CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 23, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #30,301 of 31,831
Hello,
I bought a FiiO btr5 which goes well with my wired momentum. I am delighted with the evolution compared to the direct connection to the gsm or the computer.
Now I would like to acquire an intra for traveling that would be ok with my FiiO to listen to classical (mainly instrumental piano and guitar), rock and pop. And with decent passive isolation.
Would you have any models to recommend to me for a maximum budget of 400€ ( but cheaper is good too 😉). Because I don't know anything about it.
Thanks
Not sure what you mean by an intra. Are you after an IEM (in ear monitor)? Classical and instrumental would sound best on a neutrally tuned IEM. Pop and Rock you would be better with a "U" or "V" shaped signature. For $400 you could easily buy one of each. There is a insanely large number of options to choose from.

My suggestions would be:

ECCI YST-02 for a balanced signature with good details, that will sound good for vocals, instrumentals and classical at $75 (or TRI Starsea at $129)
Tipsy TTROMSO for a warm and engaging "V" shaped signature that will suit rock and some pop for $89 (or Audiosense AQ4 at $179)
None of these have harsh treble, if you want suggestions for IEMs with more prominent treble, you'll have to ask someone else.

You could also consider a planar within your budget, there are good options from $99 to $240. I'd limit planar choice to: TinHifi P1 Max, Letshoer S12, 7Hz Dioko, 7Hz Timeless or Raptgo Hooke X. It depends on what type of tuning you prefer (and how much you want to spend).

Watch youtube reviews and search for reviews on Hifi forums (here is good). It's far better to be warned that an IEM isn't what you want, rather than buying it and being disappointed. Just be aware that everyone's tastes are different.

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #30,302 of 31,831
Not sure what you mean by an intra. Are you after an IEM (in ear monitor)? Classical and instrumental would sound best on a neutrally tuned IEM. Pop and Rock you would be better with a "U" or "V" shaped signature. For $400 you could easily buy one of each. There is a insanely large number of options to choose from.

My suggestions would be:

ECCI YST-02 for a balanced signature with good details, that will sound good for vocals, instrumentals and classical at $75 (or TRI Starsea at $129)
Tipsy TTROMSO for a warm and engaging "V" shaped signature that will suit rock and some pop for $89 (or Audiosense AQ4 at $179)
None of these have harsh treble, if you want suggestions for IEMs with more prominent treble, you'll have to ask someone else.

You could also consider a planar within your budget, there are good options from $99 to $240. I'd limit planar choice to: TinHifi P1 Max, Letshoer S12, 7Hz Dioko, 7Hz Timeless or Raptgo Hooke X. It depends on what type of tuning you prefer (and how much you want to spend).

Watch youtube reviews and search for reviews on Hifi forums (here is good). It's far better to be warned that an IEM isn't what you want, rather than buying it and being disappointed. Just be aware that everyone's tastes are different.
Thank you Carpet for your feedback. I will read the tests about these IEMs. But I'm wondering if I'm actually going to spend my time switching headphones depending on what music I'm listening to when I'm on the move? I think I would prefer a slightly more versatile single earbud. But maybe that's a bad idea? Or, I seem to have read that some headphones have filters to change the tone? Is it a good solution?
I do not know planar IEMs. Are they more versatile?
Thanks

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #30,303 of 31,831
Thank you Carpet for your feedback. I will read the tests about these IEMs. But I'm wondering if I'm actually going to spend my time switching headphones depending on what music I'm listening to when I'm on the move? I think I would prefer a slightly more versatile single earbud. But maybe that's a bad idea? Or, I seem to have read that some headphones have filters to change the tone? Is it a good solution?
I do not know planar IEMs. Are they more versatile?
Thanks
Planar IEMs use a slightly different arrangement to a dynamic driver. There is a flat diaphragm with a flat coil on it's surface between two sets of magnets. This gives a much faster response than a cone or dome diaphragm attached to a centrally mounted coil. End result is, they are more accurate and handle complex music better. They also tend to require a bit more power to drive, although the newer ones are improving. Your BTR5 would handle them easily, you also have the option of using the balanced output for more power if you need it. Like all IEMs they are a mixed bunch, biggest difference will be in tuning, they all have great soundstage, imaging and details. As always, the devil is in the details, as to which ones people prefer.

Jul 24, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #30,304 of 31,831
Planar IEMs use a slightly different arrangement to a dynamic driver. There is a flat diaphragm with a flat coil on it's surface between two sets of magnets. This gives a much faster response than a cone or dome diaphragm attached to a centrally mounted coil. End result is, they are more accurate and handle complex music better. They also tend to require a bit more power to drive, although the newer ones are improving. Your BTR5 would handle them easily, you also have the option of using the balanced output for more power if you need it. Like all IEMs they are a mixed bunch, biggest difference will be in tuning, they all have great soundstage, imaging and details. As always, the devil is in the details, as to which ones people prefer.
Thank you very much. It's very clear now 👍

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #30,306 of 31,831
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7DS1QHZ/

I find Harman somewhat bright for my taste.

But I hate that Crinacle verified 180Hz crossover is a major selling point. Wish I could take actually functioning crossovers for granted. But no we usually have to take a gamble instead.
A lot of people have problems with peaks around 5kHz. I much prefer a slight scoop at 4 to 6kHz, over a peak that makes the IEM fatiguing to listen to. Much the same with large and abrupt pina gain, just don't!

After the KZ episode, I suspect reviewers are going over collaborations with a fine tooth comb before release.

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #30,307 of 31,831
A lot of people have problems with peaks around 5kHz. I much prefer a slight scoop at 4 to 6kHz, over a peak that makes the IEM fatiguing to listen to. Much the same with large and abrupt pina gain, just don't!

After the KZ episode, I suspect reviewers are going over collaborations with a fine tooth comb before release.

I more or less accept that what you see at 5kHz is a limitation of the driver. I suspect that the driver is breaking up there and therefore ringing. Which is bad for dynamic range. Specially if you listen to classical regularly.

So it could probably use a dedicated tweeter, probably a BA, to prevent this. But it'd cost way more than $50 at that point I assume.

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #30,308 of 31,831
So you were one of the people who cleared out all the 2.5mm balanced cables before I got there! All they had were 3.5mm and 4.4mm left. I ordered an mmx and a 2 pin in 3.5mm. It was a pretty good deal, how is the cable?

Ha! Yeah, I ordered just two of them, 2.5mm balanced in MMXC and 2 Pin. The cable is well-made, nicer than any of the Nicehck C24 cables and C16 (I think) cables I've tried in the past. The color of the cable is much better in-person than the pictures on Ali. It's a nice glossy grape tone. The 2 Pin cable though, I'm not sure if the pins are thicker/longer but they make a very, very tight connection. I'm a bit nervous with how much force I'm using to remove the cables from the shells, swapping back and forth between the S12 and the Heart Mirror. I may do one more swap and that will be it. Sound-wise, I'm comparing it to the Tripowin Zoe (updated Zonie) 2.5mm cable I also just recently received. What I'm hearing is the Purple cable is a slightly more resolving, with slightly better instrument separation. But it's rather close in direct comparison, IMO. I'll probably keep the purple on the S12 and continue cable-rolling with the Heart Mirror.

429AD8C6-B3A9-4521-B645-770C2AAC445F.jpeg

5A74C9AE-48B2-4587-BAA5-8B8EC734CA2E.jpeg

AD5D13AA-BBD7-4C37-BCA8-C8E82DD98CC8.jpeg

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #30,309 of 31,831
So, I’ve been away from this rabbit hole for some months (focusing on collecting artists’ merch, moving out of my parents’ home). What budget IEMs are we enjoying lately? Hope everyone is doing well :)

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #30,310 of 31,831
So, I’ve been away from this rabbit hole for some months (focusing on collecting artists’ merch, moving out of my parents’ home). What budget IEMs are we enjoying lately? Hope everyone is doing well :)
Well I'm still holding onto BL-03 with AZLA Sednaearfit L. Which I wonder if it's more of an old faithful at this point.

Personally wouldn't recommend it anymore... But I already have an IEM.

Out of mostly curiosity. What would be current recommendations within $50? I already had to glue the housing back together once.

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #30,311 of 31,831
Well, there are too many... We have plenty of collaborations, collaborations everywhere with famous reviewers.

Starting from the sub 20$ segment, I read positive comments about CCA CRA a lot. Moondrop released Chu so they're selling like crazy. Considering the tips they included in the package already cost some amount, seems like a good deal.

KZ released many many single budget priced DDs after the chaos playing it safe and looks like coming back with the multiple BA implementation again so people are holding their horses.

When it comes to sub 50$ Reecho Sg-01 Ova is getting lots of praises. I have sg-01 first version and I already liked what I hear so I see they improved it with the new version.

We have a strong fight going on around 70$ level. Dunu Titan S, Moondrop Aria... Single DDs with a good ability of technicalities. Aria is on the warmer side meanwhile Titan s is more neutral and slightly better with ultra high end that's what I remember from the reviews. I would also like to mention Sg-03 from Reecho giving a good amount quality bass without giving up on the details. I'm listening really long sessions and I like what I hear even though I'm not a basshead person.

There's Tripowin Olina with almost the same tuning comparing to Tanchjim Oxygen but ofc not in the same league.

We have planar wars. Chi-Fi is pumping planars now. After 7Hz timeless, there's a Dioko released from 7Hz sister company Salnote a collaboration with Crinacle targeting 99$. Some says better some says nah. They had an issue with the units being sent with wrong filter therefore sounding different so the additional packages were sent to the users to change the filters so everyone was a modder suddenly. I'm waiting for more reviews before selling my Timeless and but Dioko but I really don't know if they made a better job with a 99$ IEM than 200$.

These are my observations.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #30,312 of 31,831
I wonder if the Dioko is at least unique enough in that it's priced far lower than competition.

YouTube comment appear to have a LOT of resistance about the idea of 7Hz cannibalizing a predecessor in an attempt to stay ahead of competition.

I'd just like to believe that they'd rather not take any chances at letting them catch up.

... Also I believe Crinacle mentioned the Timeless is single magnet set while the Dioko is double magnet set. I have absolutely no clue if that's a good thing or not.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #30,313 of 31,831

Your wallet has done well these past few months by avoiding Headfi.

Why oh why did you come back??! Now the kidney has to be sold to finance a next IEM!

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #30,314 of 31,831
Cat's Ear Meow arrived today. So here are out of the box impressions.

Cat-Ear-Meow-Dual-Dynamic-Driver-Stereo-2pin-0-78mm-HiFi-Audiophile-In-Ear-Earphone-IEMS.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Cable doesn't need replacing immediately. Mine ended up getting a ivipQ 8 core SPC off my BL-03, to test the connector was in fact TFZ (it is). Tips are okay, but it sounded better with KBEAR 07s. Out of the box it's warm, musical and non-fatiguing. Good stage. Strings and woodwinds are great. Piano also benefits from the heavier note weight. Shells are about the same weight as Aria and very slightly larger. The silver shells are fingerprint magnets and the cat motif is quite discretely done. They look premium, are comfortable and stay in place with a longer stem and no wings. All in all, nice for non-critical listening. Treble-heads look elsewhere as they don't have sparkle on top. Mids aren't too recessed, both male and female vocals sound good. It's not bass head material either but they have good sub-bass extension and good impact where required. I don't have the SG-01 OVA which would be their main competitor at $55. Aria and TTROMSO sound better for warm tunings, but those are more expensive and these aren't burnt in yet. As always YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #30,315 of 31,831
Your wallet has done well these past few months by avoiding Headfi.

Why oh why did you come back??! Now the kidney has to be sold to finance a next IEM!
Honestly, I so relate to this quote... It was all hunky dory for me these few months. But now, I'm already suckered and tempted to get Shanling UA3, Dunu Titan and a bunch of KZ/CCAs. Had last purchased CRA and was on a 70 odd day hiatus 😅😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back