CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 3, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #27,497 of 31,831
It needs a burn in, to my feeling, but it’s a basshead IEM which I’m most certain. Average resolution with warm/half dark tonality, non fatiguing for sure, not for critical listening, it’s for afternoon reading sessions, listening is not main focus with this, you will get oblivious about the music after a while. currently burning in for 15 hours. The muddy bass hopefully gets tamed and I would like to see some air.
Perhaps the difference you are hearing is due to unit variation. The Open Heart Resin did well in the Members' Poll.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #27,498 of 31,831
Perhaps the difference you are hearing is due to unit variation. The Open Heart Resin did well in the Members' Poll.
Where is that poll? I will also put my comments when my arrive. Currently I’m burning TD08 which are from the OEM company that makes also Openheart resins if I’m not wrong.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #27,499 of 31,831
Where is that poll? I will also put my comments when my arrive. Currently I’m burning TD08 which are from the OEM company that makes also Openheart resins if I’m not wrong.
I'm sorry I don't have a link to the results of the Poll. Perhaps some other member can help.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #27,500 of 31,831
thanks. by the way did you really think z04a is a bright iem? it sounds warm and a bit dark to me, and even lacks details. but I find it to be laid back and easy going.
Yeah, I didnt like the treble at all on it. It sounded unrefined and very peaky to me. Which is a shame since its bass and soundstage are pretty impressive and do remind me of their flagship (A6/A7).

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #27,501 of 31,831
any in particular around 50-60 for mobile/pc use? nothing fancy, just to get the work done
I got my sonata hd pro (amp+dac, around $50 ish in us) and neoteck ntk059(just pure amp, $30 ish) yesterday. First the neoteck has lots of problem with hissing! Especially if your iem is not high impedance (16 ohm iem has lot of bg noise! Especially in high gain, the low gain mode suppresses a lot of noise). Even my er4sr suffer from hiss(small but noticeable) for high gain. There is also hissing when you charge, when you are near refrigerator, movement in the 3.5mm jack (I guess you git the drill) :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat:. But the saving grace is when you are hearing music, I never heard them. Sonata hd pro on the other hand, has no hissing issue. The only problem I face with it till now is that it doesn't play well with my smartphone! For example it doesn't drive my er4sr at all from my galaxy s10e! It does drive other low impedance iem though. I will try the trick of using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack to drive it to highest voltage to see if it solves the issue with my smartphone.
Initial impression: both of them makes the sound from my er4sr sharper. They also retrieves more details. Not sure which one retrieves more. Once I hear them enough maybe I will have a definitive answer. Neoteck also colors the sound a bit (warmer, with more bass). On the other hand, sonata hd pro doesn't color the sound to my ear.
So as was pointed out above, maybe sonata hd pro is your best bet.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #27,502 of 31,831
I have both the Open Heart Resin and the Tiandirenhe td06 with the Bio-Driver. The TD06 has the same resin body as the Open Heart but to me the TD06 is a much better IEM in all respects. Bass has more definition and has more impact, mids are more natural with better timbre too. If you are going to choose between the two I would buy the Tiandirenhe, who are probably the OEM manufacturer of the Open Heart anyway.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #27,503 of 31,831
How does the TD08 sound?

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #27,504 of 31,831
It's not Chi-Fi but for a reference tuning, the secret Adorama email price for the Etymotic ER2SE is $55.

https://www.adorama.com/etyer2se.ht...ium=email&utm_campaign=pricedrop&emailprice=t

Reference means it will NOT have a big basshead stomp (though you can EQ). It will reach way down but will not boost the bass the way Harman does. Ety has the ER2XR for that, but they're $100.

Also, the Etys are small and you have to insert them deep or hope that the foamies fit you. Works for some people, doesn't for others. Adorama accepts returns; it costs about $11 for return shipping. So you'd be gambling that to try them. But if you like the sound and fit, Eytmotic is the OG of IEMs, and that's a bargain to match any Chi-Fi--and quicker shipping.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #27,505 of 31,831
Idk, just giving my opinion here.
Neither is very good, but for the price.. this is to be expected. I just want to say that the Panasonic RP-HJE125 (a very popular and cheap pair you should be able to get at nearly any local tech store) with EQ (mostly just a huge dip at 250 and some minor corrections) sounds overall better than the KZ EDX (similar price range, has a lot of good reviews, doesn't live up to the hype imo). I tried EQing the EDX, but everything I try doesn't help much, they don't respond very well to EQing, and it's just a bit too peaky. They sound quite harsh to my taste. If you have sensitive ears I don't recommend them. To much treble, to much of everything above 3-5k, high peaks, and low end is pretty shallow, doesn't go below 20 at all and starts crackling when 50-70 is loud.. :/

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #27,506 of 31,831
Does anyone have these RY4S?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_9h8KWI
https://a.aliexpress.com/_9z0mXs
Hope the links work...

Basically I received my KZ EDX and.. I'm not impressed, actually quite disappointed. They sound pretty harsh, little bass and no bass below 20 at all. I've spent a lot of time playing with EQ, they still sound to harsh in higher frequencies for my taste. I should have just searched for a place to get MH 755, or at least Philips SHE-3855.

I've never really tried earbuds (only ever used in ears), was wondering how these are. They seem to have good reviews
I'm with you. I was on the same boat on feeling disappointed with the EDX, until I swapped the copper cables for silver cables. BIG, BIG difference like night and day! If you try your patience and get some silver cables for them, you won't be disappointed! Now, they are one of my favorite budget earphones with nicely textured bass/sub-bass, transparent midrange and nicely extended treble with overall excellent balance and resolution. Since you already have the EDX, just order silver cables for them. Or, if you have some laying around, just swap them for silver ones.

I personally will never understand why KZ didn't just package the EDX with silver cables instead of copper. Sometimes they just don't have the right people tuning these earphones, IMHO.

-Clear

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #27,508 of 31,831
Idk, just giving my opinion here.
Neither is very good, but for the price.. this is to be expected. I just want to say that the Panasonic RP-HJE125 (a very popular and cheap pair you should be able to get at nearly any local tech store) with EQ (mostly just a huge dip at 250 and some minor corrections) sounds overall better than the KZ EDX (similar price range, has a lot of good reviews, doesn't live up to the hype imo). I tried EQing the EDX, but everything I try doesn't help much, they don't respond very well to EQing, and it's just a bit too peaky. They sound quite harsh to my taste. If you have sensitive ears I don't recommend them. To much treble, to much of everything above 3-5k, high peaks, and low end is pretty shallow, doesn't go below 20 at all and starts crackling when 50-70 is loud.. :/
Well I don't eq, so for me Panasonic ergofit is just a muddy mess. Too much boomy for my test. On the other hand, the slight bright presentation of the edx suits me. I guess people who are treble shy should stay away from edx.

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #27,509 of 31,831

Here is the headfi members poll for their favourite IEMs of 2020:

Favourite DD - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...e-read-the-rules.950854/page-14#post-16168097
Favourite all BA - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...e-read-the-rules.950854/page-14#post-16168099
Favourite hybrid - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...e-read-the-rules.950854/page-14#post-16168103
Favourite tribid - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...e-read-the-rules.950854/page-14#post-16168109

This is just a poll of favourite IEMs by consumers, not a gauge of best IEM or best reviewed IEM k.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back