and/or repair a DBSE (Done By Somebody Else) amp built for you within any reasonable timeframe.

The ordering process seems "complicated and slow" because we ask a lot of questions to ensure that we are meeting your needs to the best of our ability. We also encourage you to ask a lot of questions. I will typically exchange 5 - 10 e-mails or PMs with someone before we come down to a final configuration. Sometimes parts have to be ordered, and then the amp is built.....by hand.....in our spare time. I am not saying that a DBSE amp is the route to go for you, however I did want to somewhat set your mind at ease.

I hope this helps.

Sep 14, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 16
I would suggest that you still consider the Corda HA-1. It is the best value in its price bracket. It is not hard to buy from Dr. Meier, and delivery is usually takes 10-12 days. Of course it would take longer to have one warranted, but I haven't (yet) heard of one needing to be returned under warranty. I personally liked this amp much better than the Little. And the HA-1 can later be upgraded to even better sound with KurtW's mods.

Of course, if you want a tube amp's sound, which generally means no crossfeed as well, then the HA-1 is not for you.

Just go for the amp that should give the sound you want, and disregard any hassles involved in getting it. Those will be over with in a few days, and you will probably have the amp for years.

Sep 14, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 16
The thing is I've always heard horror stories of UPS/Fed Ex accidentally "destroying" packages during shipping. I have had one scary experience myself, I ordered something and the box was crushed, luckily the contents seemed OK..

What would I do if for some reason the Corda HA-1 got damaged during (international... or do they have a US warehouse or something?) shipping? Is it possible to exchange it for a new one from Meier Audio?

Also is it possible to return it for a refund if I am not satisfied with it?

If I did have to exchange/return it, how long would the ordeal take and how high would the shipping charges be?

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 16
I have personally used both the headroom little and the mg head amps and for the money both are worth it. Both amps match up well with the hd600's in my opinion. However if you are going to spend the money on the little I would get the upgraded power supply right away. After I received my mg head I noticed how much more punch it had over the little. But that is going to cost you more $$$!!! If I were you I would try to audition some amps before spending the cash just to make sure you are making the right decision.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 16
Meier is great, I got my 600's from him new, but everything else headphone wise I've got is used from this forum.
I sugest you read some of the old For Sale posts and learn what things have sold for used. Once you decide what you want and the going price for it make an offer. Oh and check the persons feedback too. A lot of the folks here buy and then sell stuff often. You can do the same thing. If the amp for your 600's is not to your liking you can sell it for the same price you got it for. Shipping is your only cost in most cases.
META42 is fantastic IMO, see the Mall for makers/sellers.
Jan Meier has good products also.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 16
I, too, would go with the Corda HA-1 for the Senn 600s. It's an enormous improvement over the Little. Build quality is excellent, and I would recommend Dr. Meier as a trustworthy individual who provides excellent customer service and a great product.

So, too, would I recommend the DIY amps. I've received three from JMT, and as with Dr. Meier, JMT is a great guy who has a deep respect for superior customer service (and who builds high-quality amps that sound great, BTW). He will work with you to get you what you need.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 16
My suggestion is:

Save your bucks....

I bought the Creek OBH-11 and the power pack .....loved it with senns and RS-2s.....and etys

I bought an MG-Head OTL, loved it with the senns and etys.....then spent $300+ in tubes(even better)

I bought a TAH...sounds great with the senns, etys and RS-2s.....

my only regret is that i sould have saved up and bought a really really great amp from the start.....it might not seem worth it at first, but once you're hooked you'll wish you'd saved and spent more!
rolleyes.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 16
Here's another recommendation for the Corda. For the price, it's a hard amp to beat. I loved the stock Corda, but after doing some of Kurt's mods, it's jumped to whole new level.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 16
Man, is it just me or is JMT one of the coolest individuals on the internet?

Anyway, I agree with all of the META42 and Corda recommendations. The Creek sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back