CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 27, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #27,046 of 31,831
"Not being honest" is now a new assumption.

No, I truly enjoy the duality!
Like Yin and Yang - two sides of the Whole.

I am aware of the science (that also helps me to guide my cable quest), but then I really cherish my imagination, and it works beautifully with psychoacoustics (the sense of sound seems to be the least controlled by the mind), few little things to enjoy in this world.
We can stop confronting each other. You are too defensive for a debate in which I agree with you over resistance, but your silly remarks about colour are too condescending for me. You are welcome now to the last word as I leave the thread. Respect was there a few minutes ago, now it's totally gone. Enjoy.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #27,047 of 31,831
We can stop confronting each other. You are too defensive for a debate in which I agree with you over resistance, but your silly remarks about colour are too condescending for me. You are welcome now to the last word as I leave the thread. Respect was there a few minutes ago, now it's totally gone. Enjoy.
Now "silly"...
"Respect... is gone"...

There is no debate.
You project your insecurities and with your subjective judgement generate direct insults.

Sorry, I am not at the highest moral levels not to be a bit defensive in such situation.

So my last words here: your actions - your karma!

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #27,048 of 31,831
Crossmodal association is well established at this point, and affects most people to some degree. In extreme cases it manifests as synesthesia, where experiences with one sense directly create experiences in another sense (sound creating colors or shapes or both, or vice versa). Synesthesia is more common in artists, where it is often an asset (or even the main driver for) their creative process. Typically synesthesia has a genetic basis, but in some cases it is learned and in rare cases brain injuries can cause sysesthesia and there have been some cases of people becoming musical savants with synesthesia after a brain injury. In everyday people, crossmodal associations typically have more subtle effects where most everyone experiences them to some degree. It's been well established that color affects taste (one of the reasons there is such a focus on the appearance of mass-produced foods and the success and heavy use of artificial coloring and color appearance preservatives), and color also affects the perception of sound (and other senses, and can impact mood). It's not surprising at all that a cable color can impact how music sounds (and that this effect could vary from person to person). A few articles for further reading for those interested:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hearing-colors-tasting-shapes/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010945212001323
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4671663/
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/88417/12-famous-artists-synesthesia

Regarding the electrical aspects of cables, let me provide you with two extreme scenarios, one where cables could make no electrical difference to someone, and one where they would.

Person A has all single driver headphones and headphone amplifier(s) with low output impedance and plenty of power to drive the headphones with standard single ended cables. Person B has a mix of headphones that includes multi-driver headphones with crossovers and very low impedances, single driver headphones that require a lot of power, and their headphone amplifier(s) have high output impedances and/or variable performance on different outputs (i.e. a balanced output that is wired to a separate balanced amplifier that has both more power and is higher quality than the single-ended amplifier inside the same box). Person A will not experience any significant electrical differences in cables unless they use a bad cable (either manufacturing error or designed horribly wrong) while Person B could experience a range of differences depending on the cable and earphone/headphone combination they are using with certain outputs and amplifiers. If neither person experiences a high degree of crossmodal association (i.e. isn't very affected by the color of the cable) Person A could reasonably conclude that cables make no difference, while Person B would rightfully say they make a lot of difference. (Add in variable amounts of crossmodal associations in each person for a wider range of experiences/opinions on the matter).

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #27,050 of 31,831
The good ol' cable debate always brings in some new perspectives for everyone. Once in a while, they're refreshing and informative as well. It is also somewhat a variant of the science vs faith debate. I won't delve much as it is definitely out of the scope of this website let alone the thread. Nonetheless, it is very fascinating.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #27,051 of 31,831
The BIE is a muddy mess. If the Mh750 is even the slightest muddy with the bass, the BIE is going to make him puke.
Well, to be honest it has QC issues and not all get what is hyped. I also got one that had venting issues (driver flex) and sounded muddy mess.
But... I get what BGGAR hyped about them - IF You get unit with no driver flex and actual driver back venting QC OK.
I re-shelled them after fixing driver back venting done badly. They sounded great after fix in original shells also.
11184629.jpeg
They sound similar in tuning as modded KPE... maybe even overall coherency is tad better than KPE but can`t beat KPE micro-details.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #27,052 of 31,831
Well, to be honest it has QC issues and not all get what is hyped. I also got one that had venting issues (driver flex) and sounded muddy mess.
But... I get what BGGAR hyped about them - IF You get unit with no driver flex and actual driver back venting QC OK.
I re-shelled them after fixing driver back venting done badly. They sounded great after fix in original shells also.
11184629.jpeg
They sound similar in tuning as modded KPE... maybe even overall coherency is tad better than KPE but can`t beat KPE micro-details.
Didnt know it has qc issues....

At this point there are a lot of other iems I would recommend over it. I take the blon bl-01 over it 100/100 times.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #27,053 of 31,831
Didnt know it has qc issues....

At this point there are a lot of other iems I would recommend over it. I take the blon bl-01 over it 100/100 times.
I have Blon bl-03 and like fixed BIE tad more. Fixed BIE has actually more details and transparency/layering.
But I have no interest in arguing... just recommended something with amazing value IF You get good version of it.
To prove my point it has issues, compare my original unit(green line) graph to others out there - that BIG mid-bass down to sub-bass "ARC-hill" was AWFUL sounding and I really thought same as You said - muddy mess with treble spike!

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #27,054 of 31,831
Resistance is objective.
If your cable has infinite resistance - no sound, as plain simple as this!

Cable of higher resistance may cause changes in sound.
Then two cables of the same resistance were never proven to sound any different.

I don't think AliExpress has any infinite resistance cables, luckily.

Obviously you want to get a cable that is the correct resistance for your headphones. Meditate on "OHM."

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #27,055 of 31,831
I have Blon bl-03 and like fixed BIE tad more. Fixed BIE has actually more details and transparency/layering.
But I have no interest in arguing... just recommended something with amazing value IF You get good version of it.
To prove my point it has issues, compare my original unit(green line) graph to others out there - that BIG mid-bass down to sub-bass "ARC-hill" was AWFUL sounding and I really thought same as You said - muddy mess with treble spike!
Gotta add the BIE with the Urbanfun as another gamble lol.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #27,056 of 31,831

Have been by for a while, digging that Avatar Coil :beerchug:

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #27,058 of 31,831
I knew this would happen... :deadhorse:
The good ol' cable debate always brings in some new perspectives for everyone. Once in a while, they're refreshing and informative as well. It is also somewhat a variant of the science vs faith debate. I won't delve much as it is definitely out of the scope of this website let alone the thread. Nonetheless, it is very fascinating.

D520464C-809D-4AEB-BD61-D32AAB574F4B.gif

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #27,059 of 31,831
I don't think AliExpress has any infinite resistance cables, luckily.

With a pair of wire cutters you can make your own out of any cable. :relaxed:

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #27,060 of 31,831
Many tests have found that expensive cables are a placebo effect. Go ahead and come at me cable believers.

As a member of the scientific community I encourage you to reference/cite your findings with links/publications to the direct claim that you make saying: "expensive cables are a placebo effect". Thank you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In all seriousness, i'm genuinely curious as to what these studies are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back